The SPFL recommendation?

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

She said "If a match is being played behind closed doors but is still on television, the danger is people will still congregate together in groups to watch that." 

I get what she is saying but what happens when the EPL returns behind closed doors and on TV - what then?  

Not trying to give an opinion but if things start up elsewhere, you only have to look at what’s kicking off in Trumpland.

No way will Scottish football fans want to be wimps.

I can see economic reality starting to be seriously considered along with all the other undiagnosed diseases which are building up.
There is a trade off which needs to be considered.

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A great point here. Why does the home team keep gate money in league matches?  Clubs regularly end up going full months with only 1 week of income. It's madness, but the top clubs don't like sharing.

Good luck getting that reversed.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

You do realise that the things Nicola Sturgeon says aren't just random solutions she's thought up and generally her advice is backed up by medical experts, yes? I'm sure if it were safe to do so Sturgeon would be delighted to see football return, evidently it's not and evidently we cannot trust people because the police are still going round breaking up hundreds of house parties. You think house parties would increase or decrease when the only way to watch football is with a Sky or Amazon account? 

I live in Australia where the restrictions are largely followed , clearly I have misjudged the level of disregard in Scotland as I thought it was all under control.

Yes I know Sturgeon and also her English counterparts are guided by the science , I am not an idiot. I just thought it would be okay to watch football on TV in your own house  but If the trust in the people is not there then it's not there.

Incidentally in Oz the NRL (rugby pish) is looking to open back up next month here & behind closed doors  , which has been cautiously backed by the prime minister Scomo - as long as it complies with health advice. This was the background to my initial surprise at the First Minister's comment.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/pm-offers-cautious-support-for-nrls-return-bid/  

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Good luck getting that reversed.

I have no hope of that happening, but it's a sinple step that could be mad if the clubs had an appetite for it.

1 minute ago, Hank von Hell said:

I live in Australia where the restrictions are largely followed , clearly I have misjudged the level of disregard in Scotland as I thought it was all under control.

Yes I know Sturgeon and also her English counterparts are guided by the science , I am not an idiot. I just thought it would be okay to watch football on TV in your own house  but If the trust in the people is not there then it's not there.

Incidentally in Oz the NRL (rugby pish) is looking to open back up next month here & behind closed doors  , which has been cautiously backed by the prime minister Scomo - as long as it complies with health advice. This was the background to my initial surprise at the First Minister's comment.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/pm-offers-cautious-support-for-nrls-return-bid/  

Fair enough if that's the case there but here we aren't ready to lift restrictions, nor do I think we will be in a months time. I tend to agree with Sturgeon that we shouldn't be looking at crowds gathering until a vaccine is available, or at the very least until we've had nationwide anti-body testing and we've got a strict track and isolate procedure in place for those in known contact. We're miles away from any of that.

There is no other way of putting it: football is a mass gathering. It will be a very long time until crowds are allowed back, sadly. 

As for playing it behind closed doors, Sturgeon was a bit down on that as she thinks people will use it to flout social distancing rules (i.e one buys the stream, the other three pop round to their mate's place with the tins) which is probably a fair comment, but will depend on what restrictions are in place at the time. Players present their own problems - they are not immune from catching it and can easily spread it. A lot of things to work out here, notwithstanding that clubs will suffer a double impact of vastly reduced income and having to pay players with no furlough. 

Mark Rutte, the Dutch PM, is making a press conference tonight in which he is expected to ban all licenced events until 01 September. The Netherlands is a country affected similarly to the UK in terms of the virus' impact, and so I think that's probably going to be the same here. 

Ignore Germany etc. - focus on countries affected as the UK is and see what they're doing. We will be following similar patterns. 

Edited by Michael W

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

She said "If a match is being played behind closed doors but is still on television, the danger is people will still congregate together in groups to watch that." 

I get what she is saying but what happens when the EPL returns behind closed doors and on TV - what then?  

IF!

