The SPFL recommendation?

The play-offs will stay in L1 and L2 at a minimum I’d have thought. There’s also no way we’ll be promoting the HL & LL winners automatically every year so the Livi proposal will be very different before it goes to the vote.

I like the Premiership/Championship proposals though. Two automatic spaces and a play-off would be great.

Play-offs are good financially for clubs and generally keep excitement going longer during the league season as more teams are involved for longer. On the other hand I have always thought there is a slight fairness issue in that you can finish 40% of the way down a league and get promoted, as much as I think play-offs add to the league I have always thought that is a bit unfair. That would be the equivalent of a team finishing 8th in a 20 team league getting promoted. I guess it is finding that trade off between fairness and excitement. On balance I would probably keep them, but I'm not too fussed either way.

Sturgeon in full nanny state mode by telling the good people of Scotland they can't be trusted to sit in their own homes and watch closed doors games on their TVs.

Meanwhile just watch all the other countries do just that in the next few months.

RIP Scottish fitba

10 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Sturgeon in full nanny state mode by telling the good people of Scotland they can't be trusted to sit in their own homes and watch closed doors games on their TVs.

Meanwhile just watch all the other countries do just that in the next few months.

RIP Scottish fitba

The good people of Scotland couldn't be trusted not to go to the pub the day before lockdown began to be fair

RIP Scottish fitba

Trying behind closed doors would kill virtually every club in Scotland, but you feel free to blame a politician.

I take it that in the Livvie proposal the Premier is playing 26 matches before the split then an extra 12 or 14 games. This gives the Uglies 4 games & the rest of the top 6 up to two more home games against them. Not a bad proposal for the top league, why not replicate this for the teams below ?  I'm fed up with the boredom of 10 team leagues & would also go with summer football which may be necessary when we restart. I'd rather have big leagues but no one wants to share out the loot.

RIP Scottish fitba

Nothing to do with Nicola Sturgeon FFS

Full wages + No gate money = No clubs

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Trying behind closed doors would kill virtually every club in Scotland, but you feel free to blame a politician.

I'm not blaming anyone, just making an observation.

I'm all for a deep freeze of all football clubs , as I agree with you that closed doors games for a long period of time will kill all but a few (maybe even just be Celtic left) - I have been saying that on here for the last 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Also: she never ruled it out. She got flung with a question out of the blue and gave a pragmatic answer that it is something that would need to be considered.

She said "If a match is being played behind closed doors but is still on television, the danger is people will still congregate together in groups to watch that." 

I get what she is saying but what happens when the EPL returns behind closed doors and on TV - what then?  

I think that if crowds at entertainment venues (including football stadiums) are to be banned until there is effectively a vaccine rolled out (maybe sometime between August-December 2021?), then outside of the top 3-4 leagues football will have to be postponed. Clubs could not afford to have full squads but no match day revenue.

To take the Rovers as one example. Currently we have 9 players signed for next year (two of which are 16 y.o. apprentices). It would be madness to sign 13-15 new players on full, full-time, championship wages for a season of closed door games. It would kill us. To survive, we would be better not playing at all and finding a way to pay for those we have signed up already...

If it's nothing to do with her why was she asked and why did she answer.
Anyway see my answer above. 

I think ensuring the safety of the people of Scotland rather than the survival of football clubs was prevalent in her mind tbh.
Imagine thinking people’s lives are more important than football ffs......

19 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

She said "If a match is being played behind closed doors but is still on television, the danger is people will still congregate together in groups to watch that." 

I get what she is saying but what happens when the EPL returns behind closed doors and on TV - what then?  

You do realise that the things Nicola Sturgeon says aren't just random solutions she's thought up and generally her advice is backed up by medical experts, yes? I'm sure if it were safe to do so Sturgeon would be delighted to see football return, evidently it's not and evidently we cannot trust people because the police are still going round breaking up hundreds of house parties. You think house parties would increase or decrease when the only way to watch football is with a Sky or Amazon account? 

29 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Has that Dawson Park clown hacked your account?

People absolutely would ignore the social distancing rules and congregate in each other's houses to watch matches. I can just picture a dozen or more sevco fans sitting in a house with their taps on and beer bellies hanging out, getting pished and watching sellic hump them, then meeting the dozen or so sellic fans from across the road in the middle of the street when the game ends!

If the EPL returns as you suggest, then they'll accelerate the spread of the virus because, they too, would gather in houses.

It would take a long time but if the money was divided equally then the leagues would be a lot more even and there would be less cannon fodder games

Couldn’t agree more but that goes back to letting the home team keep the gate money rather than splitting it. That was the real start of the divide. It has of course got progressively worse since then and won’t be turning back the way any time soon

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

Couldn’t agree more but that goes back to letting the home team keep the gate money rather than splitting it. That was the real start of the divide. It has of course got progressively worse since then and won’t be turning back the way any time soon

A great point here. Why does the home team keep gate money in league matches?  Clubs regularly end up going full months with only 1 week of income. It's madness, but the top clubs don't like sharing.

The Livi proposal seems reasonable but would keep playoffs as they are and bring the premier league playoff inline with that.

There’s no way that 2 relegation spots in league 2 would gain support. 1 automatic relegation spot so that the HL/LL playoff winner gains automatic promotion is more realistic (and should happen) although even then I’m sceptical it would be supported by league 2 clubs.