West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

6 hours ago, the rambler said:

I thought the idea of a Pyramid was to have teams playing at the right level with the opportunity to progress.  SOSFL is by passing 2 tiers, by merit, to achieve automatic promotion to Tier 5 if the proposal to promote all feeder League Champions comes to pass. 

The SoS is Tier 6. It's not 'bypassing' any tiers.

If you mean you think it's Tier 8 'quality' , im afraid that's just simply wrong, going by results against EoS teams very recently, ie. this season etc.

4 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

At the risk of repeating myself, I said a while back on the Juniors sub board that no-one wants to be the kind of complete pie that moves into a neighbourhood and then immediately starts trying to order the new neighbours around.

The SoS is clearly the smallest and weakest of the three feeder leagues, and almost every year won't challenge either the West of East for a promotion slot. On the odd occasion they do, they'll get there on merit.

I don't get why some people find their continued existence at Tier 6 so offensive...they cater for a clearly-defined and discrete part of the country after all.

This ^^

This "SOSL bad" shite is going to run and run, isn't it? Luckily, it's never going to get old. 

Anyway, to answer an earlier question, I feel that there are no more than a handful of clubs outwith the current SPFL who are likely to establish themselves in the third (let alone second) tier. Brechin, shite as they currently are and winning few friends with their whining re: the boundary, are probably the most successful part-time club from a small town to date, and it took them three decades to get their first promotion. They had a few decentish seasons in the second tier, but were never able to establish themselves in it. I can't see clubs from towns half the size (or less) of Brechin being able to do so, even if they are in the central belt and have access to a larger pool of players. 

It also remains to be seen if the current big fishies in tiny little ponds' fanbases will hold up when they stop winning things every year.

Edited by Bad Wolf

4 hours ago, spit said:

We need to remember we're the new kids in town here, because we've entered this league doesn't give us some god given right to start interfering, my club kello could easily have applied to the Sosfl but didn't, and honestly we'd have finished pretty decent in it, last season we played friendly matches against Abbey Vale won 9-2 and nithsdale wanderers up 6-0 game got stopped after a bad injury to a player, but at the end of the day each team plays in a league to suit them, so let's stop the sosfl shouldn't get this or that, and play by the rules thats in place, if you didn't like the set up then you could have stayed where we were

Agreed.

Ps Nithsdale are one of the weaker teams in the SoS.

5 hours ago, BMan said:
7 hours ago, the rambler said:
If all 3 Champions were to go up then the feeder Leagues need to be Tier 6 standard. 
The SOSFL is clearly not. I am not trying to criticise that League nor open old arguments. 
The reward should be for merit not geographical location. 
What would stop WOSFL teams switching to SOSFL to short cut the route to the LL? 

Didn't take long......

What didn't take long? The West Junior clubs (that have yet to kick a ball in Senor football) dictating how the Pyramid should be run?

3 hours ago, G4Mac said:

That would only be for one season though, it wouldn't set the precedent.

Until the clubs are licensed and the LL gets stronger the spfl playoff will remain.

The future of this depends solely on the sfa granting licences and clubs getting stronger and stronger.

Right now there are only Kelty and Bonnyrigg who would make a good go of the spfl in the LL, the rest aren't at that level yet.

As all the teams in the LL are licenced, i still think the SPFL bottom team should got straight down. 

The play off is too easy for the SPFL sides, 3/5 have escaped the drop due to it. 

Finish bottom of any league, you should be relegated  automatically IMHO.

7 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

What didn't take long? The West Junior clubs (that have yet to kick a ball in Senor football) dictating how the Pyramid should be run?

All we're seeing is the same repeated discussions that took place when the EoSFL saw their membership increase in 2018. Increased promotion to the Lowland League and SPFL and possible downgrading of the SoSFL. It's nothing new and has been repeated ad nauseam.

EDIT: Examples of a couple of specific threads created for the sole purpose of talking about since I can't be bothered delving through endless threads on the pyramid etc.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Short of three automatic relegation slots from the LL being opened up - which isn't going to happen any time soon - that won't be the case though....and yeah, it probably would be inequitable were that to happen.

