Vehicles From Strange Countries You've Seen In Strange Places

Had a quick look and it looks like it would cost a minimum of £2000 plus the cost of driving to Denmark to take a car on the ferry. Suppose it might be worth while if there's a group of you with a lot of kit in a van or 4x4, think hiring in Iceland is pricey.

I hired a 2015 Dacia duster 4x4 in Iceland, for a week at the end of last year. I’m sure it was about £180 for the week which isn’t too bad at all. They asked when we were picking it up if we wanted to upgrade to to a Range Rover for an additional £800. The duster was more than adequate, although the excess quoted for a crash was ridiculously expensive.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

IMG_3874.jpg

Didn’t get a photo of the South Korean plates, but it did have them! Spotted in August 2018 in Newcraighall Train Station car park.

Did it have the writing on it before it parked in Newcraighall or after?

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I saw a car from Georgia when I was on holiday in Halkidiki, Greece a couple of years ago 

I suppose you cut through Turkey to get there but it was exotic to me.

I saw a car with Belarusian plates in Vienna last year.  I guess it's not *too far* but I'd never seen one before.

Edited by Highland Capital

On 14/04/2020 at 18:26, ICTJohnboy said:

Bloody hell, that triggered off a memory. Sometime way back in the late 80s/early 90s the queen was scheduled to open something or other, in Buchanan St, Glasgow. Given that this was at the height of IRA attacks in the UK, the police were taking security very seriously and took the decision to remove all vehicles in the vicinity from that part of Buchanan St. They managed to trace the owners of all the cars and got them to remove their vehicles.

All except for one, that was, and as as luck would have it, it just happened to have an Irish registration number. Sniffer dogs were sent for, and they were going berserk sniffing around the boot area of this car.

The next step was to evacuate the area and a controlled explosion was used to open up the boot of this car.

What did they find?  2 lbs of sausages, and a pound of mince.!

Bangers shirley

Link please

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Bangers shirley

Link please

It was Glasgow, so more likely square.

Think the story came from the Tom Shields Diary column in what was then the Glasgow Herald.

eta..

Thoughts of bangers, square and links is making me bloody starving.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

17 hours ago, superbigal said:

Cars in Turkey are a real mix. I captured a couple of examples we overtook whilenin a taxi. Usually ancient Renault's.20190803_192356.jpeg20190803_192101.jpeg

White car looks like a Zastava (Yugo). Is the yellow one an old Skoda?

Talking of old Communist Bloc motors I once saw a Dacia in Germany 30 years ago. It was based on the Renault 12 and by the sound of it the engine was based on a petrol lawnmower. I'm now driving a modern Dacia and I can say they've improved a bit!

Do you ever get Trabants still about?  The only time I've ever seen one was in a museum.

I saw an elderly couple clinging on to the DDR and getting out of a surprisingly well maintained Trabant in Colditz just over 10 years ago. I do wonder how many are on the road now that aren’t novelty taxis and the like in Berlin.

On 15/04/2020 at 04:59, Utter Roaster said:

Last time I was over in Japan. Wandering around Takamatsu waiting for the ferry for a day trip to Shodoshima. Thought it was so odd at the time, I took a photo!

MVIMG_20200209_110719[1].jpg

Where else did you go on Shikoku?

On 15/04/2020 at 14:29, SlipperyP said:

One of the these is seen about our village now and again.  Left over from the USA/Vietnam war.

wPNRbWQLBggIFZHTGybCnF-7NS2twaaRCYBfPtWT

I see loads of old classic 50's USA cars when driving down to Hua Hin every few months.

Seen one of these last time (taking over me at a fair few knots)

hqdefault.jpg

A lot of the US Military hardware will be from WW2 too. Col Fletcher Prouty told the story of speaking to the army harbour master in Okinawa in late 1945 about where all the hardware that was being loaded onto ships was heading too. He was told Korea and Vietnam.......it's almost as if those consequent wars were planned.....

11 hours ago, Enigma said:

I saw an elderly couple clinging on to the DDR and getting out of a surprisingly well maintained Trabant in Colditz just over 10 years ago. I do wonder how many are on the road now that aren’t novelty taxis and the like in Berlin.

Anti pollution laws might have done for a lot of the privately owned ones. This is also why they stopped selling Ladas in the UK.

There used to be a Trabi went about Edinburgh 15 years ago. 

On 15/04/2020 at 15:00, peasy23 said:

I was watching James May's people's cars yesterday, and they reckon that the first car seen by almost a third of the world's population was a US Army jeep.

I find that hard to believe.

18 hours ago, sjc said:

Where else did you go on Shikoku?

A lot of the US Military hardware will be from WW2 too. Col Fletcher Prouty told the story of speaking to the army harbour master in Okinawa in late 1945 about where all the hardware that was being loaded onto ships was heading too. He was told Korea and Vietnam.......it's almost as if those consequent wars were planned.....

We had a weekend (which turned into a comedy sketch thanks to a broken down car) to see a pal, with a trip to Shodoshima in the middle (and I think the car was actually there not Takamatsu, sorry). Went to the soy sauce museum and saw some olive groves, but it was off season and because the car was kaput had to do it by bus.

31 minutes ago, Utter Roaster said:

We had a weekend (which turned into a comedy sketch thanks to a broken down car) to see a pal, with a trip to Shodoshima in the middle (and I think the car was actually there not Takamatsu, sorry). Went to the soy sauce museum and saw some olive groves, but it was off season and because the car was kaput had to do it by bus.

I haven't been to Shodoshima. Will need to check it out.