The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's fans that propose league expansion that are 'delusional'.  The argument seems to be (and feel free to correct me) is that playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season is boring and that the introduction of a couple of championship teams will make it both 'more interesting' and 'strengthen the Scottish Premiership' (and presumably other leagues).

The simple facts are that these 'new clubs' don't generate additional interest, they don't cause additional ticket sales and generate nothing like the interest/sales  that are achieved via the 'boring extra' games v the bigger clubs (particularly Whore and NewBrandRangers FCs).

The biggest problem with the Scottish Premiership is the financial imbalance between Whore FC (to a lesser extent NewBrandRangers FC) and the rest of the league.

That is what needs addressing.  IMHO 

In summary fans may say they would rather have have a 'new opponent' rather than play the same (boring) teams again, but when it comes to spending their own money and buying tickets/turning up, they'll go for games v the bigger clubs despite the fact it's the fourth time they've played them that season.

Yours, sorry for getting off point.

aDONis

These new clubs make it less likely that Hamilton, St Mirren, Ross County and Dundee United (and in this case, Hearts, because Hearts just don’t want to go down, even though they deserve to) are automatically relegated next season. The gap between the top flight and the Championship is enormous, and once you start looking at third and fourth in the Championship, it becomes even bigger.

In reality, Hearts are the only club likely to “suffer” as a result of calling the league now.

6 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

The biggest problem with the Scottish Premiership is the financial imbalance between Whore FC (to a lesser extent NewBrandRangers FC) and the rest of the league.

That is what needs addressing.  IMHO 

We are all ears.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully Budge gets too greedy and anything she proposes is voted out.

She probably wants the bottom two divisions cut out entirely, 12th placed top flight in a play off instead of automatically relegated, and more money in the top flight pot.

That sounds reasonable...

29 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

I am all for reconstruction but only if there are no bigot brothers colts. No, No and No again

F***, they have 3 colt teams between the 2 of them?

32 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

I think it's fans that propose league expansion that are 'delusional'.  The argument seems to be (and feel free to correct me) is that playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season is boring and that the introduction of a couple of championship teams will make it both 'more interesting' and 'strengthen the Scottish Premiership' (and presumably other leagues).

It's boring for fans that go home and away!  One trip to each team each year (excluding cups obviously) would make it more exciting for travelling fans of the other 11 clubs.  They currently only exist to give Celtic a platform to win everything and play in Europe.

Rivalries would be enhanced and even in derbies I think only having one chance to beat your rivals home or away in a season would give the games more prestige.

My apologies if anyone has suggested this already...

In the event of changes to the Prem structure to 14 teams, is it likely to be 1 down, 3 up and based on PPG isn't Dundee FC "third"?

Edited by EdTheDuck
14 teams not yeams

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Really? When is the next game?

As of now, the league is suspended. No decision on finishing it will be made until the clubs are consulted. Only at that point will Hearts' relegation be confirmed.

1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

My apologies if anyone has suggested this already...

In the event of changes to the Prem structure to 14 yeams, is it likely to be 1 down, 3 up and based on PPG isn't Dundee FC "third"?

There will be no relegation if it goes through. That's the point, to avoid relegating teams "unfairly" (ie because their shiteness only lasted 30 games, not 38 and they might have magically got better overnight).

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

As of now, the league is suspended. No decision on finishing it will be made until the clubs are consulted. Only at that point will Hearts' relegation be confirmed.

We all know that.

And authorisation to declare the Premiership finished has been approved by yesterday's vote. The SPFL board can end the season when it is deemed impossible to continue. Which it probably will be  after the UEFA vote next week.

You are being pedantic.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Tbh out with the whole covid stuff why do we need a 14 team top league? Im happy with 12. 14 would arguably weaken the premiership and significantly weaken the championship. 

In what ways do you believe it would weaken the premiership?

4 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

In what ways do you believe it would weaken the premiership?

More teams on lower budgets. The likes of Hamilton have earned their right being there but just promoting folk on mass doesn't give much merit. Most teams would actually be on smaller budgets I would imagine with less tv money I would presume with fewer old firm* games, assuming we don't try and shoe in more games which would also be shite.

Just now, craigkillie said:

There will be no relegation if it goes through. That's the point, to avoid relegating teams "unfairly" (ie because their shiteness only lasted 30 games, not 38 and they might have magically got better overnight).

Not so fast, young man....

What's in it for Dundee then? Do they think 14 will fly, requiring a ridiculous 11-1 vote from the Prem (I'm looking at you Stewart Milne) and they're taking the 'long view' that they're shoo-ins for promotion next season?

And how will they decide who gets the 2nd promotion place from Divs 1, 2 & 3 without playoffs? Top 2?

Such fun coming our way...

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

More teams on lower budgets. The likes of Hamilton have earned their right being there but just promoting folk on mass doesn't give much merit. Most teams would actually be on smaller budgets I would imagine with less tv money I would presume with fewer old firm* games, assuming we don't try and shoe in more games which would also be shite.

If it was reconstructed to 14 Hearts and United would make it 13 teams.  You'd only really be adding Inverness to that who would've had a crack at the playoffs, you'd not be diluting it much at all.