The SPFL recommendation?

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Agreed. My point was that we approached this league under Smith like Falkirk have (in my opinion). Assembling a squad of decent enough players and hoping for the best. We pissed away far more points than Falkirk to far worse sides in our previous 2 seasons here.

We took a different approach this season, and it worked. 

That and having the season called 8 games before it finished.

The charade is over. Not surprising in the slightest. A truly shameful month for Scottish football and to be honest there is no wonder our national team gets nowhere fast. A chance for change again past up. As for Dundee well I would love to know what changed their minds. Wouldnt day it’s corrupt but it’s certainly not a professional outfit. I would laugh tho if it is now forced up them though due to clubs not making it through.

Pish. Divisions of 10 are boring due to playing the same sides far too often.
You will play the same teams too often unless it's leagues of 24. At least every team has something to play for, for longer in a season with leagues of 10.

Here is my 50p if anyone cares to listen.

The SPFL needs a complete revamp top to bottom in my opinion to keep it going.

First we need to thank and replace the current chief (Neil Doncaster) and the board with a new external chief with no affiliation to any clubs, and a new board made up from the top 5 tiers of the pyramid and each year each league votes in a board member to look after their members.

Bring all the club's into the one pyramid from amateurs all the way up to Celtic.

If reconstruction is a massive issue keep it as it is in the current format (yes it's boring but hey ho).

Have the top tier of 12 (Premiership)

Have the second tier of 10 (championship)

Have a third tier of 10 (league 1)

A fourth tier of 10 (League 2)

Make a 5th tier of 10 (league 3) from the best of Highland and lowland as the entry exam to the league's.

Have the 6th tier as a split Highland and lowland as is currently.

Have the 7th tier with North, South, East, West league's but create a Tayside or Angus league to bring in the junior set up there as it's brilliant and currently has no home in any league set up.

8th tier would obviously be the conferences that each league has currently running under their main ones (N,E,S,W)

9th tier to bring in the rest of juniors and if needed the amateurs league's.

Filter the tiers down from here as appropriate.

So potentially in 10 years an amateur team could be making a stake for the spfl set up.

Yeah your gonna lose sides down but it's still easier for them to come back up again.
Ideally too I would say make it league's of 20 but we all know there is absolutely no chance of this so pointless saying it. (Just incase anyone thinks I like the 12/10/10/10 set up).
Huge leagues with bringing the whole football set up into pyramid would be excellent.

40 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ll disagree with you on that. Possibly lacked a bit of experience but for the first time in a couple of years it felt like stability was evolving. I still believe we would have overhauled you but we will never get to know for sure sadly.

I’d be happy to have them in charge this coming season having had a bit of time to gain more experience and understand where the issues are in the team.

The last thing the club needs is someone coming in and starting again from scratch....

Not 100% sure there, simply because we don’t know the reason the January window was so stagnant. If it was their decision, then it reflects poorly upon them, but they may have learned from it. If it was BoD driven, then the question becomes will they receive the necessary support for signings for the new season.

I do agree they brought some energy and improvement to the team, and think that Falkirk could easily do much worse than re-sign them for the new campaign.

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:
7 minutes ago, G_H said:

You will play the same teams too often unless it's leagues of 24. At least every team has something to play for, for longer in a season with leagues of 10.

Would disagree with this in the Premie League tbh. 

Teams like Rangers, Aberdeen, Killie and Motherwell haven’t been close to going down in the last 3 seasons but have also started the season knowing the have zero chance of winning the league.

Now that’s fucking boring.

7 minutes ago, grumswall said:
12 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'd rather variety than the "something to play for" factor, when the something to play for is the 6th-9th time in the same fucking season tbh.

Just now, G_H said:

I'd rather variety than the "something to play for" factor, when the something to play for is the 6th-9th time in the same fucking season tbh.

To be honest as long as you have a decent playoffs setup and even a split the number of meaningless games is reduced greatly. Add to that the difference in prize money for every place and no excuse for teams not trying to the very last game.

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not 100% sure there, simply because we don’t know the reason the January window was so stagnant. If it was their decision, then it reflects poorly upon them, but they may have learned from it. If it was BoD driven, then the question becomes will they receive the necessary support for signings for the new season.

I do agree they brought some energy and improvement to the team, and think that Falkirk could easily do much worse than re-sign them for the new campaign.

There was certainly cash there as but if we'd spunked it all on promotion I suppose we might be struggling now due to the pandemic.  Who knows. They were talking about one more player coming in at one point but that must've fallen through. It's the da vita one that gets me. Signed straight away in jan but was no better than what we had really.

26 minutes ago, southstand_bairn said:

The charade is over. Not surprising in the slightest. A truly shameful month for Scottish football and to be honest there is no wonder our national team gets nowhere fast. A chance for change again past up. As for Dundee well I would love to know what changed their minds. Wouldnt day it’s corrupt but it’s certainly not a professional outfit. I would laugh tho if it is now forced up them though due to clubs not making it through.