There are more inequitable things that probably need addressing before that'll come to pass though...the pyramid in name only in the north of the country where 17 clubs have 50% of the chances to be promoted to the SPFL while 140-odd are now playing for the same prize south of the Tay for example.

As things stand, and I'd imagine for at least the next few years it'll be a three-way playoff with one of the entrants more than likely to be consistently the weakest of the three by some margin. 

Exactly. Plenty upheaval going on south of the Tay, time for upheaval north of the Tay !

SoS at Tier 6 is an anomaly, but not requiring urgent attention. 

Get the WoS up and running first, deal with SoS later.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

From the cup ties I would say they're better than Cove, so they're currently better than everyone in L2. The ceiling of their potential is probably to be one of those part-time clubs that make it to the Championship, like Alloa, Dumbarton or... Brechin.

But who knows which clubs will seize the opportunities in the new system, or whether Talbot will be able to sustain their recent successes? If we'd been here 10-15 years ago we'd have been talking about Linlithgow Rose shooting up the divisions, now we don't look like getting out of the EoS any time soon. We'll see.

Cheers,so  i wasnt a million miles off in my estimate of their current level.

1 hour ago, G4Mac said:

If their champion was licensed then yes. That is generally how it works.

If the nrsjfa join the North pyramid does that mean their licensed champion shouldn't get promoted because they are perceived to be a poorer standard than the west region?

If you do away with the 3rd promotion place from the sosfl the LL would then only have 2 places up for grabs instead of 3. If you keep the 3rd place and the sosfl champion isn't licensed under the current format the place goes to the nearest eligible club in the eosfl or wosfl.....losing the sosfl most likely loses that place from the reckoning. Them staying where they are is the least problematic aspect of the process, particularly if they are so poor and they don't want licensed anyway, means the eosfl and wosfl would likely have a shot at 3 spaces most seasons as opposed to 2 if the sosfl drops a level.

And currently only 4 of the SoS teams are licenced anyway.

......for someone associated with the west complaining about the SoS before a ball is kicked.

25 minutes ago, BMan said:
1 hour ago, theesel1994 said:

......for someone associated with the west complaining about the SoS before a ball is kicked.

The exact same thing happened in the East.

29 minutes ago, BMan said:
1 hour ago, theesel1994 said:

It's a joke - what difference does it make. It comes to a play-off, if the West team is better they will win the play-off so it isn't the end of the world.

1 hour ago, BMan said:
2 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

It was bound to happen .....

On 14/04/2020 at 21:11, edinabear said:

Ah jesus. Robert James will be here in a few minutes asking never ending questions. 

How could I ignore that invitation ?

However, sorry to disappoint you, as no questions today........... Keep safe everyone ! 

7 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

All we're seeing is the same repeated discussions that took place when the EoSFL saw their membership increase in 2018. Increased promotion to the Lowland League and SPFL and possible downgrading of the SoSFL. It's nothing new and has been repeated ad nauseam.

EDIT: Examples of a couple of specific threads created for the sole purpose of talking about since I can't be bothered delving through endless threads on the pyramid etc.

If anyone is keen enough to check my past posts they will see that I see no need to alter the SoS position in the pyramid whether or not the WoS exists. In a play-off situation the best club will come out on top or best two if there's to be two promotion slots to the Lowland league. If a promoted club comes from the SoS then it's purely on merit. End of story. Hopefully things will now move quickly to allow two promotion spots.

The other thing is that I have tried to play a small part here, like many others, to try to help the possibility of the new WoS to come into existence. It's taken a couple of years but, thankfully, we are there at last! 

Edited by Dev

8 hours ago, BMan said:

I would be surprised if the likes of Talbot, Petershill, Cumnock and others haven't been working away in the background. You can pretty much do the work required without needing too much involvement from the SFA Licencing Dept.

So for example, Talbots lights go up in June, that may be the final box to tick and they ask to be audited, they'll be well ahead of the February deadline.

Hi Burnie, see on this new thread are we allowed to suggest regional leagues at T3? 

You still the boss? 😃