The SPFL recommendation?

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

OK, I went back and reread all the available details of the “proposal”, and it “seems* to mean:

1) This is a two year action, and at the end of that time, another league structure must be established.

2) It is not clear what format would be used for year three if there wasn’t an agreement reached between the SPFL teams, but it’s likely it would be back to 12-10-10-10.

3) The wording of the reaction by Championship teams suggests no promotions or relegations at the end of 2021-2022, simply either the drop back to 12-10-10-10 or the change to the new format replacing that...which would screw the winners of the second level completely and the third level somewhat.

Given that data, at the end of 2021-2022 (which could be the next season played, not the second...it seems the proposal is for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, regardless of if 2020-2021 is played), the following would be the default scenario:

Teams A1-A12 remain in the top division, teams A13 and A14 join teams B1-8 in the new second division, teams B9-14 join teams C1-4 in the new third division and teams C5-14 form the new fourth division. On the whole, this is a screw for the entire Championship/Second Level, which easily explains why they would vote no. It’s less bad, relatively, for the Premiership/First Level, however it certainly gives the weaker teams a fear. League One gets a few of extra teams up a relative level for a year or two, with possible financial implications that could hurt them in three years, League Two gets, in my opinion, the shaft...but that might vary depending upon promotion/relegation at the very bottom.

Lets consider some nightmare scenarios, that explain why the top two leagues will vote no. First, 2020-2021 is scratched except for the top level, at the end of the season, who would be relegated and who would be promoted? No one...Premiership likes that, the Championship votes no...OR, let play 2020-2021, and Hearts fumbles around again and gets relegated to the second level. At the end of 2021-2022, Hearts has fallen to 9th in the second level, due to extreme financial distress (under 14-14-14, the second level crowds would be a bit smaller on average) and Administration points deductions. So then Hearts (or any other unlucky ex-Premiership team) starts 2022-2023 in the redone League One, every top level teams can see this possibility, and votes no...etc.

They'll be no championship clubs left or us and partick if theres no next season at all.  Play has to start january at the latest I would say. I'm not sure the crowds will be much smaller. You've got us and partick up and ICT the ones moving out. You also get an extra couple of home games if it's a 40 game season.

They need to clarify what happens after 2 years. Would seem ridiculous to me to change for the sake of it  if the 14 14 14 proved more  successful. The clubs all need to have a say about what happens next in two years time that's for sure.

Just now, CALDERON said:

Looks like Stenny and Elgin both against this, going by BBC website. 

They're the two teams that came out backing  14 14 14 the last time and telling all and sundry that league 2 would vote for it en bloc.  Now suddenly they think it's a bad idea. No wonder we cant agree ever on absolutely anything.🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Isnt one of the other proposals/ideas to let the leagues go into hibernation for a year then see where things are with Covid

A lot of clubs have already pledged money in contracts for next terms. They would need substantial financial backing to resolve that or be looking at calling in the administrators to try and save the business.

Just now, harry94 said:

A lot of clubs have already pledged money in contracts for next terms. They would need substantial financial backing to resolve that or be looking at calling in the administrators to try and save the business.

Sure one of the news articles had a proposal where the Premiership carries on as normal or as close to preserve the Sky deal, whilst the other leagues go into hibernation for a season.

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Sure one of the news articles had a proposal where the Premiership carries on as normal or as close to preserve the Sky deal, whilst the other leagues go into hibernation for a season.

We'd be out the game if that happened m8.

"Tatters, meanwhile, insists Budge's plan - which includes the option of a 16-team bottom tier - has "nothing in it" for clubs in Leagues One and Two of the current 12-10-10-10 format."

I fail to see what staying in 12-10-10-10 offers league 1 and 2 teams either. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They'll be no championship clubs left or us and partick if theres no next season at all.  Play has to start january at the latest I would say. I'm not sure the crowds will be much smaller. You've got us and partick up and ICT the ones moving out. You also get an extra couple of home games if it's a 40 game season.

They need to clarify what happens after 2 years. Would seem ridiculous to me to change for the sake of it  if the 14 14 14 proved more  successful. The clubs all need to have a say about what happens next in two years time that's for sure.

But would it be a 40 game schedule? With 14 teams, the top levels 6/8 split is predicated upon the teams getting less games (top 6) trading those off for having the bigot brothers visit a second time. That carrot isn’t there in the second level. Going off the 2019 figures (last available I can find), Falkirk for ICT is an increase, Raith for Dundee U is a pretty big drop (although, Raith’s numbers will rise a bit) , but the others are all currently at/below 1,000, and while they’ll rise a bit...

So, how would the second level schedule play out? 7/7 split or 6/8 split, either way, it’s a terrible gate hit for the bottom (relative) half.

As for the “what happens in two years”, that’s the question. m8. Unless the clubs are holding something back (and the Championship gossip suggests they are not), there is no plan and that’s gonna result in another failure for the Budgie.

Bonus question, can Hearts survive in the Championship, as it is currently configured, under the following: 1) Full season 2) Half Season 3) Hibernation. I suspect the answers are 1) Probably 2) Perhaps 3) Administration, due to the fact they have something like 23 signed players. More fun is to speculate if they have to enter Administration anyway and miss promotion...

Edited by TxRover
Fixing a dropped U

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

But would it be a 40 game schedule? With 14 teams, the top levels 6/8 split is predicated upon the teams getting less games (top 6) trading those off for having the bigot brothers visit a second time. That carrot isn’t there in the second level. Going off the 2019 figures (last available I can find), Falkirk for ICT is an increase, Raith for Dundee is a pretty big drop (although, Raith’s numbers will rise a bit) , but the others are all currently at/below 1,000, and while they’ll rise a bit...

So, how would the second level schedule play out? 7/7 split or 6/8 split, either way, it’s a terrible gate hit for the bottom (relative) half.

As for the “what happens in two years”, that’s the question. m8. Unless the clubs are holding something back (and the Championship gossip suggests they are not), there is no plan and that’s gonna result in another failure for the Budgie.

Bonus question, can Hearts survive in the Championship, as it is currently configured, under the following: 1) Full season 2) Half Season 3) Hibernation. I suspect the answers are 1) Probably 2) Perhaps 3) Administration, due to the fact they have something like 23 signed players. More fun is to speculate if they have to enter Administration anyway and miss promotion...

Why would it be raith for dundee?

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They're the two teams that came out backing  14 14 14 the last time and telling all and sundry that league 2 would vote for it en bloc.  Now suddenly they think it's a bad idea. No wonder we cant agree ever on absolutely anything.🤣🤣

Know what you mean, but he's opposed to the swift revertion to the current status - with all the relegations en masse that people have rightly been slaughtering.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Know what you mean, but he's opposed to the swift revertion to the current status - with all the relegations en masse that people have rightly been slaughtering.

They're in the bottom league anyway though worst they would be is back where they are now.

4 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Voting structure all wrong is it Ann? You are saying that to lower league clubs / supporters!

Arrogant in the extreme unbelievable stuff from a successful  but desperate business woman,

It's one of the worst charm offensives I've seen. Hope it continues.

11 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Voting structure all wrong is it Ann? You are saying that to lower league clubs / supporters!

Arrogant in the extreme unbelievable stuff from a successful  but desperate business woman,

Good on her for making a point she can't back up/hearsay.