The SPFL recommendation?

11 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

There are many Falkirk fans that even if we were top would only accept the title based on all games being played. We’ve already been rogered on promotion by the change of rules as you fancy by the self preservation society. Neil Doncaster and the rest of these blazers have taken this abhorrent decision based on what ? 

For clarification and as mentioned should this abhorrent decision stand I would ask all genuine fans to review next seasons away games. Falkirk spend on average between £200/£250K at away games.  Don’t bite the hand that feeds you..... 

Presuming you mean over 18 games, right? 

8 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Ask your chairman Falkirk contribution to your survival this year 

I don't think the survival of Raith Rovers has hinged on Falkirk bringing one 1k plus gate this season. 

A change to 3 14 team divisions would paper over most of the objections to promotion/relegation. Hearts relegation to the Championship is voided if the top two Championship teams are promoted instead...the only complainers then are Dundee and Ayr, and they both knew their promotion chances were small. The middle tier of 14 includes the top six from League One, so no one feels left out there, and only Cove are truly bent about the new lowest 14 grouping, which they should skoosh next year.

I think you’ll find Clyde, Peterhead & Forfar as well as Cove would be pissed if they pull that stunt.
You can’t suddenly punt the bottom 4 of league one into the diddy league with no prior warning.

How in the name of sporting integrity can you relegate Partick Thistle and at the same time not relegate Hearts. Lawyers are going to be very busy people. Look at the money Kelty have gambled on getting promotion to be told hang on Brechin wont be relegated. Any chairman that votes for that should hang his head in shame. 

Suspect that Kelty, and possibly Brora and Bonnyrigg, may sue the SPFL if this goes ahead.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Anyways. No one really wants this, and I'd certainly be pretty embarrassed going up under these circumstances - really not sure if I'd be happy to take it or not.

But ... the chances of getting games under way in time to finish the season is virtually nil. Continuing beyond that - or finishing the season in next season's time - might be more attractive from a fan's / sporting point of view but causes all kinds of logistical headaches in terms of clubs trying to budget, player contracts and so forth. In the meantime, leaving things hanging on is also going to be causing headaches - do clubs need to keep maintaining pitches and keeping other contingencies in place for a potential restart in six weeks time? 

I think, sooner or later, it's going to be inevitable that the season will be scrubbed. It'll then be a straight choice between voiding it and leaving clubs where they are for another year, or promoting / relegating based (directly or indirectly) on current positions. Club bias aside, I don't know what my preference is - either is obviously harsh on someone.

I'm not, however, in favour of league reconstruction - at least not for the sake of this. If there are solid arguments for longer-term reconstruction anyway then fine, but I'm not particularly aware of any groundswell for that. But avoiding some unfairness for two or three clubs in the short term would be a terrible rationale for it.

Absolutely. I find it utterly bizarre the number of people who think completely re-structuring the game at this moment in time is an appropriate thing to do. Particularly some of the convoluted nonsense I have seen posted, in this thread and others.

If there is real demand to change the league structure (which I don't think there really is) then that is something you do from a position of strength, with a properly thought out plan after properly consulting all the relevant 'stakeholders' (apologies for the business jargon), having looked at all the pros and cons and having sounded out TV companies and sponsors over potential new deals.

Whatever happens this season there will be a small number of clubs who feel a bit hard done to, unfortunately that is just the situation we are in. Ripping up the entire league structure and starting again (which would also upset some clubs and have issues over fairness) just to avoid having to upset a handful of clubs is ridiculous.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

11 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I think you’ll find Clyde, Peterhead & Forfar as well as Cove would be pissed if they pull that stunt.
You can’t suddenly punt the bottom 4 of league one into the diddy league with no prior warning.

Plus are we sure that the 12 premier league teams are going to be happy to suddenly have their cash diluted between 14 teams instead of 12 just to please hearts. I'll believe it when I see it.

