West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

On 17/04/2020 at 22:22, MacGafraidh said:

I think the ex Juniors will love the season fixtures in advance. Allow for proper planning and the like.

I'm not so sure about that - I think that many of them will soil themselves in terror when faced with an unfamiliar concept. We'll see.

On 17/04/2020 at 23:22, MacGafraidh said:

I think the ex Juniors will love the season fixtures in advance. Allow for proper planning and the like.

They had that last season. The interesting part will be how the fixture secretary copes with the call offs due to weather. Unless the pitches know they're not Junior anymore and drain themselves better as a result.

They had that last season. The interesting part will be how the fixture secretary copes with the call offs due to weather. Unless the pitches know they're not Junior anymore and drain themselves better as a result.
We didn't have a full season of fixtures from the start.

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm not so sure about that - I think that many of them will soil themselves in terror when faced with an unfamiliar concept. We'll see.

The Juniors have moved over but it seems so has the Junior baiters. FFS give it a rest.

I hope Kenny Young puts his name forward for the fixture secretary. He had a difficult job with call offs and cup dates being shifted and even though he was a rookie at the job he made a good fist of it.
Kennie isn't connected to a club at the moment, so that may be difficult for him on that technicality. I also understand that the guy who does the LL and EoSFL fixtures will likely be doing the WoSFL as well, at least initially anyway.

1 minute ago, glensmad said:
18 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:
I hope Kenny Young puts his name forward for the fixture secretary. He had a difficult job with call offs and cup dates being shifted and even though he was a rookie at the job he made a good fist of it.

Kennie isn't connected to a club at the moment, so that may be difficult for him on that technicality. I also understand that the guy who does the LL and EoSFL fixtures will likely be doing the WoSFL as well, at least initially anyway.

Shame really he did a good job.....unfortunately it was our fixtures that gave him the biggest headache.

Good fist of it isn’t really suffice though is it regardless of difficulties he had. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it - if they have someone in place to do the fixtures that have successfully carried it out successfully in the East and lowland league for last couple of seasons then I don’t think it should change.

1 minute ago, geo87 said:

Good fist of it isn’t really suffice though is it regardless of difficulties he had. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it - if they have someone in place to do the fixtures that have successfully carried it out successfully in the East and lowland league for last couple of seasons then I don’t think it should change.

That leaves that person with fixtures for at least 9 leagues. Heavy going.

2 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

That leaves that person with fixtures for at least 9 leagues. Heavy going.

It helps that there will be a uniform calendar between 3 league associations and he's got this time to plan things out well in advance once the leagues are announced.

The only thing that has the potential to mess things up in a normal year is a good SFA Scottish Cup run. This year it will likely be trickier since we don't know when the season will start or finish.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It helps that there will be a uniform calendar between 3 league associations and he's got this time to plan things out well in advance once the leagues are announced.

The only thing that has the potential to mess things up in a normal year is a good SFA Scottish Cup run. This year it will likely be trickier since we don't know when the season will start or finish.

Are you including inclement weather in "a normal year"?

Edited by jimbaxters

Well I'll hand out more plaudits re fixtures if clubs don't end up with 6 out of last 7 games at home ( us last season ) or other clubs being 12 games behind or you end up ( actually scheduled to end season ) playing biggest 2 home games midweek at start of March. Floodlights should begin to make life easier ongoing but too often the Juniors ended up with lopsided seasons - playing half a season in Apr and May or being finished months ahead or behind other teams in your league. 

Edited by BANKIEBILL

37 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Are you including inclement weather in "a normal year"?

Yes. With postponements you can still fit things in here and there. With a good Scottish Cup run you're adding additional games that aren't considered as part of the lower league calendar. Think its from the Second Round onwards you'll usually have League fixtures scheduled for the EOS.  So go on a run to the 4th Round there's 3x league fixtures on top of weather postponements you're now having to slot into the calendar.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

Yes. With postponements you can still fit things in here and there. With a good Scottish Cup run you're adding additional games that aren't considered as part of the lower league calendar. Think its from the Second Round onwards you'll usually have League fixtures scheduled for the EOS.  So go on a run to the 4th Round there's 3x league fixtures on top of weather postponements you're now having to slot into the calendar.

That was my point. It's not only cup runs which cause issues. The artists-formerly-known-as-juniors grounds don't enjoy wet weather so fixtures man has to be prepared for it.

Having said that, of course a planned list is a much better prospect.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That was my point. It's not only cup runs which cause issues. The artists-formerly-known-as-juniors grounds don't enjoy wet weather so fixtures man has to be prepared for it.

Although if Talbot get there floodlights up and working over the summer it wont be an issue as you will be able to play midweek during the winter (unless there are any issues with the pitch)  rather than having to cram in all the fixtures into the last month or so of the season

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

There have been plenty of clubs in the pyramid that have pitches with problems. They still get their league season done in time.

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

Although if Talbot get there floodlights up and working over the summer it wont be an issue as you will be able to play midweek during the winter (unless there are any issues with the pitch)  rather than having to cram in all the fixtures into the last month or so of the season

That's a factor that helps solve some of the congestion problems. Certainly something the West Region was embracing more this year with the number of midweek fixtures trying to utilise those clubs with floodlights.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Absolutely correct. However, my point was broader than Talbot.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There have been plenty of clubs in the pyramid that have pitches with problems. They still get their league season done in time.

The fact is there is going to be an influx of clubs with heavy pitches and being in the West, the weather is wetter. They all got their season finished on time before but it was a bunfight towards the end of the season. Realism needs to kick in here, rather than saying that the ex-Juniors will love having a full fixture list. Any list will be notional and grossly affected by the weather.

cecily strong snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by jimbaxters