The SPFL recommendation?

3 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Agreed, we would. However I am sick of hearing this is a solution that means no one suffers except Cove. Just wrong.

If they want 3 leagues then promote two from HL/LL and have 16/18 in the middle which will reduce further the number of teams financially punished to save Hearts.

Nah...20/12x2...20 at the top, screw the OF 4x. Two secondary 12 team leagues.

Top league play 38 games, bottom three relegated

Secondary leagues play 22 inside their league and an extra 12 outside. Top of each promoted, teams 2-5 in each to playoff for the last promotion spot, bottom of each into relegation playoff versus top team from HL/LL Playoff is 2A v 5B over two games etc, reseeded after each round. Playoff final is single game, neutral site.

More teams at the upper level, more opponents to add interest, a reduction in travel at the lower level, and it pokes the OF in the eye. All the crap about TV contracts is unproven until we do it....they can ask for four, but if two is what’s on offer, they’ll still pay something for that and other interesting matches, like the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Why give them more?

Because clubs like St Mirren/Hamilton etc. are not going to vote to have their guaranteed minimum prize money income for 20/21 drop by the best part of £1 million, which is what would happen if they finished 13th or 14th in an expanded top flight without the prize money being adjusted. And given that the top flight clubs hold the most voting power in the SPFL, this makes any sort of reconstruction a non-starter.

The last time Clyde got relegated due to league reconstruction was back in 94 when we moved from leagues of 14 to 10. Now we are going to get relegated from a league of 10 to go back to 14. [emoji19]

One of the main reasons to get rid of leagues of 14 was the unfair split in fixtures and now we are going back to it.

Wheres all the cash coming to fund all these extra clubs?

Where did all the cash come from when the SPL merged with the SFL and vastly increased the prize money for the lower three tiers?

It would come from the top teams giving away a very small bit of money in exchange for something that they want. Based on the current SPFL prize money, clubs 43 and 44 would be due about £80k in total, which would represent a very small amount in the grand scheme of things.

It's what makes the constant calls to reduce the number of teams in the league so tedious - even if you scrapped the whole of League 2 you'd only end up with about £550k to split between the remaining 32 teams.

Finding it hard to grasp the sporting integrity of not relegating teams in last place but quite happily jettisoning the bottom end of league one into the diddy league.

It’s not ok to relegate big clubs in relegation spots but it’s fine to relegate smaller clubs not in relegation spots?

And make no mistake, it’s a relegation on everything but paper.

It should be 14-10-10-10 next season and if they want to transition to 14-14-14 from there at least everyone has some notice of what’s at stake. Rather than finding out after the season has ended that mid-table actually means relegation.

Also the self preservation of league 2 clubs is predictable but embarrassing. Don’t let anyone up, protect us from relegation for 2 seasons. Get to f**k.

Where did all the cash come from when the SPL merged with the SFL and vastly increased the prize money for the lower three tiers?

It would come from the top teams giving away a very small bit of money in exchange for something that they want. Based on the current SPFL prize money, clubs 43 and 44 would be due about £80k in total, which would represent a very small amount in the grand scheme of things.

It's what makes the constant calls to reduce the number of teams in the league so tedious - even if you scrapped the whole of League 2 you'd only end up with about £550k to split between the remaining 32 teams.
Take it out the killie money [emoji1787]

Finding it hard to grasp the sporting integrity of not relegating teams in last place but quite happily jettisoning the bottom end of league one into the diddy league.

It’s not ok to relegate big clubs in relegation spots but it’s fine to relegate smaller clubs not in relegation spots?

And make no mistake, it’s a relegation on everything but paper.

It should be 14-10-10-10 next season and if they want to transition to 14-14-14 from there at least everyone has some notice of what’s at stake. Rather than finding out after the season has ended that mid-table actually means relegation.

Also the self preservation of league 2 clubs is predictable but embarrassing. Don’t let anyone up, protect us from relegation for 2 seasons. Get to f**k.
Integrity that only a handful of clubs tried voting for yourselves NOT included [emoji1787][emoji1787]

One of the main reasons to get rid of leagues of 14 was the unfair split in fixtures and now we are going back to it.

Couldn’t agree more, the fixture schedule proposed by league 2 is shite. If your going to have a league of 14 I’d much rather play twice then split rather than play an uneven 3 match rounds season.

Take it out the killie money [emoji1787]

That's basically exactly what I said, isn't it? The £80k it would cost to fund a couple of extra teams in the SPFL would come mainly from the Premiership money.

