The SPFL recommendation?

29 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Imagine doing a deal with sky that involves them being involved in reconstruction 🙈

Also Doncaster pushing this July restart from football in Scotland, what an absolute tit of a man.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sky must love it when it comes to deal negotiation time and Doncasters still ceo. Just offer him a couple of more quid than the last time and he'll sign no bother. Getting it for peanuts anyway. Maybe they're as much behind keeping him in a job as anyone.

Sky have had Scottish football by the baws and have ever since the stupid decision to reject them for Setanta. Clubs had zero choice as financial ruin was faced by all and Sky were the only company willing to put money in.

The vast majority of prize money in all divisions come from that deal, so I'm not convinced trying to play hard ball in an economic crisis is the best plan.

Convince yourself that Scottish football rejecting Sky and the £50m+ they pump in would somehow have us better off if you want, but youd be cutting a huge chunk of every clubs income.

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sky have had Scottish football by the baws and have ever since the stupid decision to reject them for Setanta. Clubs had zero choice as financial ruin was faced by all and Sky were the only company willing to put money in.

The vast majority of prize money in all divisions come from that deal, so I'm not convinced trying to play hard ball in an economic crisis is the best plan.

Convince yourself that Scottish football rejecting Sky and the £50m+ they pump in would somehow have us better off if you want, but youd be cutting a huge chunk of every clubs income.

I'm not arguing it's not an important deal for football up here but surely they can do a better job than negotiating Sky having a say over the structure of the league's 🤷

I get the feeling you are just going to disagree for the sake of it though 🤔

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The deal was arranged way back in 2018. There was no economic covid crisis back then. Considering he was quite happy to give sky sponsor rights for a fraction of their worth is it any wonder that I'm questioning  what his  negotiating skills were like 2 years ago.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sky must love it when it comes to deal negotiation time and Doncasters still ceo. Just offer him a couple of more quid than the last time and he'll sign no bother. Getting it for peanuts anyway. Maybe they're as much behind keeping him in a job as anyone.

Him? 

Joe Pesci Film GIF by NETFLIX

Edited by Bairn in Exile

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The deal was arranged way back in 2018. There was no economic covid crisis back then. Considering he was quite happy to give sky sponsor rights for a fraction of their worth is it any wonder that I'm questioning  what his  negotiating skills were like 2 years ago.

Loads of folk questioned it at the time.

Not a single club, including the moral champions Falkirk, did a thing about it or raised any sort of measure to remove him from position.

Edited by DA Baracus

I'm not arguing it's not an important deal for football up here but surely they can do a better job than negotiating Sky having a say over the structure of the league's 🤷
I get the feeling you are just going to disagree for the sake of it though [emoji848]

I would expect any tv deal to have a clause referring to any league reconstruction. The tv company must know what it is buying so it is hardly going to allow a change of format half way through a contract without having some input

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Loads of folk questioned it at the time.

Not a single club, including the moral champions Falkirk, did a thing about it or raised any sort of measure to remove him from position.

Yeah that would've worked well as we can see from the latest debacle. As long as celtic are happy to have him in charge nothing will change.   Still amazes me how many people are happy for scottish football to be governed in such an amateurish way. We'd be the  laughing stock of world football if we hadnt fallen so far as to become so insignificant that noone gives a feck.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I would expect any tv deal to have a clause referring to any league reconstruction. The tv company must know what it is buying so it is hardly going to allow a change of format half way through a contract without having some input

I agree to a certain extent but to me the sky deal issue was a red herring they hadnt even reached the point of involving them before the top flight clubs pulled the plug.  Sky might have been happy if there was still the same number of games shown and 4 old firm matches but were never asked.

35 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I get the feeling you are just going to disagree for the sake of it though 🤔

Sky dont have a direct say over the league structure.

It sounds like Sky would be involved with reconstruction talks entirely on the terms of them saying whether whatever particular set up being proposed is going to affect the deal.

3 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Imagine doing a deal with sky that involves them being involved in reconstruction 🙈

Also Doncaster pushing this July restart from football in Scotland, what an absolute tit of a man.

Surely it would be negligent of Sky not to have a say. If they signed up long-term (and their interest appears to be driven by 4 old firm games) and then a season later the Premier league was restructured to say a 20 team, one game home and away format they would be seething 

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

Surely it would be negligent of Sky not to have a say. If they signed up long-term (and their interest appears to be driven by 4 old firm games) and then a season later the Premier league was restructured to say a 20 team, one game home and away format they would be seething 

The problem is they seem to have more than just a say! 

Just my opinion though

11 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Just my opinion though

They really don't.

Anyway, I thought it was Lawwel that the mentalists thought was in charge.

15 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Just my opinion though

Realistically I’d expect them to have the final say - if the league structure is materially changed then they would probably want to approve it at one extreme or get out of the deal at the other with the middle ground being some sort of renegotiation of terms. 

Doncaster’s time is probably up but there is a bit of an extreme position building here that because he got some things wrong then he must have got everything wrong. Talk of Sky controlling things or Doncaster not having asked them is real tin foil hat stuff.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The reported figure of the new deal (£30-33m per season) is something like 40-50% higher than the previous one (£17-18m per season), for 20% fewer matches. The value per game of the new deal has gone from something like £300-350k per game to something like £600-700k per game.

All TV money and sponsorship income goes into one big pot which is paid out to clubs as prize money at the end of the season. If the Championship clubs wanted to keep that money for themselves, they could of course propose to the SPFL that each division keeps its own TV money, thus allowing the top flight to keep the £18m (soon to be £30m) per year of their own deal. I wonder why the Championship clubs didn't push for that option.