The SPFL recommendation?

Excerpt from the BBC interview with Ann Budge - She genuinely cannot remember who got a loan, but she knows it can be done because it sticks in her mind.

Wow! Selective memory or a downright lie? She became a director in 2014, agreed a loan to a club sometime around then but can't remember who. It is only around 5 years ago and does not happen often, so how can it stick in her mind that much she forgets who it was?

I think she may have a trust issue through all this, but I doubt they care.

TE: But Neil Doncaster has said repeatedly that there is no other way, that by the rules of the league, the money could only be released once final league placing were known. Partick Thistle's QC has had a look at the rules and he disagrees. Who's right?

AB: I've sat on the SPFL board and I've approved a loan for another club. I know that loans can be approved.

TE: When was that?

AB: In my early days as a director. I genuinely can't remember the club involved, but a club required an advance. We discussed it [as a board], it wasn't contentious, everybody agreed and we moved on. It sticks in my mind. Can you give a loan to a club? Yes you can. And I know that for a fact.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

12 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Excerpt from the BBC interview with Ann Budge - She genuinely cannot remember who got a loan, but she knows it can be done because it sticks in her mind.

Wow! Selective memory or a downright lie? She became a director in 2014, agreed a loan to a club sometime around then but can't remember who. It is only around 5 years ago and does not happen often, so how can it stick in her mind that much she forgets who it was?

TE: But Neil Doncaster has said repeatedly that there is no other way, that by the rules of the league, the money could only be released once final league placing were known. Partick Thistle's QC has had a look at the rules and he disagrees. Who's right?

AB: I've sat on the SPFL board and I've approved a loan for another club. I know that loans can be approved.

AB: In my early days as a director. I genuinely can't remember the club involved, but a club required an advance. We discussed it [as a board], it wasn't contentious, everybody agreed and we moved on. It sticks in my mind. Can you give a loan to a club? Yes you can. And I know that for a fact.

Maybe if you said a colour it would help her remember. 

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Look there is nothing amazing about the League giving a club in financial difficulties a loan repayable against fees due to it from the League a little later if it helps avoid insolvency or pay its players. It would be done on an emergency basis and without publicity for obvious reasons.  In this case just getting the money was not the key driver for many clubs and in the past was only for one club with certainty as regards repayment

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Look there is nothing amazing about the League giving a club in financial difficulties a loan repayable against fees due to it from the League a little later if it helps avoid insolvency or pay its players. It would be done on an emergency basis and without publicity for obvious reasons.  In this case just getting the money was not the key driver for many clubs and in the past was only for one club with certainty as regards repayment

I think you miss my point.

The point was

a. She cannot remember who even though it is unusual &

b. It sticks in her mind.

Contradiction is what I was getting at.

3 hours ago, Enigma said:

Falkirk fans getting desperate...

221ba4f4-6de2-4753-9b2d-92ea916033b3.jpge25b3fe2-a3d1-4494-a951-8b351d29dbec.jpg091d7b52-866b-401d-a873-f04ad24d9b69.jpg

20 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I wouldnt have thought telling folk on national radio the work hes already doing for next season was the most sensible thing to do then.

What a fucking bunch of roasters.

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

All clubs are in for their own benefit.No one gives a flying f**k about the good of the game.Ann Budge , if she had her way would axe 20 of the clubs in the SPFL.Now that it suits her she wants 44.It is the worst kind of hypocrisy.

This should not be forgotten, as a fan of one of those 20 clubs, she'd happily axe, remember our clubs are generally better run & live within thier means, Hearts were the first to go to the fans with the begging bowl!

Personally i would like a return to an 18 top flight ( never going to happen i know) 18-12-12.It would give smaller clubs a chance at the big time again while making the games more meaningful.4 times a season cannon fodder is just boring repetitive and lets be honest, only done for the Old Firm.

The 4 old firm games a season, is not simply for their own benefit. These games are the most sought after & our most marketable. We have to maximise this, an 18 team league with St Johnstone v Ayr in front of 2000 fans won't whet many appetites outside Scotland. TV companies need full stadiums with players they are familiar with to attract outside audiences. 

I wish we could attract more stay away fans, but too many games on TV has ruined that, along with the perception the PL is the be all and end all, when it really is just a better dressed up & more glamorous package. 

Why is this a big deal? Les Gray confirmed today that loans can be provided. Whether Budge can or can’t remember the club (and may simply have not wanted to name them) isn’t really a deal breaker in any of this is it?

The SPFL previously stating that they couldn’t give loans is much more of an issue for me.

All clubs are in for their own benefit.No one gives a flying f**k about the good of the game.Ann Budge , if she had her way would axe 20 of the clubs in the SPFL.Now that it suits her she wants 44.It is the worst kind of hypocrisy.
However i am dead against Hearts, Partick and Stranraer being relegated .IT IS SIMPLY UNFAIR.League reconstruction must be done to stop those clubs being affected( remember players, staff etc have jobs on the line at a critical moment in our history).But it must be done with a longer term future in mind.Not 1 or 2 seasons that suit your agenda.
Personally i would like a return to an 18 top flight ( never going to happen i know) 18-12-12.It would give smaller clubs a chance at the big time again while making the games more meaningful.4 times a season cannon fodder is just boring repetitive and lets be honest, only done for the Old Firm.Infact i would add that the decline in Scottish football in Europe began in 1975 with the inception of the PL.A slow erosion that took hold by the late 80's early 90's.Tartan Presov being a good example.
Whatever the outcome you just hope the longer term future of the game is put first as this is a unique opportunity of meaningful change.However i fear the personal agendas will once again triumph as the SKY booty is shared out amongst the usual suspects.

You think our decline in Europe began in 1975? I’m guessing you may not be old enough to remember Aberdeen and Dundee United in the 1980s. Some of Scottish clubs’ best ever displays took place in the 1980s. And if you think there are cannon fodder games in the current top league set up can you imagine what it would be like in an 18 team top division?

20 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Why is this a big deal? Les Gray confirmed today that loans can be provided. Whether Budge can or can’t remember the club (and may simply have not wanted to name them) isn’t really a deal breaker in any of this is it?

The SPFL previously stating that they couldn’t give loans is much more of an issue for me.

They said they couldn't give loans to every club in lieu of prize money. Giving out 42 loans is quite different to giving out one loan.

Never heard his interview but this is what hes said to some rags

Gray described claims the SPFL could have loaned clubs money rather than terminate the Championship, League and Two seasons to release prize money as a “red herring” given the amount of time it would have taken to perform due diligence on the loan applications.

2 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Never heard his interview but this is what hes said to some rags

Gray described claims the SPFL could have loaned clubs money rather than terminate the Championship, League and Two seasons to release prize money as a “red herring” given the amount of time it would have taken to perform due diligence on the loan applications.

Surely they're only loaning them their own money at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

What a fucking bunch of roasters.

Derek Easton in 1% of zero apparently. I wouldn't worry about him getting a coherent message to.HMRC.

McGlynn should have been out in an induced coma to prevent him thinking about work.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They said they couldn't give loans to every club in lieu of prize money. Giving out 42 loans is quite different to giving out one loan.

Exactly, they lied at the outset, but Budge, being out of the same mould, has told another lie trying to prove her point. She could have just said it's confidential for quite obvious reasons, but a lie comes more naturally to her and the others involved.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

In which case say you don't want to name them. Hardly builds trust if your answer to Loans being/not being allowed is I can't remember but it sticks in my mind. 

Considering how important that element is to this debate, if I was her I would have had the Board minutes dug out and reminded myself.

That is why it is a big deal - she is being slippery, so it does not build trust.