The SPFL recommendation?

Just now, Diamond8 said:

Why would you need any split? It's a shambles and should be a non starter in any league, how anyone on this planet can think that the possibility of finishing 6th with less points than the team that finishes 7th is a good idea is beyond me.

Financial Pragmatism. Broadcasters love the Glasgow derbies. More of those = more money.

To try to clear this up a bit, the top figures from the Sun are completely wrong. They have no basis in fact whatsoever and are based on an incorrect assumption about what clubs have been paid so far. They have assumed that the remaining money will be paid based on the final percentages, but this is not correct - the money paid so far has been based on the minimum available within each division, so the clubs at the bottom of each division have already been paid most of their money, while the clubs higher up are due much more.
The second article from the Daily Record outlines the total prize money each club would expect to receive over the season (based on an assumption that the total prize money is the same as last season). The headline is misleading but the actual article makes it clear that clubs have already been paid money.
This is my estimate of what clubs are due. It is based on two main assumptions - the first is that the total prize pot is the same as last season (£25m) and the second is that clubs have already been paid 80% of the minimum placing for their division. This tallies up almost exactly with the Inverness claim that they are due £330k, but less so with Forfar's claim that they are only due about £3k. This suggests that either slightly more has been paid to lower league clubs, or that one of them was wrong.
Picture1.thumb.png.255c8bbdb40d51aed9c3776b0f56b8d0.png

Remember the interim payment that every team got when we first went into lockdown. Take that off all your figures [emoji106]

6 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Why would you need any split? It's a shambles and should be a non starter in any league, how anyone on this planet can think that the possibility of finishing 6th with less points than the team that finishes 7th is a good idea is beyond me.

^^^ everyda 

Remember the interim payment that every team got when we first went into lockdown. Take that off all your figures [emoji106]
PS then go back and find my figures I quoted other day and work it out from there.

Thanks all

Here all day....

... the now as on furlough [emoji1787][emoji1787]

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Norway only plays 30 league games a season though. You’d need a messy split to make a 16 team league work in Scotland, and as mentioned it’s a non-started for the top flight anyway for reasons that should be obvious.

How do their teams cope with a 30 game season and yet we cant?

Financial Pragmatism. Broadcasters love the Glasgow derbies. More of those = more money.

Time to embrace the American play off approach. Top 2 in a 9 game extravaganza to determine who wins the SPFL Bowl. Home and away games (top team at home first) and if 4-4 the 9th game goes to Hampden.
Gives the TV companies what they need, gives something for old firm fans to lose their shit over and the rest of us can just go about our business in a more sensible league structure.

I am of course joking, but give it time.

Guest Ecosse83

The sad truth is club's will get this money and in 2/3 months time will desperately need more. 

I wonder how many clubs will need to go part time or worse? It's going to be sad times for Scottish football which might just put this current topic of conversation into perspective!

25 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Remember the interim payment that every team got when we first went into lockdown. Take that off all your figures emoji106.png

The interim payment was an advance of what was due in April. I've assumed that to be included in the 80%, since the April payment was one of several scheduled payments throughout the season.

52 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Don't really want to drag all this out again, but that's not how I remember it; it was the SPL line that Falkirk couldn't guarantee primacy that would avoid a home fixture clash with Airdrie.  Conveniently ignoring that its the SPL who organise the fixture lists - hence the Arse-cheeks never both play at home on the same day.   And irrespective of ICT or Gretna ground-sharing with top tier clubs,  Celtic ground-shared with Queens Park, did they not?  

The SPL organised the SPL fixture list, but Airdrie played in the SFL, who had their own fixture list. Therefore the SPL were correct that if Falkirk couldn't guarantee primacy over the ground, then the SPL's fixture list would have been contingent on the SFL fixture list, which was controlled independently by a different body. Any time the SFL rescheduled a fixture, it could have affected the SPL fixture list.

Celtic groundshared with Queen's Park before the SPL started, when both clubs were still playing under the same organisation (the SFL), so the same person controlled the fixtures for both teams, just as was the case with ICT/Aberdeen and Gretna/Motherwell.

25 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Time to embrace the American play off approach. Top 2 in a 9 game extravaganza to determine who wins the SPFL Bowl. Home and away games (top team at home first) and if 4-4 the 9th game goes to Hampden.
Gives the TV companies what they need, gives something for old firm fans to lose their shit over and the rest of us can just go about our business in a more sensible league structure.

I am of course joking, but give it time.

I sorta wondered if we could make a pre season "Glasgow shield" tournament, kinda like the English community shield. A two legged final, of course....

Just now, renton said:

I sorta wondered if we could make a pre season "Glasgow shield" tournament, kinda like the English community shield. A two legged final, of course....

This is not going to be taken seriously as a competition by anyone and is not going to have anything like the same value to broadcasters as league games, just as the English Community Shield won't be worth nearly as much as the English Premier League deal.

The fuel bill alone would bankrupt those clubs in that Third Tier.
And what about the global warming, oh I forgot the planet is already fcuked

If multiple teams are to be added to the bottom tier there should only be one from the Highlands with the rest from the Lowlands because of the population disparity.

Guest Ecosse83

What happens if we're still in a lockdown and player contracts run out? Do the government still furlough those players or do they start getting nothing?

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is not going to be taken seriously as a competition by anyone and is not going to have anything like the same value to broadcasters as league games, just as the English Community Shield won't be worth nearly as much as the English Premier League deal.

I'm being flippant. 

16 team top league, split after 30 games into:

Group A: teams 1-4
Group B: teams 5, 8, 9 and 12
Group C: teams 6, 7, 10 and 11
Group D: teams 13-16

Play additional 6 games.

Group A winners are champions and second place get a European spot.

Third and fourth go into European playoffs with winners of B and C.

Bottom 2 in D get relegated.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SPL organised the SPL fixture list, but Airdrie played in the SFL, who had their own fixture list. Therefore the SPL were correct that if Falkirk couldn't guarantee primacy over the ground, then the SPL's fixture list would have been contingent on the SFL fixture list, which was controlled independently by a different body. Any time the SFL rescheduled a fixture, it could have affected the SPL fixture list.

Celtic groundshared with Queen's Park before the SPL started, when both clubs were still playing under the same organisation (the SFL), so the same person controlled the fixtures for both teams, just as was the case with ICT/Aberdeen and Gretna/Motherwell.

Thank the fūcking Lord! I owe you a pint Craig.