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably

More clubs having stuff to play for near the end of the season and playing each other four times versus a lot more meaningless games early in the season but only playing each other twice. Pro's and cons to both.

Still think that McKinnon and much of our squads failure to beat teams below us is the reason we are not being promoted.
No point complaining when we don’t fix obvious issues early enough....
A better january window would even have done the trick but we came out of it no better than when we went in. Just with fewer options in the squad.
A, better managerial appointment in November would have probably helped also. 
Yip totally agree. We need to build a squad good enough to win the league next year.
Going to be tough with Partick, East Fife and Airdrie there and Cove may invest heavily.
I’ll disagree with you on that. Possibly lacked a bit of experience but for the first time in a couple of years it felt like stability was evolving. I still believe we would have overhauled you but we will never get to know for sure sadly.
I’d be happy to have them in charge this coming season having had a bit of time to gain more experience and understand where the issues are in the team.
The last thing the club needs is someone coming in and starting again from scratch....
I would have probably agreed with you at the turn of the year, but I felt Falkirk played for a draw in the game just before the shutdown and I felt pretty confident we would go on and win it. Miller and Mcracken made 3 points up on us in the 4 months they were in, and I felt we had a stronger side then than we did when they were appointed. 
Like you say though, we will never know.  I just feel if Falkirk had hit the ground running towards the end of the year they would have gone on to win it, as that is when we were absolutely fucked with injuries. 
League One Also-Ran thread for this pish

Fucking hell, this ‘we need games to mean something’ pish needs to stop.

Not every fucking game in a football season needs to ‘mean something’. 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Fucking hell, this ‘we need games to mean something’ pish needs to stop.

Not every fucking game in a football season needs to ‘mean something’. 

The epl has 20 teams in it and yet you hear very little mention of meaningless games if any.

Ha 3 points  for a win, get paid to play football,have say 100 to 50,000 fans watching, after paying their money and people say games are meaningless. I played to win every game,and it meant the world, IF games don't mean anything,why do you bother going ? Wait to get slagged off now 🙉

44 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Here is my 50p if anyone cares to listen.

The SPFL needs a complete revamp top to bottom in my opinion to keep it going.

First we need to thank and replace the current chief (Neil Doncaster) and the board with a new external chief with no affiliation to any clubs, and a new board made up from the top 5 tiers of the pyramid and each year each league votes in a board member to look after their members.

Bring all the club's into the one pyramid from amateurs all the way up to Celtic.

If reconstruction is a massive issue keep it as it is in the current format (yes it's boring but hey ho).

Have the top tier of 12 (Premiership)

Have the second tier of 10 (championship)

Have a third tier of 10 (league 1)

A fourth tier of 10 (League 2)

Make a 5th tier of 10 (league 3) from the best of Highland and lowland as the entry exam to the league's.

Have the 6th tier as a split Highland and lowland as is currently.

Have the 7th tier with North, South, East, West league's but create a Tayside or Angus league to bring in the junior set up there as it's brilliant and currently has no home in any league set up.

8th tier would obviously be the conferences that each league has currently running under their main ones (N,E,S,W)

9th tier to bring in the rest of juniors and if needed the amateurs league's.

Filter the tiers down from here as appropriate.

So potentially in 10 years an amateur team could be making a stake for the spfl set up.

Yeah your gonna lose sides down but it's still easier for them to come back up again.
Ideally too I would say make it league's of 20 but we all know there is absolutely no chance of this so pointless saying it. (Just incase anyone thinks I like the 12/10/10/10 set up).
Huge leagues with bringing the whole football set up into pyramid would be excellent.

Why not 12/12/20?

Premiership is one auto relegation and playoffs for 11th. Format of 11th v 4th and 2nd v 3rd, winners play for the spot.

Championship is one auto up and the above playoffs. At the bottom, one auto relegation plus10th and 11th play 2nd-7th of the new National League for spots. Format is 10th v 7th, 11th v 6th, 2nd v 5th and .3rd v 4th. After those results, reseed with the highest remaining team playing the lowest, etc. Winners of this second round of playoffs remain up/are promoted.

The new National League is 20 teams, once home and away. Adds variety of opponents, plus six of 20 have a chance at promotion via playoffs above. At the bottom, two possible relegations via playoff to HL/LL. 19th place plays HL/LL team with poorer record, 20th place plays the better...adds spice since 20th can survive while 19th goes down.

This would require the promotion of two teams to make a 44 team association. Money could be realigned with minor losses in payout to top level teams, the maximum being £100,000 less to the winner of the Premiership. From 3rd place in the Championship the payouts could be slightly raised while adding two team if most Premiership teams accepted 0.05% less money (£12,500), with the top 4 giving up between 0.4% and 0.15% (£100,000 and £37,500).  Teams below the top 14 would all see slight increases.