Does anyone else think non-licensed clubs should still take part in the end of season play off to go an overall "champion"? Could be a good day out for fans and a nice way to end a season with an extra trophy and decent crowds. If the winner of the three way play off isn't licensed then the 2nd (or 3rd) team would go up.

Interesting one really. Only a licensed club will partake in the overall playoff for the LL, if that wos champion isn't licensed the playoff would most likely be between the eos and sos, if both champions were licensed.

If only one champion is licensed between the 3 leagues then they will be promoted automatically with no need for a playiff.

It remains to be seen if they would still hold the overall playoff, they don't if the sos champion isn't licensed and the eos champion is. The eos champion is promoted automatically.

I'd say the individual wos champions should playoff to determine the overall champion, but that means they run the risk of losing the overall playoff place if the wos champion of champions isn't licensed.

On 16/04/2020 at 09:03, the rambler said:

From the attendances on here surely social distancing could be observed to allow minor Leagues to return a bit quicker. Plenty of room for 200 people to spread out at football grounds. 

Queue for the toilet at halftime would be right down the street!

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Does anyone else think non-licensed clubs should still take part in the end of season play off to go an overall "champion"? Could be a good day out for fans and a nice way to end a season with an extra trophy and decent crowds. If the winner of the three way play off isn't licensed then the 2nd (or 3rd) team would go up.

As FWF says, yes, definitely. The league needs a champion whether they're licensed or not. I don't think any of the three EoS conference winners had a licence when they played-off.

You could have a situation in which the champion is unlicensed but beats licensed clubs in the play-offs, and then no-one from the WoS would be eligible for the LL promotion play-off. That's just how it goes.

The play-offs in the EoS were great drama last year - at various points on the final day each of Penicuik, Broxburn and Bonnyrigg were winning it. Linlithgow Rose were playing at Penicuik in a cup tie while the final play-off game was taking place between Broxburn and Bonnyrigg. I remember it was phones oot all day, then as things got complex it was abacuses oot. The younger generation struggled to work it out - they lacked the experience of following Scotland at World Cups and going through this every four years. Bonnyrigg were the clear team of the season but they were tiring towards the end and almost missed out.

Apologies for not being clearer but what I meant was whoever the overall WoS champion could enter the three way playoff with SoS/EoS teams.

Eg next season Threave, Talbot and Tranent* are the three winners of the SoS/WoS/EoS but, of the three, only Threave are licensed. So only Threave will get promoted by default. But should the three clubs still have a play off at the end of the season even tho' promotion is decided? Or is it just an unnecessary fixture no one will care about by that point?

* apologies if Tranent are licensed. I can't remember if they are or not.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Apologies for not being clearer but what I meant was whoever the overall WoS champion could enter the three way playoff with SoS/EoS teams.

Eg next season Threave, Talbot and Tranent* are the three winners of the SoS/WoS/EoS but, of the three, only Threave are licensed. So only Threave will get promoted by default. But should the three clubs still have a play off at the end of the season even tho' promotion is decided? Or is it just an unnecessary fixture no one will care about by that point?

* apologies if Tranent are licensed. I can't remember if they are or not.

3 licenced champions = 3 way playoff

2 licenced champions = two legged playoff

1 licenced champion = automatic promotion

There's no playoff is there is only one licenced champion.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

I realise that. I was just wondering if clubs/fans would like one to get a cross-league champion as a way to end the season even if promotion isn't in the balance.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I realise that. I was just wondering if clubs/fans would like one to get a cross-league champion as a way to end the season even if promotion isn't in the balance.

I doubt a team that has won promotion unopposed would want to risk getting beaten.

There is no need. The only reason for it is to determine promotion.

There does seem to be some rather tired old thinking going on here with regards to the make up of the new league and conferences.

If you are going to go down the route of trying to fit a bog standard league setup into some kind of brave new world - post SARS-CoV-2 - there seem to be too many variables to make it an immediate success.  If the season, as it could well do, starts late - how are all the games going to be squeezed in if there are 30+ league plus the sundry cups?

Might be time for a new paradigm in thinking what is deliverable in the short term. It might be better to start with something akin to the current Mexican model of with an "apertura" set of conferences, then a "liguilla" for fun,  and finally a "clausura" set of conferences to finalise positions. A novel concept for Scottish senior football (but not the Juniors).

That way if the season starts on time then everything is good - if it doesn't start on time  then the flexibility is already built in to set up placements for 2021-2022.

You could even regionalise it from the outset along the lines of Ayshire, Glasgow and Lanark and maybe some kind of Renfrewshire-Dumbartonshire combination.

so who decides how many and who is in top west of scotland league
Assuming top tier of 16 & 4 conferences the top 4 of each conference would form the WOSL top flight for season 20/21 If one of the conference winners is promoted then the best placed 5th place team would get a spot as well.

14 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
21 minutes ago, quietmaybe said:
so who decides how many and who is in top west of scotland league

Assuming top tier of 16 & 4 conferences the top 4 of each conference would form the WOSL top flight for season 20/21 If one of the conference winners is promoted then the best placed 5th place team would get a spot as well.

there is 67 clubs    so who is in what divison of wosfl

47 minutes ago, Lapsed Junior said:

There does seem to be some rather tired old thinking going on here with regards to the make up of the new league and conferences.

If you are going to go down the route of trying to fit a bog standard league setup into some kind of brave new world - post SARS-CoV-2 - there seem to be too many variables to make it an immediate success.  If the season, as it could well do, starts late - how are all the games going to be squeezed in if there are 30+ league plus the sundry cups?

Might be time for a new paradigm in thinking what is deliverable in the short term. It might be better to start with something akin to the current Mexican model of with an "apertura" set of conferences, then a "liguilla" for fun,  and finally a "clausura" set of conferences to finalise positions. A novel concept for Scottish senior football (but not the Juniors).

That way if the season starts on time then everything is good - if it doesn't start on time  then the flexibility is already built in to set up placements for 2021-2022.

You could even regionalise it from the outset along the lines of Ayshire, Glasgow and Lanark and maybe some kind of Renfrewshire-Dumbartonshire combination.

Lost me there, Amigo.

there is 67 clubs    so who is in what divison of wosfl

Everyone is in one division at tier 6 of x conferences with clubs then forming divisions depending on their finishing place for 20/21. The EOS setup ran in 18/19 illustrates how things work roughly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_East_of_Scotland_Football_League

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Get the bottom.team in the LL in there two, Do a draw and play it like a semi final