Is this the opportunity to change to summer football?

At present, there's a lot being said about reconstruction of leagues and all of this is being done on the basis that if the SPFL changes to a 14/14/14 or 14/10/10/10 setup, the league will kick off around September time.

Think a lot of us now are beginning to realise that this might not be feasible with certain experts warning of the very real possibility that COVID-19 might well take us through to the end of 2020 before any sort of live events, gatherings or sports are allowed again.

In the event of this (which is one of the worst case scenarios) there would be very little time to even curtail the 2020/21 into an abridged version. Should the proposal be not to actually shorten next season's competition but to use this to trial the much discussed summer football model?

I know there have long been arguments for and against this model of football but when needs must, it may be worth trying out and giving it a trial for 2 or 3 seasons.

Of course, if things do change for the better and we are good to go in September, the point becomes moot.

As always summer football is an interesting topic - there are probably logical arguments for & against but my (substantial) gut feeling is no & my worry would be it'd be hard to change back. 

Edited by btb

Weather wise it makes sense but if we ever manage to qualify for a world cup or euros, how would it work?

Another plus is our teams would be more prepared for europa qualifying games, it has merit.

19 minutes ago, bennett said:

Weather wise it makes sense but if we ever manage to qualify for a world cup or euros, how would it work?

Another plus is our teams would be more prepared for europa qualifying games, it has merit.

I'd imagine the league is suspended for 6 weeks. 

This is what the Scandinavian leagues do and what all leagues in Europe will need to do for the 2022 World Cup.

This is what the Scandinavian leagues do and what all leagues in Europe will need to do for the 2022 World Cup.
So just to confirm, your "summer" league is likely to involve games in January and December in a World Cup or Euros year?

Just now, craigkillie said:
6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So just to confirm, your "summer" league is likely to involve games in January and December in a World Cup or Euros year?

Not if the rescheduling is done intelligently over the course of the season. 4 midweek games over the course of a season shouldn't be hard to swing in the unlikely event we do actually qualify.

Unlike enforcing a winter break than jamming all of the January games into a 4 week period in February.

You've not thought this through. Currently we play from July-May, with only about 8 weeks off between the seasons, and then another 2 weeks off for the winter break. That's 10 weeks off and 42 weeks of football. Even with that, we're still cramming midweel games into December and February, as you pointed out.

If you have a 6 week break for a major tournament then you've only got another 4 weeks to play with, which would presumably be over Christmas and New Year. So you would indeed be starting in January and finishing in December.

At the moment, we play the bulk of our fixtures through the winter. If we could play the bulk of our fixtures through the spring/summer/autumn months then surely it's a no brainer. Better crowds, grass pitches and probably less games postponed due to adverse weather. Like someone else, potentially a better TV deal with no competitors playing through this period.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I love the idea, but as soon as you start considering the practicalities you realise it's virtually impossible. The opening day of the summer season would likely have been the end of February/beginning of March and games were nearly wiped out.

Yeah, happened in Ireland. They started their season during that big storm in early March. First two rounds of matches were wiped clean 

One thing I like about summer games is  midweek fixtures become a joy rather than an absolute trial. 

Not only would midweek games mean that the potential fixture build up could be far better managed but also should result in significantly larger gates.

Years ago I didn't mind winter games where you were allowed to stand up in groups on terracing but winter football in all-seater stadiums is a bl00dy nightmare.

It may be unavoidable for two or three years depending when the 20/21 season can begin and how the calendar for 22/23 is planned around the November/December World Cup, but it should be a last resort and should be launched into the bin as soon as possible afterwards. It would be shite.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

At the moment, we play the bulk of our fixtures through the winter. If we could play the bulk of our fixtures through the spring/summer/autumn months then surely it's a no brainer. Better crowds, grass pitches and probably less games postponed due to adverse weather. Like someone else, potentially a better TV deal with no competitors playing through this period.

No we don't.

I'm not a fan of the idea at all. As NorthBank says I like doing other non-fitba stuff in the summer like going to festivals or playing bowls or watching other things. The buzz that you get when it gets to about two weeks before the season starts is brilliant and it wouldn't feel right having it at any other time of year. Plus you'd still be going to games in January as Craig quite rightly said, I think a lot of people forget that you'd still be playing games in the winter.