The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

During that programme, Gardiner set out in detail why ICT was OPPOSED IN PRINCIPLE to the relegation of Thistle, Hearts and Stranraer.

He said explicitly that ICT's position was that finance should not be conflated with promotion and relegation. That was Dundee's position too until the shit hit the fan.

Gardiner also said that principles come before financial interest. I think that's fantastic, not strange at all.

Finances are totally linked to relegation.

Do his principles not extend to clubs in those lower leagues that need to know if a "bigger" club will be in the division before working finances to determine signing players for next season?

Did you listen to the Forfar guy, or just Gardiner?

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Finances are totally linked to relegation.

Do his principles not extend to clubs in those lower leagues that need to know if a "bigger" club will be in the division before working finances to determine signing players for next season?

Did you listen to the Forfar guy, or just Gardiner?

You are conflating this season's league money with next year's match day income. Forfar will also to plan for a possible league reconstruction. They should be careful when making false assumptions relating to income from "bigger clubs" being in their league.

The SPFL's proposal to finish the season and relegate Thistle will hit us with a double whammy. With 9 games left, we will lose match income and  the opportunity to climb the league to get more money.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Voted 2 then read the thread. 

I'd like to confirm that although I did vote I have now been in contact with some of the forum big hitters. I am now hoping to resubmit my vote as I find myself in a position of power.

Romeo?

1 hour ago, Ric said:

He (and/or the club, whichever way you split it) is obviously entitled to their opinion but to me, that just sounds like 30 minutes of someone dancing on the head of a pin.

He wasn’t giving an opinion. He was stating factually exactly what happened from a known timeline, because he was involved in the timeline. What “opinion” did he give?

23 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Absolutely - what I read into it was the ICT voted for the greater good, rather than their own self-interest - that may well turn out to be pish, but admirable and probably rare, if true.

I think Gardiner was fed up with what he was reading, and was quite brave to come on the air to clarify what was said and when - I think he's probably made a few enemies, though, and will likely suffer for it.

I listened to it live and, maybe wrongly, I got the impression that someone had contacted him whilst he was on the programme to advise him that he was giving away way too much information. Hence the quick “ my Westie’s legs are crossed, I’ll need to go now”.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He wasn’t giving an opinion. He was stating factually exactly what happened from a known timeline, because he was involved in the timeline. What “opinion” did he give?

Listen to the first section of it, he goes round in circles trying to justify the reasons for his no vote, yet just ends up contradicting himself. I am not the only person to pick up on this.

The club is entitled to vote the way they want, but to use nonsense about not wanting another club to be hit financially, then ignoring that a no vote will hit clubs financially (because it kicks the can further down the road) including his own is just contradictory.

Why is it clear from Gardiner's comments that the league received the vote? It's certainly true that Dundee claimed to have voted, but it's much more likely that they're at it given that they've refused to comment.
I personally would trust Gardiner as far as I could throw him.

Just now, Ric said:

Listen to the first section of it, he goes round in circles trying to justify the reasons for his no vote, yet just ends up contradicting himself. I am not the only person to pick up on this.

The club is entitled to vote the way they want, but to use nonsense about not wanting another club to be hit financially, then ignoring that a no vote will hit clubs financially (because it kicks the can further down the road) including his own is just contradictory.

He really doesn’t contradict himself in any way. Agree to disagree rather than go round in circles.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Why is it clear from Gardiner's comments that the league received the vote? It's certainly true that Dundee claimed to have voted, but it's much more likely that they're at it given that they've refused to comment.

I personally would trust Gardiner as far as I could throw him.

I think he would now say the same thing about the Dundee board.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

He really doesn’t contradict himself in any way. Agree to disagree rather than go round in circles.

I'm happy to disagree, that's what opinions are for, but if you don't see the contradiction there, then I'm sorry, to me you are allowing him an awful lot of leeway.

As I say, he is entitled to vote the way he or his club wants, it's not about that.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I listened to it live and, maybe wrongly, I got the impression that someone had contacted him whilst he was on the programme to advise him that he was giving away way too much information. Hence the quick “ my Westie’s legs are crossed, I’ll need to go now”.

:lol: Aye, quite possibly!

I got the impression the Sporstound team couldn't believe the scoop they were getting,

Gardiner will be getting stick for breaking the ranks, but I'm glad he did.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm happy to disagree, that's what opinions are for, but if you don't see the contradiction there, then I'm sorry, to me you are allowing him an awful lot of leeway.

As I say, he is entitled to vote the way he or his club wants, it's not about that.

Scott Gardiner was a magnificent guest today. I couldn’t tear myself away from the programme.

Just now, kingjoey said:

Scott Gardiner was a magnificent guest today. I couldn’t tear myself away from the programme.

I have nothing against the man. I hope people don't think my opinion comes from some subjective bias against either him or his club.

When he was at the Daily Telegraph Murdoch McLennan was regularly mentioned in the pages of Private Eye as being a doddery out of touch old git.

Upon leaving the Telegraph group he became Chief Executive of the SPFL...

11 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

When he was at the Daily Telegraph Murdoch McLennan was regularly mentioned in the pages of Private Eye as being a doddery out of touch old git.

Upon leaving the Telegraph group he became Chief Executive of the SPFL...

They had him in their sights a few times, also reported on derogatory remarks he repeatedly made about a member club.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

You support St Mirren,  your team benefits from the spfl proposal if hearts go down.  We get it.

12 minutes ago, bennett said:

You support St Mirren,  your team benefits from the spfl proposal if hearts go down.  We get it.

I mean you are right, I do support St Mirren, but to try and make this out to be a self interest thing is considerably misguided, but I'll go on the assumption you haven't read a single comment of the 6 odd replies stating that if St Mirren were in the same place I'd accept relegation.

The league isn't being finished, contracts will run out, these are not normal times and non-normal solutions are required.

Hearts are where they are because they didn't get more points than the team(s) above them when the league was suspended. I'm sure as a Rangers fan you can appreciate how that feels.

Edited by Ric

9 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

If this is indeed genuine, its getting farcical now.....

Of course that's not genuine, some wee VL has sat and typed all that out.