Kelty awarded title

EdinburghBlue

5 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
17 hours ago, craigiemack said:
I can’t see anything changing until they expand the third or fourth tiers. I also agree that automatic promotion wouldn’t work and that’s obviously because of the distribution and quality of teams across the country.

The only way I could see automatic promotion working is if they split Tier 5 into 4 leagues. 2 Northern Leagues in the Highland and a new Tayside, Angus and Fife League and 2 Southern Leagues, one in the East and one in the West. Automatic relegation from League 2 and promotion for the winners of the north play off and south play off. The current boundary doesn’t work because of the distribution of the population and clubs across the county. My new one would mean a fairer split of clubs but still local enough to minimise travel etc. I know this would never be implemented but if I was in charge this is what I’d try and create.

That's similar to the German system which we should be looking to follow

We have to keep the boundary under review. Tier 5 and below are changing beyond belief and the system has to be tweaked to take account of this.

The German model has "colts" - so rein yourself in!

See what I did there.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We have to keep the boundary under review. Tier 5 and below are changing beyond belief and the system has to be tweaked to take account of this.

The German model has "colts" - so rein yourself in!

See what I did there.

Germany has nearly 5 times the land area of Scotland and over 15 times the population. On top of that, the population in Germany is spread much more evenly over the country than in Scotland. The two can't be compared and what works for the Germans, might not work here...

16 minutes ago, Marten said:

Germany has nearly 5 times the land area of Scotland and over 15 times the population. On top of that, the population in Germany is spread much more evenly over the country than in Scotland. The two can't be compared and what works for the Germans, might not work here...

Correct but pyramid zealots sometimes forget this. We have something like 50% of our land area which is fairly remote or with small villages that struggle to field an amateur side.

I think you have to take into account the special circumstances at each club. Clubs with wealthy benefactors are creating a false position, not that I"m saying that there's actually anything wrong with that. They, of course, have to hope that the benefactor stays alive and interested and that their level of income is sustainable. Kelty could be the new Gretna

FTFY

Cannae see it happening. Too many SPFL clubs bricking it about surviving at all will want a wee bit of security from non-league football going forward. Might see a play off between HL/LL with the winner getting automatic promotion and the loser playing off v 2nd bottom?

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cannae see it happening. Too many SPFL clubs bricking it about surviving at all will want a wee bit of security from non-league football going forward. Might see a play off between HL/LL with the winner getting automatic promotion and the loser playing off v 2nd bottom?

Highland League farce will need to be looked at.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What farce is this?

He's been trawling thru a few threads posting the same anti HL agenda?

We're all aware relegation needs to come to the HL,the NCL are keen to join the pyramid under the HL,the NRJFA(tutie"s auld junior pals)less so!!

Hopefully it happens all the same 🙂

12 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

He's been trawling thru a few threads posting the same anti HL agenda?

We're all aware relegation needs to come to the HL,the NCL are keen to join the pyramid under the HL,the NRJFA(tutie"s auld junior pals)less so!!

Hopefully it happens all the same 🙂

He's got to find a new issue with the West Juniors no longer a thing.

Cove's last game was a 7-1 away win at Stirling Albion. The starting line up contained 8 players that played in the Highland League and another one came on as sub and scored.
They have signed a couple of high profile Aberdonians and a few youngsters on loan who have been mainly on the bench.  They have improved but it is mainly the Highland League side.
On the subject of the standard of the leagues I agree the Lowland League is bound to improve in the coming years. Their previous two champions East Kilbride and Spartans were poor compared to Cove. You would have fancied Brora to beat them as well.  This will undoubtedly change in time.  The Kelty Brora clash would have been a cracker.
Still got beat by a junior team in the scottish Cup for the past 2 seasons lol [emoji38]

7 hours ago, allyg1977 said:

Still got beat by a junior team in the scottish Cup for the past 2 seasons lol emoji38.png

Aye they did,but they're not going to lose any sleep over it,especially as they're now League 2 champions and will be playing League 1 football next season.

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Aye and well beat.

Having attended the game they weren’t “well beat”. They were suckered by talbots only attempt on target in the full match. They peppered the talbot goal all day and got done by a long hopeful punt minutes from time. How would talbot have fared if they didn’t have leishman in goal (imo one of the best goalkeepers outside the spfl)

1 hour ago, pipedreamer said:

Having attended the game they weren’t “well beat”. They were suckered by talbots only attempt on target in the full match. They peppered the talbot goal all day and got done by a long hopeful punt minutes from time. How would talbot have fared if they didn’t have leishman in goal (imo one of the best goalkeepers outside the spfl)

As Big DJ used to say, it's goals that count.