No surprise that, having whinged about all of the unfairness of teams being relegated or denied promotion unfairly, you are now a bit less bothered about Kelty or Brora being shafted because that same proposal gives East Fife an undeserved leg up.

This resolution potentially benefits a lot more clubs than the status quo. Will be interesting to see if the moral high ground is still there or if being "so proud" of their clubs stance was all an act. 

From a selfish point of view, if the 2nd tier comprises of 5 teams who finished below us I would be pretty happy and pretty confident going into next season. 

Edited by CALDERON

That's basically exactly what I said, isn't it? The £80k it would cost to fund a couple of extra teams in the SPFL would come mainly from the Premiership money.

No surprise that, having whinged about all of the unfairness of teams being relegated or denied promotion unfairly, you are now a bit less bothered about Kelty or Brora being shafted because that same proposal gives East Fife an undeserved leg up.
No kelty and brora aren't being shafted. I don't know why we are trying so hard to shoehorn them in. Cove took 2 attempts to get in.

One needs to beat the other and then play the bottom placed club and win to get up.
I've said that my view would be play these games at start of season instead of friendlies (bigger crowds for these games too)

That's fair.

47 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Seems like 14-14-14 is the only option that has real chance of being voted through as Teams like Hearts and Aberdeen are suggesting it be a 1/2 season max then revert which looks like getting the backing of Premiership and Championship clubs

So shafted here and now. Then potentially shafted again when they revert back to 4 divisions as you could finish high up in the third tier e.g. 1st/2nd or 3rd (28th, 29th or 30th overall) but then find the reconstruction reversal means they take away the opportunity to go up to the 2nd tier?

Ah f**k it just call it a closed shop and be done with it. 

11 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

No kelty and brora aren't being shafted. I don't know why we are trying so hard to shoehorn them in. Cove took 2 attempts to get in.

One needs to beat the other and then play the bottom placed club and win to get up.
I've said that my view would be play these games at start of season instead of friendlies (bigger crowds for these games too)

That's fair.

So season defining games that determine how a clubs entire cost infrastructure needs to be based around should be played at the start of the season? How is that practical or fair? 

Edited by CALDERON

Why don’t we just run with a bigger championship, playing each other twice.

Could easily have 14-16-14 which would include highland and lowland winners. Would still be harsh on Forfar and cove though.

Or 14-18-12 then the only decision is stranraer or cove to play in tier 2. Cove seems the obvious choice but Stranraer can’t be the only team in the country to be relegated.

14-20-10 could work too where the second tier contains 8 current championship clubs, all of league one, plus cove & Edinburgh.

Bigger leagues is the best way to avoid playing each other so often. It’s been well documented why that won’t fly in the premiership but why not at tier 2?

16 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

That's fair.

Teams not knowing such division they'll be in and playing the deciding games a couple of weeks  before the start of the season is hardly fair.

So, reconstruction is being done to save clubs being ‘unfairly demoted’.

Yet, the 14-14-14 proposal that League 2 are so keen on has that very result.

Clyde and Peterhead who won promotion last season from the bottom tier (or the season before last to be pedantic) and fought to get themselves into a safe position in League 1 get demoted to the bottom tier. Forfar who wouldn’t get relegated under the vote, go down anyway as do Stranraer despite the reconstruction ‘saving’ them. Cove win promotion but end up still in the bottom tier playing the same dross they’ve just played.

As for ‘no one is financially worse off’, Clyde, Peterhead, Forfar and Cove have trips to Annan and Stranraer instead of playing better quality teams.

If it goes 14-14-14 then gets reverted back after half a season or full season then Clyde, Peterhead and Forfar have to finish in the top 4 to get back to where they currently are.

A better question would be why are we trying so hard to keep them out, whilst preserving dung like Brechin, Albion rovers etc

24 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Why don’t we just run with a bigger championship, playing each other twice.

Could easily have 14-16-14 which would include highland and lowland winners. Would still be harsh on Forfar and cove though.

Or 14-18-12 then the only decision is stranraer or cove to play in tier 2. Cove seems the obvious choice but Stranraer can’t be the only team in the country to be relegated.

14-20-10 could work too where the second tier contains 8 current championship clubs, all of league one, plus cove & Edinburgh.

Bigger leagues is the best way to avoid playing each other so often. It’s been well documented why that won’t fly in the premiership but why not at tier 2?

14-20-10 - I would go for that, nobody loses and everyone gains - sort of.

I think it would be a cracking division.