The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I hope our BoD remember who lost out the last time we reconstructed the leagues to save an Embra team - if we're going to enlarge the top flight it has to be permanent or it's no good to us.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

So Ann budge is to guard the bees.  Sorry to lead the task force into a possible league reconstruction.  Let’s see how that goes.  Hey Celtic and Rangers.  Fancy only fleecing £50 a person for 1 game instead of 2?  Hey Hibs.  Fancy saving your old pals hearts and pissing off your entire fan base?  Hey all the rest, fancy lesser crowds from not selling your away tickets to both arsecheecks oh and splitting the money 14 ways?

108891.jpg?b64lines=T0gsIFlPVSBHVVlTIEFSRSBQQVRIRVRJQy4KTk8gV09OREVSCk1hY2xlbm5hbiBNQURFIE1FIEhFQUQgCm9mIHRoZSB0YXNrIGZvcmNlIA==

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Season only officially over in the diddy leagues, of which you’re still part of until whenever next season starts.

According to Kincy, we're ALL diddies other than them and thaim.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Yeah  I just read their statement ,which seems odd going by what some clubs were saying pre vote. 

If the cash sums are as low as the Stranraer statement suggests,  why did over 80% of clubs vote for it ? I imagine all clubs would have known in advance what they stood to gain. 

Stranraer cash sum is low because of their position. As I understand it all clubs have basically been paid up to the equivalent of the division bottom spot. The outstanding money is then position dependent. Stranraer are therefore missing out on f**k all, for Rovers it's more like 50k. Championship teams are waiting for 6 figure sums.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd love to see how well an 18 team league (if given time to settle) would work. You'd need to give it 6 or 7 years though and you just know that won't happen.

btw, I'd be pushing for 4 teams down, with perhaps 2 automatic and maybe a 4 team playoff for the other 2 spots, if it was 18.

Which, as a St Mirren fan sounds like one of the least self preservationist things I could say!

If we do go to 14, I would be sorely disappointed if it stayed at 1+playoff.

Saw the other day that a motion was passed to introduce another step onto the pyramid, which would in theory add options for a promotion/relegation to the Highland/Lowland Leagues. I think this would be a great feeder and enough justification for a 16 team Premiership, with two leagues of 16 below, with HL and LL teams promoted to add more variety. 

HL and LL could be suppplented with top junior sides (ie Auchinleck and Culter) and promote 2 from each league each season, with 4 being relegated and split geographically into HL/LL

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

4 down would be horrific

2 automatic and a playoff between 16th & 3rd like in Germany would be best.

Would it though? As it is, the top 10 teams in the league are not involved in relegation or playoffs, in an 18 team league that extends to 12 teams. (if you had 2 automatic, 4 above them playing off to avoid the other 2 positions).

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

4 down would be horrific. 

2 automatic and a playoff between 16th & 3rd like in Germany would be best.

Yeah. 3 and a PO from a 10 team championship (assuming it would still be 10) wouldn't be great.

2 and a playoff would be the way forward. Even at that, you'd be giving teams like Alloa, Clyde, Dumbarton and Arbroath a very real shot at going up and playing in the top league over the course of the next 4 or 5 seasons.

But not Morton. Morton would still not make it. 

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Stranraer cash sum is low because of their position. As I understand it all clubs have basically been paid up to the equivalent of the division bottom spot. The outstanding money is then position dependent. Stranraer are therefore missing out on f**k all, for Rovers it's more like 50k. Championship teams are waiting for 6 figure sums.

I suspect it's the prospect of relegation that is  the real reason behind their statement, which is perfectly understandable. 

Just now, Green Day said:

@Ric an 18 team Premiership isnt happening.  They dilution of money would kill it stone dead.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. 3 and a PO from a 10 team championship (assuming it would still be 10) wouldn't be great.

2 and a playoff would be the way forward. Even at that, you'd be giving teams like Alloa, Clyde, Dumbarton and Arbroath a very real shot at going up and playing in the top league over the course of the next 4 or 5 seasons.

Could i just say I would like to see how it plays out. I'm not putting it forward for serious consideration.

That said, a league without Morton is always a good league! :D

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Reconstruction would unfairly pile huge pressure on Morton, tbh. Imagine having to find all new ways to not get promoted. They'll really have to dig deep.

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

@Ric an 18 team Premiership isnt happening.  They dilution of money would kill it stone dead.

Clearly isn't but it's just me saying I'd go the whole hog. Dilution of money over a longer period though would see other teams being given a more fair crack at the whip.

I don't think there's going to be a whole heap of cash in Scottish fitba at the arse end of this anyway for more or less everyone, so may as well make it a more open product.

Just now, Munoz said:

I suspect it's the prospect of relegation that is  the real reason behind their statement, which is perfectly understandable. 

Absolutely, and you can't blame them.

7 minutes ago, stagdhu said:

Saw the other day that a motion was passed to introduce another step onto the pyramid, which would in theory add options for a promotion/relegation to the Highland/Lowland Leagues. I think this would be a great feeder and enough justification for a 16 team Premiership, with two leagues of 16 below, with HL and LL teams promoted to add more variety. 

HL and LL could be suppplented with top junior sides (ie Auchinleck and Culter) and promote 2 from each league each season, with 4 being relegated and split geographically into HL/LL

I've always felt there should be a pathway to progress up the leagues, no matter what level you are playing at.

I understand that, for some clubs, it's just not viable due to costs, and perhaps regionalisation even as high up as League 1 might help with that.

It's ridiculous (in my mind at least) that it's only now just a thing that teams can gain entry into League 2 via promotion rather than being voted in.

27 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

It’s hard to picture Stranraer, Partick, Hearts etc to be this against it if they weren’t bottom of their leagues.

Do you really think so ?

Since the Doncaster proposal was announced Mrs Budge's threats of legal action have always been all about the necessity for sporting integrity above all other considerations. So its obvious she'd still have voted "NO" if Hearts weren't stone last in the league table. 

Wouldn't she ?

17 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Yeah  I just read their statement ,which seems odd going by what some clubs were saying pre vote. 

If the cash sums are as low as the Stranraer statement suggests,  why did over 80% of clubs vote for it ? I imagine all clubs would have known in advance what they stood to gain. 

The Forfar chairman was on Sportsound on Saturday afternoon, Forfar are one place above Stranraer, and he said that Forfar’s payout is £3,300.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

The Forfar chairman was on Sportsound on Saturday afternoon, Forfar are one place above Stranraer, and he said that Forfar’s payout is £3,300.

Even taking into account part time wages etc, that's a pretty paltry sum. 

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. Reconstruction is fine if the effects are far reaching and permanent. Who doesn't love a bit of variety over a season? I'd go the whole hog and have a fucking 18 team league with 3 up and 3 down.

But the fact is, Ann Budge thinks folk are buttoned up the back. 'Oh, lets have it for a couple of seasons so no-one feels the pain'. Yeah, call me cynical but that sounds like you are desperate to save your arse this season (which is fine) but don't want to potentially lose a home fixture or two vs the OF in the long term that a larger league would run the risk of.

Can't have your cake and eat it. If this is the route they want to go, then the league should be expanded and the effect should be permanent.

But you can't eat a cake you don't have. It's a bind.