The SPFL recommendation?

Just now, craigkillie said:

All TV money and sponsorship income goes into one big pot which is paid out to clubs as prize money at the end of the season. If the Championship clubs wanted to keep that money for themselves, they could of course propose to the SPFL that each division keeps its own TV money, thus allowing the top flight to keep the £18m (soon to be £30m) per year of their own deal. I wonder why the Championship clubs didn't push for that option.

The premiership clubs quite rightly get the most money out the premiership tv deal. In that sense surely the championship clubs should get the lions share of the championship tv deal. Dont see what's wrong with that.

Credit to the posters who are still spending their time putting pesky facts in the way of this endless storm surge of braying nonsense from the Falkirk fan base as well as a handful of yer da types from every other wee seaside league outfit in the land. It's a thankless task.

Edited by vikingTON

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The premiership clubs quite rightly get the most money out the premiership tv deal. In that sense surely the championship clubs should get the lions share of the championship tv deal. Dont see what's wrong with that.

Even though it would mean significantly less for Championship clubs and nothing for any lower league clubs?

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even though it would mean significantly less for Championship clubs and nothing for any lower league clubs?

Why would it? The premiership tv money would be handed out as it is just now.  Top flight get the most of that as they should. The championship tv money then gets handed out but the percentage is changed with the championship clubs getting the percentage the premiership get and the premiership getting the championship percentage. Lower leagues wouldnt change at all.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would it? The premiership tv money would be handed out as it is just now.  Top flight get the most of that as they should. The championship tv money then gets handed out but the percentage is changed with the championship clubs getting the percentage the premiership get and the premiership getting the championship percentage. Lower leagues wouldnt change at all.

Oh this is extra money, I see!

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Oh this is extra money, I see!

No extra money. Same money we have just now just fairer distribution and your just ensuring that the championship clubs get the majority of their tv money to balance out the fact their having to play friday nights just as the top flight get the most of their deal to compensate for different ko times.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No extra money. Same money we have just now just fairer distribution.

You've lost me. TV money is distribute by the SPFL via league fees, based on league position. The Championship get their agreed percentage. What other model would see them get more without impacting other divisions unless there is more money, are you asking too tier clubs to give up some of their share?

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You've lost me. TV money is distribute by the SPFL via league fees, based on league position. The Championship get their agreed percentage. What other model would see them get more without impacting other divisions unless there is more money, are you asking too tier clubs to give up some of their share?

The top tier teams get far too much of the pot  as it is. When the championship tv deal was added they still got the most of that addition to the pot even although it's the championship sides that are getting mucked about. To me the money from that should have been shared out with the championship as the top level the top flight as the second top and then league 1 and 2. So yes the top flight would get less but then why should they get the majority of a deal that involves champ clubs when they already get the vast majority of money quite rightly from the sky tv deal. It's just sharing the money out far more fairly so will never happen as that isn't scottish footballs way.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The top tier teams get far too much of the pot  as it is. When the championship tv deal was added they still got the most of that addition to the pot even although it's the championship sides that are getting mucked about. To me the money from that should have been shared out with the championship as the top level the top flight as the second top and then league 1 and 2. So yes the top flight would get less but then why should they get the majority of a deal that involves champ clubs when they already get the vast majority of money quite rightly from the sky tv deal. It's just sharing the money out far more fairly so will never happen as that isn't scottish footballs way.

Is there a separate deal for each division?

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is there a separate deal for each division?

No at the moment the whole pot is split by percentages as prize money.  The top flight champs get a whopping 13.4 percent of the dough. In my opinion the championship money would be given out separately with the team who wins the championship getting 13.4 percent of that money down to 10th in that league would get 5 percent. The team that comes first in the top flight would get the 11th biggest percentage of 4.75 percent and so on till you get to the tiny percentages given to league one and two. The rest of the prize money including the sky tv money  would get handed out just as normal with 80 percent of it going to the top flight.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I give up.

It's pretty straightforward. The championship clubs get the premiership clubs current portion of the championship tv deal and the premiership get the championships current portion ensuring that the championship clubs get the majority of the money from their deal.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Credit to the posters who are still spending their time putting pesky facts in the way of this endless storm surge of braying nonsense from the Falkirk fan base as well as a handful of yer da types from every other wee seaside league outfit in the land. It's a thankless task.

Can you confirm that Morton are one of the teams that are having SEVERE financial problems

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's pretty straightforward. The championship clubs get the premiership clubs current portion of the championship tv deal and the premiership get the championships current portion ensuring that the championship clubs get the majority of the money from their deal.

How much are you thinking the Championship deal is actually worth?

