The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbh out with the whole covid stuff why do we need a 14 team top league? Im happy with 12. 14 would arguably weaken the premiership and significantly weaken the championship. 

I'm sure that's to do with getting your 4 OF games a season though.

4 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

You honestly think fans are happy with seeing 4 games against each team and if you think the premiership is strong then you are sadly delusional. The strength of the SPL is shown for what it is when our clubs play in Europe.

Well no we don't all play each other 4 times in the top league. I also never said the Premiership was strong especially against European teams. Which one of us is delusional again?

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

The call, for temporary reconstruction is quite frankly shite.  We had the chance here to try and at least campaign for something that might seem appealing even if it was unlikely to pass.  Instead it gives a look of self interest and the fact it'd have to revert to 12 either 21/22 or 22/23 means you're asking for clubs to vote on a season where 3 teams would go down.  Gray is part of the task force too and Hamilton probably won't even vote for it.

Just save us the hassle of this freakshow and scrap the talks now.  

Disagree - for many of us, the football is so unwatchable, it is only the freakshows that maintain our interest.

1 minute ago, Hard Graft said:

I think the majority of fans would like to see reconstruction to make the game more attractive. The biggest issue is chairmen and self-preservation.  

Correct but its a wee bit more nuanced than that.

Preservation and continuation of their business is not just sensible, but is what is required of them as company directors (if they are set up this way).

Its kind of irrelevant if - for example - Hibs fans scream for Dempster to relegate Hearts or whatever, she and Hibs board will do the right thing.........for Hibs.

These clubs have a duty to do what is right for the company - in most cases.

If that means doing something that their fans or other parts of the laughably named "football community" think is wrong - well, thats just tough.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I'm sure that's to do with getting your 4 OF games a season though.

Tbh personally Im not massively arsed about them these days, they aren't a patch on European nights for me. Mid-day kick offs on a Sunday and f**k all away fans make it quite a dull spectacle in comparison. I may be in the minority with that thinking though. European nights always pissed over them for me anyway.

I think since we have introduced play offs it has  freshened it up again the league a bit again. Don't see how chucking in two extra teams is going to add much and content with status quo in terms of the top league anyway.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbh personally Im not massively arsed about them these days, they aren't a patch on European nights for me. Mid-day kick offs on a Sunday and f**k all away fans make it quite a dull spectacle in comparison. I may be in the minority with that thinking though. European nights always pissed over them for me anyway.

I think since we have introduced play offs it has  freshened it up again the league a bit again. Don't see how chucking in two extra teams is going to add much and content with status quo in terms of the top league anyway.

Perhaps it's just me but playing the same teams 4 times a season is dull as f**k. Especially when you end up playing against them in the cup too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully Budge gets too greedy and anything she proposes is voted out.

She probably wants the bottom two divisions cut out entirely, 12th placed top flight in a play off instead of automatically relegated, and more money in the top flight pot.

I doubt she'd get much opposition from the top division.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

A temporary reconstruction.  Ma sides.  Also what about the fact that clubs have already sold season tickets for next season.  You think clubs will be happy taking a huge hit by essentially letting fans in for a game for free?  To save Hearts?  Just to have no relegation for one season.  Christ even Hamilton would tell you to stick that.

If you want a proper reconstruction, you do it after next season and as for any financial hit you scrap relegation, so clubs can trim budgets or even go into admin.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I doubt she'd much opposition from the top division.

Which would be an issue.

No fan wants the top flight to be a closed shop

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I agree and am not bothered about reconstruction - especially in a panic move to save one club.

St Mirren, one of the poorer clubs in the League, manage to get academy players into the first team, then Engerland then Scottish caps. Several poorer clubs are regularly bringing through young players. It is the wealthy clubs who try and buy their League position and I do not see that changing much whether the Premiership is 12, 14 or 16 teams.

12 hours ago, Ric said:

I'm sure that's just someone "at it", as (a) UEFA wouldn't allow it, and (b) the English don't want them.

Probably a ta a tarr a fe - one of them, imho

12 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

If I understand this correctly...