35 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

There are many Falkirk fans that even if we were top would only accept the title based on all games being played. We’ve already been rogered on promotion by the change of rules as you fancy by the self preservation society. Neil Doncaster and the rest of these blazers have taken this abhorrent decision based on what ? 

For clarification and as mentioned should this abhorrent decision stand I would ask all genuine fans to review next seasons away games. Falkirk spend on average between £200/£250K at away games.  Don’t bite the hand that feeds you..... 

27 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Ask your chairman Falkirk contribution to your survival this year 

Very Sevco esque stuff there. Outstanding nonsense. How did all the clubs in League 1 survive before Falkirk saved them?

Anyway, what most people don't seem to be getting, and I'm really at a loss why, is that most clubs in the SPFL can't afford to finish the season if it goes beyond May. Most contracts are only a year or two so clubs would need to sign up many new player. They'd then have to pay the full squad and all associated people in full for as long as it took to finish the games, and do so without most of the income streams they budgeted for.

Many clubs couldn't afford to put together a squad. How could they when they'd have almost nothing to pay them with? Most clubs are budgeting season to season, and have already taken a hit in that area. Although it would technically be finishing this season, any games being played after May would need financed, and clubs would have done that based on season ticket sales for next season and projected income from who is the league. Some clubs don't sign many players over May/June to keep costs down.

I'm all for this, one up one down. Previously I was in favour of 2 up and no relegation but Falkirk fans dont appear to agree to that solution and want the league voided so stuff them let them stay down for at least another season in league 1 and with Partick coming down then it becomes all the harder to get up.

Bantabairn's Sevco styled mewlings make even less sense when you think about it.

If Falkirk are such a huge club who are single handedly keeping the league afloat, then surely the other clubs would absolutely vote for the proposal as it would guarantee the massive away crowds from Falkirk. It would be a vote to keep themselves alive as without Falkirk they'd all die.

If they voted against it would mean there would be a very good chance that huge Falkirk would be promoted, and they'd all lose their lifeline and die.

Whatever happens this season there will be a small number of clubs who feel a bit hard done to, unfortunately that is just the situation we are in. Ripping up the entire league structure and starting again (which would also upset some clubs and have issues over fairness) just to avoid having to upset a handful of clubs is ridiculous.

I agree with this, but evidently we’re going to need to find a solution than 75% of clubs in L1/L2 are on board with. What are the ‘default’ options? Wait until we can play again which will be August at the earliest, but maybe January. Clubs can’t face that sort of uncertainty for a) matchday income, b) prize money and c) 20/21 season tickets. The other ‘default’ is null and void which opens up the possibility of severely reduced or maybe even no prize money. Both of these options will unquestionably kill clubs.

So we need a compromise option of some sorts. Evidently self-interest will rule here. 75% need to agree on a solution and early signs are that this proposal pisses off too many. So maybe we have to try promoting the top 2 with no relegation? Immediately you sway Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer and Edinburgh City over your agreement, previous ‘principles’ burned. It might just be the only way.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Rovers chairman quoted as saying there's at least 3 clubs in this league who will vote no to this. 

The bottom two leagues are lumped in together for the 75% requirement - so it'd need 15 out of 20. With Cove running away with the league and Brechin to be reprieved it might be that there are fewer objections there.

4 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The bottom two leagues are lumped in together for the 75% requirement - so it'd need 15 out of 20. With Cove running away with the league and Brechin to be reprieved it might be that there are fewer objections there.

Ah, didn't realise that. 

What's the rush with all this seems typical spfl.  Pay the clubs prize money. Either full amount or even pay every side the prize for bottom in each league for the moment. That keeps clubs afloat. Then have a proper in depth discussion over the next 2 months regarding the way forward including a proper look at reconstruction.  Top flight situation should be far clearer by then too.Then if need be have a vote but at least clubs will know exactly what they are voting for. At the moment its if you want your money and perhaps a wee chat about league reconstruction.then you need to vote yes now.