The Premiership deal will be £30m per season from next year, unless reconstruction effects that. That £30m will be split amongst all four divisions via prize money.

The Championship TV deal, which I believe has now expired, was worth £350k a season.

I'm not even sure your cunning plan would see Championship sides earning a six figure fee more than they currently do, as the Premiership TV deal contributes the vast, vast, majority of prize money handed out.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I’ve not read all posts so this may have been discussed previously.

I think all this talk of SKY being a problem is a diversion, a red herring, a dead cat – call it what you like.

Why on earth would SKY be against a 14,14,14/16 setup? It’s not as if they have a real interest in the lower leagues but approving a change to 14, 14, 14/16 would - in my opinion - be beneficial to them – and no team is penalised because the season fixtures can’t be finished.

They would still get their coveted 4x Old Firm games; they would also save at least 2x Edinburgh derbies as Hearts would not be relegated, they might even have 4x  Dundee derbies to show so it’s a win win for them as far as I can see.

To me it looks like the problem with reconstruction all comes down to age old problem of greed.

Edited by McBrian

5 minutes ago, McBrian said:

I think all this talk of SKY being a problem is a diversion, a red herring, a dead cat – call it what you like.

Why on earth would SKY be against a 14,14,14 setup? It’s not as if they have a real interest in the lower leagues but approving a change to 14, 14, 14 would - in my opinion - be beneficial to them – and no team is penalised because the season fixtures can’t be finished.

They would still get their coveted 4x Old Firm games; they would also save at least 2x Edinburgh derbies as Hearts would not be relegated, they might even have 4x  Dundee derbies to show so it’s a win win for them as far as I can see.

To me it looks like the problem with reconstruction all comes down to age old problem of greed.

Caley v County too for shortbread and Nessie fans. 14,14,16 though please, I'd quite like to see Brora v Elgin. Not sure how you get numbers though, especially in Dundee.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much are you thinking the Championship deal is actually worth?

The Premiership deal will be £30m per season from next year, unless reconstruction effects that. That £30m will be split amongst all four divisions via prize money.

The Championship TV deal, which I believe has now expired, was worth £350k a season.

I'm not even sure your cunning plan would see Championship sides earning a six figure fee more than they currently do, as the Premiership TV deal contributes the vast, vast, majority of prize money handed out.

Even more reason why more of the champ tv money it should go to the championship teams then . The top flight clubs would hardly miss it and the championship need every penny. Either that or dont bother at all. Championship clubs are probably losing out crowd wise due to playing at other times than 3pm and not getting recompense enough to cover it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

38 minutes ago, McBrian said:

Why on earth would SKY be against a 14,14,14/16 setup? It’s not as if they have a real interest in the lower leagues but approving a change to 14, 14, 14/16 would - in my opinion - be beneficial to them – and no team is penalised because the season fixtures can’t be finished.

It was definitely a red herring. Wasnt as if the top flight clubs allowed the reconstruction group to come up with some proposals and then brought in sky and at that stage found out there was an issue.  They ko'd it before they got close to that.

Heard that the proposal Airdrie put forward to the reconstruction group was to extend the Championship to 20 teams in a 14-20-10 setup. Think a 20 team Championship playing each other twice would have been excellent and its probably the only format to allow proper reconstruction to happen without it impacting any clubs unfairly.

More interestingly seems that reconstruction talks are still going on in the background and not strictly off the table as reported...hopefully that's the case.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Caley v County too for shortbread and Nessie fans. 14,14,16 though please, I'd quite like to see Brora v Elgin. Not sure how you get numbers though, especially in Dundee.

Add in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire derbies, the top flight could have a derby every week.

25 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Heard that the proposal Airdrie put forward to the reconstruction group was to extend the Championship to 20 teams in a 14-20-10 setup. Think a 20 team Championship playing each other twice would have been excellent and its probably the only format to allow proper reconstruction to happen without it impacting any clubs unfairly.

More interestingly seems that reconstruction talks are still going on in the background and not strictly off the table as reported...hopefully that's the case.

From a financial point of view it’d be.....interesting, great even for some.

For most L1 clubs it’d be a step up but for Championship clubs it’d be a big drop in revenue and for any team unfortunate enough to be relegated into it then it would be devastating. 

If it was to go ahead Airdrie (for example) would benefit by having only 1 visit from teams in the lower half of L 1 such as Stranraer and Peterhead and gain by having a visit from better supported teams like Dundee and Dunfermline. Conversely Championship sides would suffer due to the exact opposite.  A top flight team being relegated would suffer worse yet again with a visit from Stranraer aa opposed to two visits from one of the ugly sisters, a visit from 30 fans as opposed to 3000 is quite a stark change in fortunes, probably too much so.