The SPFL recommendation?

2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Strange theres been no posts/reaction  to Doncasters interview on Sportsound today

I thought he sounded alright, more so due to the sheer incompetence of the Sportsound team.

Sportsound is utter garbage filled with terrible ‘pundits’ like Willie Miller, Pat Bonner and Chick Young who actually have very little knowledge of Scottish football outside the ugly sisters. Have given it a wide berth for months now and you actually gain more insight and information on here.

7 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Sportsound is utter garbage filled with terrible ‘pundits’ like Willie Miller, Pat Bonner and Chick Young who actually have very little knowledge of Scottish football outside the ugly sisters. Have given it a wide berth for months now and you actually gain more insight and information on here.

Said this on twitter recently. Sportsound is filled with players who were relevant back in the late 80s and early 90s but who have very little in common with today's game. If you asked a lot of younger people, they wouldn't be able to tell you who Allan Preston played for. Yet they're still rolled out in the same manner  that Only an Excuse continues to make skits about Frank McAvennie. There's a lot of younger players now who are doing their own thing now which is great: Denholm and Munro on LLR, David Weatherston etc. 

One of the areas which didn't change post 2012 was the line ups appearing on Sportsound. They were given a gold mine and did very little with it. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Said this on twitter recently. Sportsound is filled with players who were relevant back in the late 80s and early 90s but who have very little in common with today's game. If you asked a lot of younger people, they wouldn't be able to tell you who Allan Preston played for. Yet they're still rolled out in the same manner  that Only an Excuse continues to make skits about Frank McAvennie. There's a lot of younger players now who are doing their own thing now which is great: Denholm and Munro on LLR, David Weatherston etc. 

One of the areas which didn't change post 2012 was the line ups appearing on Sportsound. They were given a gold mine and did very little with it. 

It was far better for me back.in the 80s/early 90s when it was more sports broadcaster based than ex pro.  Now they just all give their mates a job whether they can string two sentences together or not. Give me bob crampsey over that lot any day.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, EFFC1938 said:

Nevermind evidence, they still don't even know what their supposed to have done wrong? You just couldn't make this up emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

He just keeps on coming out with the old nothing to see here pish and wheres rangers evidence.  

Even the more recent players who appear on the show are clueless. I listened to the podcast during the week, and Steven Thomson was foaming at the mouth going on about how the season must be finished, even going on about testing players etc. Completely ignoring the impracticalilties of closed door games in this country. 

It's also startling how much these guys don't know about how the league works. One of the big points has been, "Why can't we pay the minimum amount of prize money now and the rest later, to buy some time" Failing to realise the minimum had already been paid. Michael Stewart, when challenging the fact that if you made early payments in full then played the games, you'd have a change in position then have to recoup money, goes on to say "it's only a few hundred thousand at most". As if that is chicken feed, especially in the likes of the Championship. Even in this league, good luck getting 30 odd grand back from a team who slips a few positions after that early payment. 

These people are paid to be experts and provide expert analysis on the Scottish game. Neil Doncaster went on the show and came out looking the most credible and most knowledgeable. That should be a stinging reality in itself. 

Edited by CALDERON

31 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That'll be because they are trying to appeal to who their listeners are normally. 40 or 50 odd year olds who do remember these guys. They always lag behind the reality. A lot of younger people will get their news and views from elsewhere. These people are tuning in now because of what's going on and exposing the likes of Young, Bonner etc.

Years ago when punditry became a thing we had similar situations when ex-pros were brought in for their name. No-one initially realised they were talking shite at first either.

They’ve tried the newly retired modern day pro approach though. Boyd, McCann, Miller, Ferguson, Caldwell... maybe they just pick bad pundits!

He just keeps on coming out with the old nothing to see here pish and wheres rangers evidence.  

A hard hitting interview where Doncaster leaves the call after stating no one approached him or anyone else about bullying. Only for Tom English to come on immediately after and state a Chief Exec of a club had text him during the interview to say they had raised concerns of bullying with Doncaster on the day of the vote.
Great. Glad it’s all sorted.

5 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

They’ve tried the newly retired modern day pro approach though. Boyd, McCann, Miller, Ferguson, Caldwell... maybe they just pick bad pundits!

Job Advertisement: Sportsound are looking for ex-pro footballers to give their views on the current state of the game, if you have not played for either Celtic or Sevco then you need not apply.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's always been thus.

Not remember Derek Johnstone and Jim Craig on Friday night Sportscene back around 1990 FFS.

Do you remember the early telly pundits. If not, imagine a room full of Ian Holloways.

Interviewer asked the same question about 4 times , nobody listened to the answer, so really incisive. None of the panel had any interest in finding out how the clubs will manage without income for 3-6-9-more months. Loans won't do it because practically nobody even manages to break even. May be the BBC will take on another 1000 commentators if they can find something to comment on.

5 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

No idea why they had a sports correspondent interviewing Doncaster.

Surely if this is about governance and finance it should be the BBC business correspondent that interviewed him.

I doubt any of them could be arsed.

It's always been thus.
Not remember Derek Johnstone and Jim Craig on Friday night Sportscene back around 1990 FFS.

Derek Johnstone could be the worst I’ve ever seen. I used to watch ‘Football First’ a lot in the early 00’s for our highlights and he was terrible. Came across as totally wooden and like he was reading the autocue constantly. Didn’t have a clue about players at that level either, the show was riddled with mistakes, embarrassing stuff.

22 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Derek Johnstone could be the worst I’ve ever seen. I used to watch ‘Football First’ a lot in the early 00’s for our highlights and he was terrible. Came across as totally wooden and like he was reading the autocue constantly. Didn’t have a clue about players at that level either, the show was riddled with mistakes, embarrassing stuff.

Derek Johnstone was bad, but he wasn't Sarah O or Julyan Sinclair bad. The Scotsport show of the early 00s was the nadir of football coverage in Scotland. I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of Scottish youngsters started paying attention to English or foreign fitba around that time.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The problem is that to land a gig you generally have to have played for one of the three Old Firm teams. Knowledge, ability to string a sentence together are secondary. That’s why Michael Stewart is so refreshing.