The SPFL recommendation?

7 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Given the situation, deaths, lock downs and general chaos people (on here at least) are taking this whole thing way too seriously. I think in a few years we'll barely think about this.

To be fair, most of us are stuck indoors doing absolutely f**k all.

This is a fun wee distraction. What good does it do anyone to sit on the couch and think about disease and death all day?

Never understood the attitude of 'how can we think about football when people are dying'. Folk are dying all the time m9.

Edited by Gordon EF

3 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Wait for uefa to abandon all the league's. Scottish football teams will get more money from that than the poultry sums they will get for finishing the league's early. 

But if course that means Celtic won't get the league title and Lawlell can't have that!

See the source image

6 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Maybe the way forward is thw idea Dundee have of calling the leagues and having no promotion or relegation but still get all prize money for positions

That way nobody gains or losses anything just go same again next season if that stops fans moaning Spfl will see it as some sort of win for them

Of course folk gain and lose. All the teams that have invested so much money in this season will have lost.  If you pay out the money based on current positions then everything else based on current positions have to follow or the same arguments are still there.

Teams deserve to be promoted out of their leagues and poor teams deserve to be relegated. This season albeit not complete has to mean something for a number of reasons.

Edited by spot on

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Which, presumably they could get round by, oh I don't know, putting it to a vote.

You would think that but they managed to f**k up that one any plan they had of sloping shoulders to pin the blame on anyone bar the SPFL has backfired the SPFL needs leadership but in not wanting to make a decision they put it to the clubs and given that out of the leagues you have turkeys voting to go in the oven at christmas of course Celtic, Raith, Dundee Utd and Cove are going to want to end it  any pressure on them arsing the run in to the finale of the season is off them no being funny here but they shouldnt have been allowed the vote though it wouldnt have been democratic then but does any of us think they would have voted otherwise. to say aye ok then we will risk coming in 4th instead of 1st and see the rest of the season out.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Could be. The suspicious part of me thinks there probably isn't seeing as nobody's come out and categorically said there is.

It's clear that it suits a few folk to come out with vague threats over this rather than be totally honest. 

I thought that was an issue of calling it down South where TV money is king. Maybe not so much up here. Who are the main sponsors who stump up the majority of the prize money? Bookies and TV companies?

Basically, Ann Budges argument and indeed Sevcos was provide clubs a loan to the value of the league standings until its deemed safe to see the season out but the SPFL refused that and said they must vote to end the season. They also refused to change the rule regading that which would have allowed the season to continue when it was deemed safe and gave clubs a bit of money to see it through to the end.
in other words they arent bending the rules and they have no intention of changing them and if you want the money you vote to end the season.
Loaning clubs the money is an awful idea and it's no surprise that the SPFL's lawyers immediately laughed that out of the room.

Awarding the money based on the current positions without necessarily tying it to the season being finished would be much more reasonable.

No change to top league.

2 leagues of 16 below is what I am hearing is likely to be the next plan.  Brora and Kelty added to bottom league. 

Suggestion is also that bottom of the bottom league is changed to automatic relegation with second bottom playing losers of the Highland/Lowland league playoff.
There's no way the lower league clubs would vote for 3 fewer home games.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

I thought that was an issue of calling it down South where TV money is king. Maybe not so much up here. Who are the main sponsors who stump up the majority of the prize money? Bookies and TV companies?

I'd imagine it's Ladbrokes and whoever shows Premier games these days.

The sensible thing would be that they pay 75% of the fee for 75% of the season. Practically, Ladbrokes don't give a flying f**k whether Cove and crowned champions or which league Partick Thistle are playing in next season.

What clubs need to know is how much of the total pot the SPFL have right now and under what conditions the remainder will be paid or not paid. Without that information, how can any club come to an informed decision. I suspect the SPFL are happy for clubs and supporters to be left in the dark but I'm a cynical b*****d.

Way back on the 8th March...5 week’s ago, I posted this on the Covid large gathering thread...

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.

Cancel the season.

Promote the top two in each division

No relegation this season.

Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.

Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.

Promote one team, relegate three each division.

As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.”

Five weeks later it still looks like October or November before we will get going properly.

Why can’t the SPFL see this?…

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Way back on the 8th March...5 week’s ago, I posted this on the Covid large gathering thread...

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.

Cancel the season.

Promote the top two in each division

No relegation this season.

Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.

Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.

Promote one team, relegate three each division.

As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.”

Five weeks later it still looks like October or November before we will get going properly.

Why can’t the SPFL see this?…

Cause they are arseholes i wonder what solution they are going to come up with to respect the social distancing when things do get going as corona isnt going away anytime soon.

Actually I'm coming round more and more to the promote 2, relegate none and prepare for a constricted 2020/21.

Because I'm a stubborn pedant, I'm not in favour of awarding championships but I think 2 up / 0 down has a lot of merit.

In terms of fairness, clubs going up without having technically earned it is one thing, but clubs going down without actually deserving it is another. This stops that.

It gives us scope to alter 2020/21 how we see fit and it gives us the summer to figures out if we're actually serious about reconstruction before 2020/21 starts.

Of course if we go back to 12-10-10-10 for 2021/22, that'll mean two automatic relegations from League Two at the least. That's bound to set a few arses wobbling down there.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

In this scenario of just waiting around for season 19/20 to finish, possibly in 2021, when are clubs entitled to any prize money due? Are they entitled if the season isn’t finished?

Donathon is as bright as a the interior of a coal cellar on a particularly dark night.

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Have all clubs in Scotland furloughed their playing staff?

Is that possible for part time players with two wages ? Serious question.  

I asked my accountant this as casual chat as he is a football man himself and he wasn't 100% sure but felt it wouldn't be acceptable. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Is that possible for part time players with two wages ? Serious question.  

I asked my accountant this as casual chat as he is a football man himself and he wasn't 100% sure but felt it wouldn't be acceptable. 

Lots of part-time clubs have furloughed their players - I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable. Lots of people work multiple jobs to make ends meet.