The SPFL recommendation?

53 minutes ago, Gogs Grog said:

To be fair as a Montrose fan that's the first thought I had.
Go up and have a season of better gates like Arbroath have done.

Thinking more than one season ahead? What is this witchcraft?

26 minutes ago, The Original Haggis Hunter said:

Some of the premier teams are likely the first to go down the tubes, Rangers apparently can survive 7 days without gate money.

Not sure why this hasn’t happened yet

Probably because it's not true.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

The bitterness on this forum by some Falkirk fans is quite outstanding. Then they crack on about how it's so unfair to relegate Partick. These fans dont give a jot about Partick they only care about one thing and that is promoting the 2nd top team to the Championship. When this all started I was all for reconstruction with no relegation and 2 up but why would a Clyde or Montrose for example want to agree to that. At the moment they are going to get decent gates when Falkirk and Partick attend but instead they're going to vote for Edinburgh City who will bring a fraction to their grounds and keep Stranraer who will bring even less. It's a no brainer for these teams to vote against this. 

And your point is, oh promoted one ?

If, and only if, real reconstruction is on the table, the 4 OF games are dead, which would mean a new TV contract would be required. This would not necessarily be a bad thing, as the dearth of sports on TV now shows the broadcasters where their bread is buttered. Let’s use some items from other leagues and sports. With only two OF matches in a season, the ticket prices for those matches would rise, offsetting some of the loss. The concept of variable ticket pricing for different games in the same season and competition should certainly apply here. The OF could also do a preseason match or two at stadia around the UK and Ireland and make bank.
New Premiership of 20 teams, play 38 games (home/away to all in league). Bottom three teams relegated to the new Championship, see below.
New Championship of 24 teams, divided into two divisions. Each division is 12 teams, and they play home/away within division and a single game versus the other division teams (divided 6 and 6). Thats 34 games, but bigger variety, which should help gates. The divisions are decided yearly by a 75% vote of all eligible teams. Should such a voting threshold be reached by May 31, the two unpromoted teams with the best record shall select the other teams in their division alternately to allocate them.
Promotion from Championship. The division winners will be automatically promoted. The teams placed 2-5 in each division will enter a playoff for the third promotion spot. The second team in one division will play the fifth team in the  other division, etc (2A-5B, 3A-4B, 4A-3B and 5A-2B), in a home way format, the higher positioned team choosing between home or away for the first game. The four winners will be reseeded, based upon records, and will play top versus bottom and middle verses middle, again home/away. The two winners of this round will advance to a single game at Hampten Park, the winner to be promoted.
Relegation from Championship. The bottom side in each division shall enter a playoff with the highest placed HL/LL team. The team from HL/LL with the better record shall have first choice of opponent, the Championship side shall choose home or away for the first game. The winner of each series shall play in the Championship the next year.
Advantages: 44 teams, wider variety of opponents, better money distribution, likely more TV interest due to variety of matches. 
Disadvantages: Fewer OF matches.
Open Question: What kind of a TV contact could be negotiated...but that can be found out quickly.

What a pile of dung.

2 hours ago, AGPar said:

It's highly unlikely that football fans will be setting foot inside any stadium this side of Christmas. So if clubs are hanging their hats on "decent gates from Partick and Falkirk" they will be waiting a long, long, long time. By the time football returns to some sort of normality, a lot of clubs will not be around.to see it. That's the reality. For this reason, reconstruction is some form is absolutely inevitable.

Agreed. Reconstruction will be a necessity. The way some of the boffins are talking, well be lucky to have season 2021/ 22 up and running on time.

10 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

What a pile of dung.

Which part? (Ha, made you read it)

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There are already variable ticket prices within the league. Every club charges what they want for every individual game. Your suggestion here seems to be geared entirely towards the Old Firm earning more money.

Also, the TV companies are clearly not going to rip up an already agreed contract to offer more money.

Not nearly to the extend of many other leagues around the world. Let the OF charge their fans more and more. My proposal was geared to not having the OF reject it outright.

As for the contract, I expect a new contract, with more attractive games than just the OF, might do as well or better. The Championship promotion playoffs would be stick-on ratings winners. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You think it's more likely that several Premiership clubs vote for something that will actively disadvantage them?

No, I think that, whatever the result of a vote, Celtic & Sevco will, somehow, not end up being disadvantaged. Crazy notion, I know!

25 minutes ago, beefybake said:

And your point is, oh promoted one ?

My point is that most teams will vote for teams that bring revenue to their club rather than teams that have an away support that doesn't even fill a 50 seater bus. Plus most teams will probably be glad to see the end of your bog of a pitch, oh relegated one!!!! 