-the SPFL called a vote on ending the season;

-there was a supermajority needed to do that;

-the deadline for votes was 5pm on Friday;

-the SPFL did not get the votes required;

-so the SPFL unilaterally waived the rules to get the required votes in.

I'm not 100% sure that that would stand up in Court, were Partick or Stranraer or someone like Falkirk (who surely are the most aggrieved, 1 point behind Raith with a home game against them to come, with a much better goal difference) to take it further.  That's leaving aside the implied breach of contract if there's no opportunity for Brora or Kelty to get a shot at promotion.  Both could point to Cove or Edinburgh City and point out that they'd each be likely to swat Brechin aside.

And all they would need to do is point out Brechin's presence on the SPFL committee.

I think this one could run.  Betting that the next step is the SPFL threatening to expel Partick if they take legal action.

You've understood this incorrectly - please start at page 1.

Guest JTS98
36 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Bottom five all picked up points in half their matches. Fair to assume there's a pattern there and you'd go on to drop all points in the remaining 8 games. And of the 50% you did pick up points, it was a win 1 in 3. So that would suggest 1 more win and 3 draws. You'd be hoping everyone else lost all their games. You can argue with the numbers all you like but that's how the bookies make a lot of money!

Apply that to St Mirren's 5 points from 33 that turned into one defeat in 8. 

It's just not how football works. You know that, and I am assuming you're just being wide.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Equally, I could point out that your position of self-interest is prompting you to deny the clear reality that the season has not been finished.

You just keep on clutching at this particular straw.

There is no way I can prove to you that my comments are not based on self interest. Even if you totally ignore everything I have written so far, it's a Cartesian argument and thus unresolvable.

What's more it's almost irrelevant. The facts of the matter are very clear. You are bottom of the league, you are bottom of the form league for 6 games, you are below us in the form league for the last 10 games. In this season you have have failed to beat the club  directly above you, you have failed to beat the club 2 places directly above you and your manager has failed to put out a team that is capable of beating us, a team 3 places above you.

But, hey, of course all that would have changed if only you had the chance to prove it. Well the facts don't lie, there is not a single shred of evidence to back up your claim of some Lazarus like survival.

Is it a fair situation? Of course it's not, I've never said it was. Are Hearts fans annoyed? Clearly they are, but perhaps turn your ire to your club who have abjectly failed you and not onto others who are, rightly, pointing out the realities of the situation.

Edited by Ric
..for a shit ton of typos!

3 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

I think the majority of fans would like to see reconstruction to make the game more attractive. The biggest issue is chairmen and self-preservation.  To them the views of the fans do not count.

Years ago there were so called meaningless games where clubs could neither win promotion/championship or be relegated. These were the games where they could introduce young players and try and play attractive attacking football without any fear of the consequences of losing.

Chairmen will really have to listen to the fans views, unlikely but we can only hope. The last time they did was when they wanted Sevco to remain in SPL or Championship and fan pressure and the likelihood of fans turning their back on their team caused them to have a drastic rethink.

You honestly think fans are happy with seeing 4 games against each team and if you think the premiership is strong then you are sadly delusional. The strength of the SPL is shown for what it is when our clubs play in Europe.

I think it's fans that propose league expansion that are 'delusional'.  The argument seems to be (and feel free to correct me) is that playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season is boring and that the introduction of a couple of championship teams will make it both 'more interesting' and 'strengthen the Scottish Premiership' (and presumably other leagues).

The simple facts are that these 'new clubs' don't generate additional interest, they don't cause additional ticket sales and generate nothing like the interest/sales  that are achieved via the 'boring extra' games v the bigger clubs (particularly Whore and NewBrandRangers FCs).

The biggest problem with the Scottish Premiership is the financial imbalance between Whore FC (to a lesser extent NewBrandRangers FC) and the rest of the league.

That is what needs addressing.  IMHO 

In summary fans may say they would rather have have a 'new opponent' rather than play the same (boring) teams again, but when it comes to spending their own money and buying tickets/turning up, they'll go for games v the bigger clubs despite the fact it's the fourth time they've played them that season.

Yours, sorry for getting off point.

aDONis