Also, remember the English game is completely subservient to TV money. That is their clubs first priority. Much like decisions within our own game in thrall to "what would Old Firm fans do if this happened?"

1 minute ago, pantene proV said:

IF!

Also, remember the English game is completely subservient to TV money. That is their clubs first priority. Much like decisions within our own game in thrall to "what would Old Firm fans do if this happened?"

See also UEFA, who are adamant that they will finish the Champions League and Europa League. Utter madness. 

So how is this going to work then?

Newcastle v Man U behind closed doors. Game is completed. On the Monday one Man U player goes down sick. Probably CV19 but we don’t know for sure.

All players and officials from both clubs now go into self isolation for 7-14 days as things stand.

Someone explain to me what happens next? ...the following Saturday games involving these sides is postponed and maybe the midweek and Saturday game the week after.

Take this and multiply it by how many occurrences of players getting ill as you think will happen over the period and tell me how you can complete a set of fixtures in a defined timeline.....

Guest Ecosse83
3 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I think that if crowds at entertainment venues (including football stadiums) are to be banned until there is effectively a vaccine rolled out (maybe sometime between August-December 2021?), then outside of the top 3-4 leagues football will have to be postponed. Clubs could not afford to have full squads but no match day revenue.

To take the Rovers as one example. Currently we have 9 players signed for next year (two of which are 16 y.o. apprentices). It would be madness to sign 13-15 new players on full, full-time, championship wages for a season of closed door games. It would kill us. To survive, we would be better not playing at all and finding a way to pay for those we have signed up already...

I'm assuming clubs like ours have furloughed all playing staff? Does that mean they will stay at the club's beyond their current deals or do they still get released?

There could be more part time clubs in the Championship next season than full time clubs. The last 2 weeks have been terrible for Scottish football but there could still be much worse to come! 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

A great point here. Why does the home team keep gate money in league matches?  Clubs regularly end up going full months with only 1 week of income. It's madness, but the top clubs don't like sharing.

It made a huge difference. For example when Sons were in the old first division in the seventies they benefited from sharing away gates But when they were in the premier in 1984 they didnt get the same financial benefit.Its probably exarcebated now because of the way the fixtures work. Used to be generally home away week about but now it is regularly two at home or two away which as Moonster says means clubs can go several weeks without any income. It takes two teams to make a match and spectators are watching them both so there should be at least some sort of sharing. However its clearly not going to happen

Edited by Nowhereman

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not trying to give an opinion but if things start up elsewhere, you only have to look at what’s kicking off in Trumpland.

No way will Scottish football fans want to be wimps.

I can see economic reality starting to be seriously considered along with all the other undiagnosed diseases which are building up.
There is a trade off which needs to be considered.

You think not wanting to die or spread death makes you a wimp?

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Having debated with him a few times, I can confirm that’s exactly what he thinks.....

I have always maintained that there has to be a trade off between lockdown and economic activity.

Lockdown in itself produces health issues through poverty, depression, etc., etc..and that has to be weighed against restarting economic and social activities.

There is also the question of allowing the state too many powers to suppress individual freedom.

Dangerous.

3 hours ago, pantene proV said:

IF!

Which professional leagues aren't? Take out tv money from any country and it leaves a huge hole in what's available to distribute to all clubs. We know Celtic and Rangers get the most, but clubs further down still rely on and will have budgeted for that income.

They'll be just as bust of they can't meet their commitments.

I have always maintained that there has to be a trade off between lockdown and economic activity.
Lockdown in itself produces health issues through poverty, depression, etc., etc..and that has to be weighed against restarting economic and social activities.
There is also the question of allowing the state too many powers to suppress individual freedom.
Dangerous.

Individual freedoms do not include the right to wander around spreading a deadly virus.
You are coming across like one of these huge pick up truck driving, flag wrapped, MAGA hat wearing lunatics that are abusing healthcare workers in the USA at the moment.

56 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I have always maintained that there has to be a trade off between lockdown and economic activity

Think theres actually something in that

I get the feeling the  easing of restrictions could well be driven by the economy.