Edited by raith1974
Update

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As for the contract, I expect a new contract, with more attractive games than just the OF, might do as well or better. The Championship promotion playoffs would be stick-on ratings winners. 

In that scenario, there wouldn't be a "new contract". Sky would just stick with the current contract they already have to show these games.

1 hour ago, Gogs Grog said:

To be fair as a Montrose fan that's the first thought I had.
Go up and have a season of better gates like Arbroath have done.

Only to find that they have no promotion in 2021 to allow them to get back to 12 teams in the premier again. In this organisation you do not wait for jam tomorrow. Vote for the structure and money and opposition that suits you now, not some potential promotion in the future. 

37 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

My point is that most teams will vote for teams that bring revenue to their club rather than teams that have an away support that doesn't even fill a 50 seater bus. Plus most teams will probably be glad to see the end of your bog of a pitch, oh relegated one!!!! 

Thanks. I thought as much, you don't really have a constructive point.

Probably best if you ***k of back to your own RR thread with your garbage.

17 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Only to find that they have no promotion in 2021 to allow them to get back to 12 teams in the premier again. In this organisation you do not wait for jam tomorrow. Vote for the structure and money and opposition that suits you now, not some potential promotion in the future. 

I'm not naive enough to think it's not how people will think but is it not exactly this type of thinking that has created a lot of the problems we're trying to fix?

The OF want 4 fixtures per season and a skewed prize fund distribution because it's best for them. Screw the rest and screw a competitive league. The rest of the Premier clubs toe the line in the hope that the scraps they get give them enough of an edge over slightly smaller clubs who already find it tough to get into the top league due to the structure of the play-offs etc. And just keep that going down and down. League One and Two clubs don't want to open up automatic relegation form L2, the LL don't want to open up too much movement between them and the pyramid below them.

Really what clubs should be doing is looking to design a league structure as if they didn't know which part of it they'll end up in. Because you might know where you'll be next season but you've no idea where you'll be in 5, 10 years.

Edited by Gordon EF

41 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Thanks. I thought as much, you don't really have a constructive point.

Probably best if you ***k of back to your own RR thread with your garbage.

Sorry but I'm not going to f**k off just cause you say so. Maybe you would be better planting potatoes in that so called pitch, it may make you more money. Anyway, I'm glad that you will go down and be replaced with an ambitious club, what ambition has Stranraer ever shown, none. If you dont get my point that at this level clubs are only really interested in money for survival then dont comment. Partick, Falkirk offer a lot more than Stranraer to all other clubs left in this league. Maybe it wont be beneficial for promotion prospects but then again having Hearts in our league wont be great for other clubs promotion prospects but I'd rather have Hearts bring 2500 - 3000 fans twice than Partick bring maybe 800. 

Why do you think I'm so happy for promotion, yes it gets us out of the seaside league but gives us two home games potentially against Hearts, two against the Pars again who will bring close to 2500 fans to both games and Dundee if riding high will also bring a decent crowd. Much needed funds to help my club financially.

4 hours ago, AGPar said:

It's highly unlikely that football fans will be setting foot inside any stadium this side of Christmas. So if clubs are hanging their hats on "decent gates from Partick and Falkirk" they will be waiting a long, long, long time. By the time football returns to some sort of normality, a lot of clubs will not be around.to see it. That's the reality. For this reason, reconstruction is some form is absolutely inevitable.

Why does clubs going bust make reconstruction inevitable? Why not just punt clubs up from the lower leagues like when ourselves or Gretna went bust?

58 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not naive enough to think it's not how people will think but is it not exactly this type of thinking that has created a lot of the problems we're trying to fix?

The OF want 4 fixtures per season and a skewed prize fund distribution because it's best for them. Screw the rest and screw a competitive league. The rest of the Premier clubs toe the line in the hope that the scraps they get give them enough of an edge over slightly smaller clubs who already find it tough to get into the top league due to the structure of the play-offs etc. And just keep that going down and down. League One and Two clubs don't want to open up automatic relegation form L2, the LL don't want to open up too much movement between them and the pyramid below them.

Really what clubs should be doing is looking to design a league structure as if they didn't know which part of it they'll end up in. Because you might know where you'll be next season but you've no idea where you'll be in 5, 10 years.

Has history not taught you that we will not get a structure that you and I desire unless all 32 below the SPFL vote strategically? When that happens we can talk sensibly. Meanwhile, do not listen to any promises from the top 12 & Dundee.