The SPFL recommendation?

Just now, craigkillie said:

Lots of part-time clubs have furloughed their players - I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable. Lots of people work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Fair enough. Just wondered if it was the case of having to declare your higher wage or not.   HMRC are usually sticklers for these technicalities. 

25 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Way back on the 8th March...5 week’s ago, I posted this on the Covid large gathering thread...

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.

Cancel the season.

Promote the top two in each division

No relegation this season.

Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.

Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.

Promote one team, relegate three each division.

As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.”

Five weeks later it still looks like October or November before we will get going properly.

Why can’t the SPFL see this?…

I can't understand why this wasn't put on the table. 

There's no good solution, but this is far and away the least bad. 

Unfortunate for Airdrie etc, but they get a crack at the title next year in a league without Rovers Falkirk and Partick, so no excuses. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

The way it was explained to me was because the season stopped in March and if we start playing our remaining fixtures in July then July would become March and contracts of players etc will automatically follow. Can’t remember what the law was called. Basically where it stopped it would start again until the fixtures were completed.

The law is employment law, and under this no one can be forced to extend their contracts against their will, as was said here about three weeks ago, and many times a day since.

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Fair enough. Just wondered if it was the case of having to declare your higher wage or not.   HMRC are usually sticklers for these technicalities. 

No, the jobs are / can be treated independently.

I’d have absolutely no problem with the teams at the top going up and the teams at the bottom going down. Sadly whether we like it or not they were in those positions when play was stopped and if Airdrie were top even by a single goal at that time I’d be arguing the same as Raith fans are. The only team I would feel for is Partick as they have played a game less than QoS and a win would put them into 9th. For me two teams don’t deserve to go up with no relegation as 2nd place gets you the same as 3rd and 4th. A play off place with no guarantees of promotion (sorry Falkirk fans). As an Airdrie fan we still had a chance to win the league or be promoted and whilst that is a nice dream the idea of the leagues resuming tells me people aren’t taking what’s going on around us seriously enough.

Very simplistic and won’t happen but just how I see it. 

Way back on the 8th March...5 week’s ago, I posted this on the Covid large gathering thread...

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.
Cancel the season.
Promote the top two in each division
No relegation this season.
Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.
Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.
Promote one team, relegate three each division.
As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.”

Five weeks later it still looks like October or November before we will get going properly.
Why can’t the SPFL see this?…

Two up with no down is the best of a bad situation but no doubt the premiership would vote it down.

A shorter season will absolutely cripple clubs that are already struggling.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You have folk here simultaneously saying that the lower league clubs need their prize money to survive and proposing reconstruction ideas which would quite clearly reduce the value of the TV and sponsorship deals which pay for that prize money.

You can complain about it not being a massive chunk that comes to Leagues 1 or 2, but it's still a hell of a lot more than those clubs used to get in the SFL days.

Ah well if its more than we used to get we should just ignore the glaring difference that still exists.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Rangers really starting to panic now.

Lashing out all over the place, making stuff up.

It's brilliant to watch. When it the statement due out?

WE have been presented with evidence via a whistleblower that raises serious concerns surrounding the SPFL’s processes relating to its stewardship of the voting on the resolution presented to member Clubs.

Rangers’ Interim Chairman, Douglas Park, attempted to discuss this evidence with SPFL chief executive, Neil Doncaster, who initially refused to do so. The SPFL followed up that call with an e-mail, which we believe was a thinly disguised attempt to silence legitimate concerns.

Rangers will not be bullied into silence. We believe it is in the interests of all Scottish clubs and supporters that the evidence, which is alarming, be addressed as quickly as possible.

The voting debacle and the evidence we possess raise serious questions concerning the corporate governance of the SPFL.

Mr Park said: “The lack of leadership and responsibility from the SPFL as a members’ organisation has shocked me. If ever there was a time for complete openness and transparency, it is now. Crucial decisions are being made on the issues of promotion and relegation behind closed doors and without proper time for consideration or debate.

“The farcical conduct of this affair seems to me to bring the corporate governance and business operations of the SPFL into sharp focus. It is an example of an undemocratic culture, which has existed within the SPFL for far too long.

“As a member club, we are disturbed by the evidence that has been presented and feel there is no choice but to call for an independent investigation into this entire matter. Each member of the SPFL board has a duty to its members to ensure that such an investigation is instructed without delay.

“All we ask for is equality and respect. In the past few days, we have become alarmed at a seeming lack of even-handedness and fair play from the SPFL. This is surely unacceptable and, if substantiated, must be remedied.

“Other member clubs, who have seen the evidence we hold, share our concerns.

“We call for the suspension of the SPFL’s Chief Executive, Neil Doncaster and its legal adviser, Rod McKenzie while an independent investigation is conducted.”

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/rangers-football-club-statement/

31 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Actually I'm coming round more and more to the promote 2, relegate none and prepare for a constricted 2020/21.

Because I'm a stubborn pedant, I'm not in favour of awarding championships but I think 2 up / 0 down has a lot of merit.

In terms of fairness, clubs going up without having technically earned it is one thing, but clubs going down without actually deserving it is another. This stops that.

It gives us scope to alter 2020/21 how we see fit and it gives us the summer to figures out if we're actually serious about reconstruction before 2020/21 starts.

Of course if we go back to 12-10-10-10 for 2021/22, that'll mean two automatic relegations from League Two at the least. That's bound to set a few arses wobbling down there.

Spot on. I totally agree that being relegated when you 100% don’t deserve it is wrong. We can argue that they’ve been bottom almost all season but when there’s still a chance to survive the drop it would be wrong IMO to put them down. I’m sure the old firm and sponsors could handle one season of 14 teams , after all it’s the small clubs like ours that are making all the sacrifices here not them.

Spot on. I totally agree that being relegated when you 100% don’t deserve it is wrong. We can argue that they’ve been bottom almost all season but when there’s still a chance to survive the drop it would be wrong IMO to put them down. I’m sure the old firm and sponsors could handle one season of 14 teams , after all it’s the small clubs like ours that are making all the sacrifices here not them.

My point was that they may not have a choice. If we start in October and want to play cup competition, European football and Euro 21 in June next year.
I’ve suggested that it may need a cash injection to make it happen though. That’s probably the main sticking point..