The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

My own thoughts on this are that the clubs should extend all contracts of out of contract players so as they can benefit from the Gov furlough scheme, by the same token the players themselves should be happy to sign contract extensions, given that they may not be paid otherwise. If they choose not to then hell mend them if they think the grass is greener but end up without a club or wage.

The league should then distribute what money they can based on current league positions and we can cross the next bridge dependent on if and when we can restart, whether that be next month, 3 months from now, 12 months from now or whatever. This could involve clawback or bonus payments dependent on the relevance.  Personally I still believe finishing this season is more important than starting the following season as there's likely to be lots of opportunities to amend fixtures, dates and even cup competitions next year.

The Elephant in the room is of course the Economy and how long the Gov will realistically be able, or indeed prepared, to pay people for doing nothing at home.

On the flip side of the long term negatives, we do have certain European countries beginning to lift restrictions regarding lockdowns, school closures and even certain employment.

Whether we will do this or even be in any position to do this within the foreseeable future is open to debate.

There really is no obvious or simple solution that suits everyone and with such a fast moving and ever changing picture anything could happen. We're juggling political, economic and public health issues and as such there will be lobbying and lots of it from all sections of society so if nothing else the following weeks and months should be interesting if nothing else...

Government furlough scheme £2500 per month less tax and NI brings it down to around £1700 or about £425 per week 

name me a premier league footballer on £425 a week even in the wee diddy teams pay more than that so if the clubs make up the difference where does that money come from with no income coming in ??????

18 pages of opinion,conjecture ,accusations ,conspiracy theories and greeting. For what it's worth , until an antidote for Covid 19 can be developed we won't see any sport, social activity for a very, very long time. There are over 7 billion people on the planet and even if 0.01% of the population succum to the disease  we've got a long way to go before we reach that level.

I've followed football for over 60 years and frankly keeping my family safe is more important wondering did some club do this , for did not send that , pulled someone's chain. Perspective is what needed here.

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

look at you ‘not giving a f**k’. 😄

You're right, a single comment definitely means that, and what you've said absolutely isn't a stock trope response that tedious bores with no actual argument use.

The purpose of any vote on a proposal is to vote for the option which suits you best.  Is it not?  2012 proved to me that all Scottish clubs were in it for themselves no club has the back of other club.  Even this season if you look at the results the integrity of the game is not in question.  Any club or set of set that think otherwise are desperate.

I don't see how you can hand out the prize money without ending the season one way or another.  As there is no sign of football re-starting on mainland Europe anytime soon it all comes down to whether clubs can survive indefinitely without the prize money.  

The clubs struggling on the field are looking for a way out of an unsuccessful season (we would probably all do the same) but I don't think it's fair on all supporters who have funded the clubs up to the point the leagues stopped not to recognise the points won and recorded.  

Note that Clubs have 28 days to confirm their vote.

As a fan that hates the current uneven 38 game programme I would welcome a new set up of 14 team top league & 10 x 3 with no relegation throughout the league set ups but not sure how it would affect the lower league clubs.

26 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

You asked why did I say it was a false claim by Doncaster that monies can't be handed out unless the league is called as it stands. I'm explaining to you it's false because the members can change their rules. They're proposing changing them already. It's a crude (but almost successful) way to "persuade" teams to vote for calling it. Surely you can see that?

Whether Hearts would be a lone voice for reconstruction is a separate matter.

They can 

On the proviso it’s in the best interest of the company as a whole nor can they be used by the majority voting for the change to discriminate or deprive its members of their rights as members.

I think you will probably find there will be a few clubs that may challenge what is in the companies best interests and possibly more than a few who will feel deprived.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You're right, a single comment definitely means that, and what you've said absolutely isn't a stock trope response that tedious bores with no actual argument use.

Does two comments improve my suggestion? 

19 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Government furlough scheme £2500 per month less tax and NI brings it down to around £1700 or about £425 per week 

name me a premier league footballer on £425 a week even in the wee diddy teams pay more than that so if the clubs make up the difference where does that money come from with no income coming in ??????

I've been told by an accountant it's 2500 after tax, so really it's 3150 or there abouts. 

Obviously your point still stands. 

