Vehicles From Strange Countries You've Seen In Strange Places

In the normal set of stances, it's common to see foreign cars on the roads, but what are some of the more unusual locations you've seen on the number plates of vehicles.  For me - 

Argentina - A motorbike on Buchanan Street in Glasgow.

Faroe Islands - Heading past the Caley Stadium towards the Kessock Bridge (heading north I suppose!).

Germany - Now seeing a German van in Britain isn't too unusual, but seeing one in Reykjavik was a little stranger.

Russia - A campervan  heading into Inverness on the A96 last summer.

Edited by Highland Capital

You tend to get the odd car from exotic places in Edinburgh during festival time. Over the years I've seen cars from Andorra, San Marino and Russia. I think I've probably seen a car from every EU country in Scotland plus Norway and Switzerland. I've never seen any from Serbia, North Macedonia or Albania but they probably can't get/afford the visas to visit.

I've even seen a car with South African number plates in Edinburgh. I presume it was shipped over 

35 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The world's entire supply of Lada Rivas are now seeing out their days as taxis in Ecuador, for some reason. 

When I was a tax dodging student in the 1990s I got the bus from Edinburgh to Aberdeen each term. You'd go from black cabs in Edinburgh, see Ladas used as taxis in Dundee and in oil boom Aberdeen it was Mercedes.

Maybe Dundee's Ladas are now in Ecuador..

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

You tend to get the odd car from exotic places in Edinburgh during festival time. Over the years I've seen cars from Andorra, San Marino and Russia. I think I've probably seen a car from every EU country in Scotland plus Norway and Switzerland. I've never seen any from Serbia, North Macedonia or Albania but they probably can't get/afford the visas to visit.

I've even seen a car with South African number plates in Edinburgh. I presume it was shipped over 

I saw a Hungarian tour bus by Loch Ness a few years ago.  Seeing Hungarian and other Eastern European cars isn't unusual but seeing a bus full of tourists coming all the way from Hungary was a bit unusual.

57 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

In the normal set of stances, it's common to see foreign cars on the roads, but what are some of the more unusual locations you've seen on the number plates of vehicles.  For me - 

Argentina - A motorbike on Buchanan Street in Glasgow.

Bloody hell, that triggered off a memory. Sometime way back in the late 80s/early 90s the queen was scheduled to open something or other, in Buchanan St, Glasgow. Given that this was at the height of IRA attacks in the UK, the police were taking security very seriously and took the decision to remove all vehicles in the vicinity from that part of Buchanan St. They managed to trace the owners of all the cars and got them to remove their vehicles.

All except for one, that was, and as as luck would have it, it just happened to have an Irish registration number. Sniffer dogs were sent for, and they were going berserk sniffing around the boot area of this car.

The next step was to evacuate the area and a controlled explosion was used to open up the boot of this car.

What did they find?  2 lbs of sausages, and a pound of mince.!

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's one permanently parked on Garrioch Road in Maryhill

The wee guys on Argyle Street with the pan pipes have been sent on a liberation mission. Although given they've been there 10+ years, not a very successful one. 

Edited by carpetmonster

One of the these is seen about our village now and again.  Left over from the USA/Vietnam war.

wPNRbWQLBggIFZHTGybCnF-7NS2twaaRCYBfPtWT

I see loads of old classic 50's USA cars when driving down to Hua Hin every few months.

Seen one of these last time (taking over me at a fair few knots)

hqdefault.jpg