The SPFL recommendation?

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The other thing is the SPFA asked the players and 70 per cent of them wanted change as lets face it you can play the same side 6 times a season the leagues boring as f**k

As is repeatedly pointed out, the players have a combined IQ of about 70 and shouldn't be asked anything.

Just now, sydney said:

The ‘null and void’ option hasn’t been discussed in great detail I believe because of issues with potentially having to repay sponsorship/ TV money. I guess there may also be a challenge of who plays in European competition next year. Perhaps though in really needs to be discussed directly with the TV companies and UEFA (won’t be surprised if it hasn’t) as it could well be the most sensible solution. 

I would've thought the first thing the ceo should have been doing before the initial vote was contact the broadcasters and see if they were going to be looking for recompense if the league was either null and voided or finished early . All we seem to get from Doncaster is mibbaes aye mibbaes naw. For feck sake go and find out.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As is repeatedly pointed out, the players have a combined IQ of about 70 and shouldn't be asked anything.

Since when did you need a massive IQ to know what format you find more enjoyable playing football?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Livingston proposed a 14 10 10 10 format publicly only a couple of weeks back.  It was obvious to everyone and their dug that the proposals were going to have an increased top flight as the whole thing they were based on was trying to improve the situation for the clubs affected by the premature ending of the season.  Noone knows what the final proposal was going to be and if there was going to be restrictions on what the final proposal was why was the reconstruction group given a blank canvas to start with.  There was reps from the top flight there so why didnt they speak to their fellow clubs to find out whether there was appetite for change at the top before the whole charade started. That would have been common sense which has been severely lacking in scottish football recently.

Sorry, yes you are quite right, I had it in my head that they were proposing 16 for some reason. I've edited my previous post to remove that reference.

The ‘null and void’ option hasn’t been discussed in great detail I believe because of issues with potentially having to repay sponsorship/ TV money. I guess there may also be a challenge of who plays in European competition next year. Perhaps though in really needs to be discussed directly with the TV companies and UEFA (won’t be surprised if it hasn’t) as it could well be the most sensible solution. 
Have we actually heard from any sponsors or broadcasters that this is the case for null and void but not for declaring the leagues?

I'm sure i heard today Doncaster saying that there will be financial implications anyway because the season is cut short?

I don't see a problem of European candidates through league position as that's what UEFA demand.

Re. bullying, the SPFL have changed from:

There was no bullying > there was no bullying reported > there was no bullying by SPFL staff > there was no "formal" report of bullying.

Tomorrow I expect them to claim the formal complaint about bullying was in the wrong font.

They cannot be trusted

Another interesting insight into how the SPFL do business was the revelation that they held a gun to the head of highland league teams to agree to let Brechin City go into the lowland league if relegated . Telling them if they didn’t agree to this they would lose their place in the betfred cup. Appears that they will railroad through measures by any way they can. It’s clear there is monumental flaws in their governance, even if enough clubs don’t vote for an enquiry they have lost all faith of the general footballing public. 

6 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Have we actually heard from any sponsors or broadcasters that this is the case for null and void but not for declaring the leagues?

I'm sure i heard today Doncaster saying that there will be financial implications anyway because the season is cut short?

I don't see a problem of European candidates through league position as that's what UEFA demand.

Re. bullying, the SPFL have changed from:

There was no bullying > there was no bullying reported > there was no bullying by SPFL staff > there was no "formal" report of bullying.

Tomorrow I expect them to claim the formal complaint about bullying was in the wrong font.

They cannot be trusted

Exactly. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, sydney said:

I am getting thoroughly sick of some individual clubs and journalists criticising the SPFL board when I haven’t heard one sensible alternative proposal from anyone. All I hear is that we need to implement a solution whereby no club is disadvantaged. The reality of the situation is that there isn’t one, which is why I haven’t heard any of them coming up with a specific proposal that achieves this aim. C’mon Rangers, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Inverness. Let’s hear how we can achieve this without some clubs taking a hit and without you peddling your own agendas ? We’re all ears. 
Seems to me that, rather than avoiding showing leadership, the SPFL board have attempted to do the exact opposite. Sure, there have undoubtedly been issues in the way it has been done. However, there are no precedents here in our generation and, whereas we need the whole of the game to pull together, we have found ourselves in a situation where clubs have become entrenched in their own self serving position. Putting finance and club influence to one side and based purely on sporting performance, this is the LEAST BAD option (other than arguably the Brechin situation) which is about as good as anyone can realistically hope for. 
The exception to this btw could be the ‘null and void’ option which puts everyone back to where they were in August 2019. However, this opens up another can of worms which might be more difficult to overcome. 