Edited by tree house tam

15 minutes ago, Eder said:

The purpose of any vote on a proposal is to vote for the option which suits you best.  Is it not?  2012 proved to me that all Scottish clubs were in it for themselves no club has the back of other club.  Even this season if you look at the results the integrity of the game is not in question.  Any club or set of set that think otherwise are desperate.

I don't see how you can hand out the prize money without ending the season one way or another.  As there is no sign of football re-starting on mainland Europe anytime soon it all comes down to whether clubs can survive indefinitely without the prize money.  

The clubs struggling on the field are looking for a way out of an unsuccessful season (we would probably all do the same) but I don't think it's fair on all supporters who have funded the clubs up to the point the leagues stopped not to recognise the points won and recorded.  

Note that Clubs have 28 days to confirm their vote.

As a fan that hates the current uneven 38 game programme I would welcome a new set up of 14 team top league & 10 x 3 with no relegation throughout the league set ups but not sure how it would affect the lower league clubs.

Not sure that they do have 28 days - if they have stipulated another timescale. Which they did. That vote has been lost. Dundee did vote - SPFL have admitted it turned up later. Sounds like it got stuck in their server somewhere? Anyway, there was no 75% approval at 5pm from the Championship. Nothing to stop SPFL having another vote though.

47 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

They can Change rules, introduce reconstruction, anytime they see fit, the “Rule Book” can go out the window if they want.

We await yet another reconstruction 

Afraid the rulebook has to stay in the room on this one - Restructuring would need an 11-1 vote in favour at the Premier level, so any argument needs to be very persuasive.

Edited by Green Day

You see my biggest issue with restructuring, and I should say I think the league should be bigger and would prefer a 14/16 top league with maybe 3/4 relegatees, is that it feel it's being pushed for the wrong reasons. If implemented I can see it being brought back down again because certain shitty media outlets would demand so many OF games, while other bigger clubs will whine about the money being spread too thinly.

Equally you can't really say, "ok, we'll restructure but can't change again for another 5 years" because look at what politics has taught us about fixed terms of anything!

I know the clubs at the bottom of the league are pissed but to me I would rather deal with "normal" relegation/promotion and just accept it's a bitter pill for some (albeit they are where they are because they weren't good enough to be in a better position - @The_Kincardine, that stunning logic is for you, big man!) but I'd much prefer that over chopping and changing again in 18 months time and all the *autistic_screeching* that comes with a Scottish football bun fight.

Am I against it? No, not at all, it's in fact the opposite, but the (protracted) analogy is like that attractive person you've had your eye on for a while and your chance is now but they are steaming and it wouldn't be right to take advantage of them in that position.

Edited by Ric
..because after linking this I realised I am an illiterate fool!

McLennan's letter to the clubs says "I am entirely satisfied, based on all the information at my disposal, that the SPFL ...have acted wholly properly".  Is that just another way of saying "My guys are telling me that we've done everything properly, but I'm not sure if I've been told everything..."?

There have been a number of people on here asking why the null and void option isn’t really an option. Surely the main reason is that if the season is called as null and void no team would be entitled to a payment whatsoever as there are no league positions. This is what makes null and void a non starter.

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

McLennan's letter to the clubs says "I am entirely satisfied, based on all the information at my disposal, that the SPFL ...have acted wholly properly".  Is that just another way of saying "My guys are telling me that we've done everything properly, but I'm not sure if I've been told everything..."?

The one thing that was indisputably done wrongly was to release the result of the vote before the deadline, 28 days, and with not everybody having voted yet. This seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

Oh....

Police could open an investigation into the handling of last Friday's mysterious ballot over voiding the season north of the border.

It was declared incomplete after Dundee failed to register their vote. Rangers have demanded the suspension of Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster and an independent inquiry into the matter. 

Sportsmail has learnt that a number of clubs also have concerns, which they are prepared to take to the police if necessary

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Not sure that they do have 28 days - if they have stipulated another timescale. Which they did. That vote has been lost. Dundee did vote - SPFL have admitted it turned up later. Sounds like it got stuck in their server somewhere? Anyway, there was no 75% approval at 5pm from the Championship. Nothing to stop SPFL having another vote though.

This was proposed as an Ordinary Resolution. Under the rules of the SPFL, clubs have up to 28 days to vote on such a resolution. The 5pm Friday guideline was only advisory, and this was made very clear on the voting slips.

Edited by craigkillie