West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

Glad it's now happening, welcome in guys.  Nothing but positive about our move to the EoSFL, and I was a doubter,  administration and representation in the league has been first class and if you get the same in the West it'll give teams a wee lift and a push on.

Bit of luck we'll see a bit of work between the three associations to shape things above us and to work together for all of our benefits.

Hopefully will create a great tournament in the South challenge cup as well.

Good to have you all in.

6 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Since it will be a topic of discussion. Everyone happy with the idea of using the first season of Conferences to form tiered divisions right down?

1. WoS Premier
  2. WoS First
  3. WoS Second
  4. WoS Third

Or

1. WoS Premier
  2. WoS First
  3. WoS Second regionalised

Or

would you prefer to see the EoSFL model adopted of just form the WoS Premier and work from their way down?

The Option of regionalised Tier 8 is the best shout. It means you're only relegating sides by two leagues and not three or possibly four. It also makes the league attractive to ambitious Amatuer clubs to apply, if they're only travelling in their district. 

There's also the fact it could Mirror the EoS which makes it look nice and symetrical ;) 

The lowland league really has to relegate more all 3 champions should be goin up
The LL won't relegate more of their clubs unless the spfl relegate automatically and stop the stupid playoff.

It is a really silly scenario, I agree that it should be at minimum 2 places in the LL, the spfl playoff has had its day now, time for progression.

But what you have is turkeys voting for Christmas scenario, spfl clubs will never vote to have it as a straight relegation place, sadly which on turn means the LL is unlikely to open their own trap door.

So until there is a change of approach it might take some time to change the promotion places available.

7 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

The LL won't relegate more of their clubs unless the spfl relegate automatically and stop the stupid playoff.

It is a really silly scenario, I agree that it should be at minimum 2 places in the LL, the spfl playoff has had its day now, time for progression.

But what you have is turkeys voting for Christmas scenario, spfl clubs will never vote to have it as a straight relegation place, sadly which on turn means the LL is unlikely to open their own trap door.

So until there is a change of approach it might take some time to change the promotion places available.

I agree that there should be automatic relegation from the SPFL, but not having that is not a valid argument for the LL not to agree to relegate 2, just 1 is simply becoming indefensible.

A stronger LL is the best way to get the SPFL to agree to automatic relegation.

I think the LL will open up to two spaces, there wasn't a massive requirement for it to open up more, but now there will be with the wosfl on board.

I maybe came across as me defending the LL stance I put across, I am certainly not supportive of that approach, quite the contrary.

I think the LL should have at least 2 relegation spaces now, regardless of the spfl stance.

Sadly though we live in the world where two wrong somehow make everything right and balanced. What will also delay things is the licence process.

I would suspect that until there are more wosfl teams sfa licensed the LL promotion spots will remain as is.

And just in case you weren't aware all the applicants for sfa licence this year have been told there will be a delay in the decision, however the letter thst was sent was written in a manner where it was wide open for a change of direction from the sfa in the future. If I didn't know any better, hopefully im wrong though, I think the applicant clubs won't get their licences this year.

4 hours ago, G4Mac said:

I dont think its anything to do with number of SPFL relegation spots, its more to do with having licensed teams able to get promoted. Without checking I think there has only been 1 promotion play off since the LL started (Kelty vs Threave) and on a fair number of years no licensed champions of EoS or SoS. Im fairly certain if there were license teams missing out on promotion year on year due to the play off they would do something about it. 

I dont think its anything to do with number of SPFL relegation spots, its more to do with having licensed teams able to get promoted. Without checking I think there has only been 1 promotion play off since the LL started (Kelty vs Threave) and on a fair number of years no licensed champions of EoS or SoS. Im fairly certain if there were license teams missing out on promotion year on year due to the play off they would do something about it. 
I think its all intertwined together, the spfl opening up a direct promotion, the sea licensing and the LL promotion places. Having a fully flowing pyramid in the country is going to take time and will involve some head scratching moments along the way. This will happen when the LL is filled with more Edinburgh citys, keltys, bonnyriggs, Auchinlecks etc which would all add strength to the spfl, as would similarly positioned hfl teams like cove.

But to get there clubs require licensing, which is becoming a continuously changing process. The sfa seem to want to delay or limit the numbers gaining their licence.

(my view on this is that the spfl sides want to keep what they have, as long as they can, delaying progression of clubs from outwith the spfl, most likely as its a long road back into the spfl from the HL or LL, I'm sure Shire and Berwick fans will agree that from their experiences in the LL)

For some reason the sfa has made moves recently to change the goalposts for licensing, and whilst this is good for raising ground standards in the game, they maybe forget that some clubs have worked towards their licence and ground improvements for a considerable number of years.

48 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Also Bonnyrigg 

17 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Rothesay too, and maybe Dunoon.

Drymen is a guid day oot and have a reasonable ground, incidentally.

For those in the know in the amateur game which clubs currently have their own ground which wouldn't be too far off WoSFL standards?

(Don't say Third Lanark)

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

For those in the know in the amateur game which clubs currently have their own ground which wouldn't be too far off WoSFL standards?

(Don't say Third Lanark)

This lis a bit out of date but should be a good reference point at least

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=519413;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=334758930

22 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

That was a good wee read. Cheers for that

8 hours ago, the tin man said:

The lowland league really has to relegate more all 3 champions should be goin up

That won’t be a major issue initially as any champion club would need to be licensed to get into the LL.

If all 3 Champions were to go up then the feeder Leagues need to be Tier 6 standard. 

The SOSFL is clearly not. I am not trying to criticise that League nor open old arguments. 

The reward should be for merit not geographical location. 

What would stop WOSFL teams switching to SOSFL to short cut the route to the LL? 

Edited by the rambler