EdinburghBlue

Kelty awarded title

It’s not equitable at the moment? How many teams in the pyramid  are vying to get into the LL compared to the HL? We now also nearly had a scenario which would have seen Brechin come to the LL. There is no equity about it, the LL will have all the best teams in it shortly.
Whilst the number of clubs vying to get into the LL is considerably more than the HL, there is yet to be evidence that the LL currently has the stronger sides in it. It is starting to move that way granted, and whilst everyone expects the LL to get stronger and stronger, as yet only Edinburgh City and Cove from recent iterations of the LL and HL have succeeded in getting into the spfl through the playoff (major issue of mine tbf) and remain in the spfl.

I guess what I'm getting at is there is no evidence (real life footballing examples) to support the future strength of the LL or changing anything at present. Until the eosfl, sosfl and wosfl get some champions in the LL and they, in turn, begin to become the consistent teams promoted to the spfl through the playoff, the LL and HL will sit where they are, side by side, at tier 5.

There is a quicker option, for the spfl to increase its league sizes, but that is equally as big an issue in trying to convince the senior seniors to open up their closed shop further.

6 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

6 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

There is a big difference in the quality of the Cove team now than the one that won the HL

Cove's last game was a 7-1 away win at Stirling Albion. The starting line up contained 8 players that played in the Highland League and another one came on as sub and scored.

They have signed a couple of high profile Aberdonians and a few youngsters on loan who have been mainly on the bench.  They have improved but it is mainly the Highland League side.

On the subject of the standard of the leagues I agree the Lowland League is bound to improve in the coming years. Their previous two champions East Kilbride and Spartans were poor compared to Cove. You would have fancied Brora to beat them as well.  This will undoubtedly change in time.  The Kelty Brora clash would have been a cracker.

I can’t see anything changing until they expand the third or fourth tiers. I also agree that automatic promotion wouldn’t work and that’s obviously because of the distribution and quality of teams across the country.

The only way I could see automatic promotion working is if they split Tier 5 into 4 leagues. 2 Northern Leagues in the Highland and a new Tayside, Angus and Fife League and 2 Southern Leagues, one in the East and one in the West. Automatic relegation from League 2 and promotion for the winners of the north play off and south play off. The current boundary doesn’t work because of the distribution of the population and clubs across the county. My new one would mean a fairer split of clubs but still local enough to minimise travel etc. I know this would never be implemented but if I was in charge this is what I’d try and create.
That's similar to the German system which we should be looking to follow

Cove's last game was a 7-1 away win at Stirling Albion. The starting line up contained 8 players that played in the Highland League and another one came on as sub and scored.
They have signed a couple of high profile Aberdonians and a few youngsters on loan who have been mainly on the bench.  They have improved but it is mainly the Highland League side.
On the subject of the standard of the leagues I agree the Lowland League is bound to improve in the coming years. Their previous two champions East Kilbride and Spartans were poor compared to Cove. You would have fancied Brora to beat them as well.  This will undoubtedly change in time.  The Kelty Brora clash would have been a cracker.

East kilbride were very poor in the play off last year. They never turned up. Cove were a very good side, as they have went onto show this season, but east kilbride shat the bed in the play off against them and have never really recovered from it since tbh. But prior to last season, ek and in fact the lowland in general had a very decent record against highland league teams. I would have fancied any of our top four teams this season to have got a result against brora over two games.

I think you have to take into account the special circumstances at each club. Clubs with wealthy benefactors are creating a false position, not that I"m saying that there's actually anything wrong with that. They, of course, have to hope that the benefactor stays alive and interested and that their level of income is sustainable. Kelty could be the new Raith or the new Cowden.

Cove have a terrific squad and talking of them as if they're a team representative of the HL is a bit wide of the mark. 

5 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
17 hours ago, craigiemack said:
I can’t see anything changing until they expand the third or fourth tiers. I also agree that automatic promotion wouldn’t work and that’s obviously because of the distribution and quality of teams across the country.

The only way I could see automatic promotion working is if they split Tier 5 into 4 leagues. 2 Northern Leagues in the Highland and a new Tayside, Angus and Fife League and 2 Southern Leagues, one in the East and one in the West. Automatic relegation from League 2 and promotion for the winners of the north play off and south play off. The current boundary doesn’t work because of the distribution of the population and clubs across the county. My new one would mean a fairer split of clubs but still local enough to minimise travel etc. I know this would never be implemented but if I was in charge this is what I’d try and create.

That's similar to the German system which we should be looking to follow

We have to keep the boundary under review. Tier 5 and below are changing beyond belief and the system has to be tweaked to take account of this.

The German model has "colts" - so rein yourself in!

See what I did there.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We have to keep the boundary under review. Tier 5 and below are changing beyond belief and the system has to be tweaked to take account of this.

The German model has "colts" - so rein yourself in!

See what I did there.

Germany has nearly 5 times the land area of Scotland and over 15 times the population. On top of that, the population in Germany is spread much more evenly over the country than in Scotland. The two can't be compared and what works for the Germans, might not work here...

16 minutes ago, Marten said:

Germany has nearly 5 times the land area of Scotland and over 15 times the population. On top of that, the population in Germany is spread much more evenly over the country than in Scotland. The two can't be compared and what works for the Germans, might not work here...

Correct but pyramid zealots sometimes forget this. We have something like 50% of our land area which is fairly remote or with small villages that struggle to field an amateur side.

I think you have to take into account the special circumstances at each club. Clubs with wealthy benefactors are creating a false position, not that I"m saying that there's actually anything wrong with that. They, of course, have to hope that the benefactor stays alive and interested and that their level of income is sustainable. Kelty could be the new Gretna

FTFY

Cannae see it happening. Too many SPFL clubs bricking it about surviving at all will want a wee bit of security from non-league football going forward. Might see a play off between HL/LL with the winner getting automatic promotion and the loser playing off v 2nd bottom?

20 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Yeah 2 up 2 down seems affa optimistic!

Its an easy thing for Livingston to suggest as they'll not intend on being in League Two.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cannae see it happening. Too many SPFL clubs bricking it about surviving at all will want a wee bit of security from non-league football going forward. Might see a play off between HL/LL with the winner getting automatic promotion and the loser playing off v 2nd bottom?

Highland League farce will need to be looked at.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Queens Park supporter going on about wealthy benefactors:)

Who better to do so?

Anyway, read what I said; I wasn't slagging them. Well, not now, obviously!

Edited by Hampden Diehard

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What farce is this?

He's been trawling thru a few threads posting the same anti HL agenda?

We're all aware relegation needs to come to the HL,the NCL are keen to join the pyramid under the HL,the NRJFA(tutie"s auld junior pals)less so!!

Hopefully it happens all the same 🙂

12 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

He's been trawling thru a few threads posting the same anti HL agenda?

We're all aware relegation needs to come to the HL,the NCL are keen to join the pyramid under the HL,the NRJFA(tutie"s auld junior pals)less so!!

Hopefully it happens all the same 🙂

He's got to find a new issue with the West Juniors no longer a thing.

Still got beat by a junior team in the scottish Cup for the past 2 seasons lol