Spoiler

14,18,12  with Cove and Brora in. You could argue Stranraer lose out, but you could also argue they were in the most perilous situation.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Aberdeen chairman has said there is no desire for change and that we should be focussing on the pandemic

Bonnyrigg chairman has basically said if they didnt accept Brechin to the lowland leagues they would have their Scottish cup and Tunnocks cup games withdrawn

League 2 want the 14-14-16 team league once again making it a closed shop

Doncaster saying clubs will suffer if legal action is taken 

We really are in a shite situation i think as much as i despise the arsecheeks that is the OF Sevco have basically highlighted how Doncaster is too close to Lawell and its basically a conflict of interest and theres no impartiality .

What a farce of a situation we are in 

ps apologies if someone has posted already ref any of the above points.

Lawell runs Scottish football and has done for years. It’s totally wrong but it won’t change.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You mean clyde would vote against it.  Cant see any of those promoted into the championship voting against it which is what 6 if your talking about a 16 team championship. So there would only be 4 left including clyde which isn't enough to ko it.

And there we have it, brains are about to explode trying to figure out ways to save your own skin. Feck me ,so much for all this sporting integrity and for the good of the game pish. You couldn't care less about how it will effect other teams as long as it is not yours. Then to have a go at teams voting in their own interests because it doesn't suit yours especially when you have history of doing the exact same thing, voting against SPL expasion.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Having no one promoted or relegated and no league titles awarded means no one is worse off as the leagues were not complete. I've not heard any specifics why this was not an option.

Are you suggesting that league tables should be disregarded with respect to promotion and relegation but used to determine who qualifies for Europe?

46 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

And there we have it, brains are about to explode trying to figure out ways to save your own skin. Feck me ,so much for all this sporting integrity and for the good of the game pish. You couldn't care less about how it will effect other teams as long as it is not yours. Then to have a go at teams voting in their own interests because it doesn't suit yours especially when you have history of doing the exact same thing, voting against SPL expasion.

Calm doon I  was simply disagreeing with the statement that league one would vote against it.  Do you think otherwise? If it had been a 16 team champ proposed do you think the top 6 in league one would vote against it?  Clyde would and perhaps peterhead and forfar and maybe stranraer but I still feel the top 6 would vote for it. I never said at any point that I agreed with a 16 team league or had any issue with clyde voting against it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:
  Reveal hidden contents

14,18,12  with Cove and Brora in. You could argue Stranraer lose out, but you could also argue they were in the most perilous situation.

nah, lets do 20,24 so that you lot can continue your disingenuous whining about "being relegated to the bottom division" under a restructure.

Are you suggesting that league tables should be disregarded with respect to promotion and relegation but used to determine who qualifies for Europe?

Yes.

It's an external governing body making the rules. It's their competition.

UEFA insist on "sporting merit" being used to choose qualifying teams, I cannot think of an alternative. I'm happy for you to suggest one.

I'm certainty not aware of UEFA instructing national bodies to declare Champions or relegate clubs.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

Yes.

It's an external governing body making the rules. It's their competition.

UEFA insist on "sporting merit" being used to choose qualifying teams, I cannot think of an alternative. I'm happy for you to suggest an alternative.

I'm certainty not aware of UEFA instructing national bodies to declare Champions or relegate clubs.

Why would I suggest an alternative, sporting merit sounds fair. I’m just not hypocritical enough to then ignore that same sporting merit when it comes to deciding who gets promoted or relegated.

If the top flight doesn’t want to expand then leave them to it. Hearts down Dundee United up.

We could still easily promote 2 and relegate none in the other 3 divisions. Creating a 12-12-10-10.

Whilst this wouldn’t be ideal financially from my own clubs point of view (losing Falkirk and thistle fixtures) I think sporting wise it’s the fairest solution.

It would also allow the pyramid to function by allowing up kelty and brora.

The extra cash share for these 2 clubs should come directly out of Doncaster £350k plus salary.

7 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

If the top flight doesn’t want to expand then leave them to it. Hearts down Dundee United up.

We could still easily promote 2 and relegate none in the other 3 divisions. Creating a 12-12-10-10.

Whilst this wouldn’t be ideal financially from my own clubs point of view (losing Falkirk and thistle fixtures) I think sporting wise it’s the fairest solution.

It would also allow the pyramid to function by allowing up kelty and brora.

The extra cash share for these 2 clubs should come directly out of Doncaster £350k plus salary.

Kelty said they would concede any prize money in 1st season if they were afforded the opportunity to play in the SPFL, so it would only have been Brora that needed covered (in 1st season anyway).

Edited by C. Muir

Why would I suggest an alternative, sporting merit sounds fair. I’m just not hypocritical enough to then ignore that same sporting merit when it comes to deciding who gets promoted or relegated.

My team does not have a horse in this race.

I don't see where I'm being hypocritical

UEFA insist that counties nominate clubs for their tournaments. We have no choice in the matter. We HAVE to select teams somehow.

There is no such imperative for League titles or relegation. No one has won anything or lost anything as the leagues were not completed.

This is entirely within the SPFL remit to make this decision. I think they chose the wrong option.

Completely different