The SPFL recommendation?

Just as a experiment, let’s  say we were able to start games about July 1, and agree to play the 8 or 9 missing games over 5 weeks. The players get compelled with extended contracts...so now the teams have to pay them. Do the basic maths, 20 players on as little as £200/week is £20,000 for the five weeks. Everyone pretty much agrees there would be no crowd, so no gate and associated revenues. And, to be honest, £20,000 is low for the players for five weeks and ignores the other club costs...and these are teams scrambling to gather a few thousand quid! That plan would bankrupt at least half the League One teams, most of League Two, and  fair number of Championship and Premiership sides would be digging in the sofa for loose change, with a couple failing too.

3 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Teams should be able to apply for an advance on their prize money up to the lowest point they could mathematically finish in their league campaign

As I understand things, this is effectively the sum of money which each club has already received from the SPFL in tranches, over the course of the current season. It's the balance remaining due to each club based on their respective final league positions, that clubs would like payment of. I think this is why the Forfar Chairman said on Saturday that they are only due circa £3,700.

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

Heard a wee rumour that may or may not be from spfl mouth directly about plans for a 16/16/16 league set up under the reconstruction plans being thrown about.

Just look at how good that would be. Personally think this will save Scottish football and make people interested in their clubs again.

Top tier of:
Celtic
Rangers
Motherwell
Aberdeen
Livingston
Hibs
St J
Killie
St mirren
Ross county
Hamilton
Hearts
Dundee utd
Inverness
Dundee
Ayr

Second tier of:
Dunfy
Arbroath
Morton
Alloa
Qots
Partick
Raith
Falkirk
Airdrie
Montrose
EF
Dumbarton
Clyde
Peterhead
Forfar
Stranraer

Third tier of:
Cove
Edin
Cowden
Queens
Elgin
Annan
Stirling
Albion
Brechin
Brora
Kelty
Fraserburgh
Bonnyrigg
Inverurie
East Stirling

Sign me up now

Come on now, you come across as one of the more streetwise and sensible posters on here. 

If 3 leagues of 16 is being spoken about, surely you're not naive enough to realise it will contain at least two colt teams.

Edited by Specky Ginger

52 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

I posted many pages back that regardless of a yes / no vote, the killer card lies within the greed league. 11 - 1 vote is required for any change. All this shite about the SPFL opening talks on reconstruction is a discussion that would last 10 secs ie no Fck.n Chance.  Only a smokescreen and seen through it from the minute is was used as bait to vote yes. Hope Partick all the best and sincerely hope that there may be further discussion, my gut feeling is that the SPFL will steam roll ahead as I don’t see them giving in now, however for the good of football hope that sense comes to all.

Do you not think that clubs like yours should now change your vote to NO , it’s allowed as that’s what Dundee look like doing and if clubs in the lower league dislike the premier league so much why not stick together and then they would not get their way 

1 minute ago, kvz2000 said:

Do you not think that clubs like yours should now change your vote to NO , it’s allowed as that’s what Dundee look like doing and if clubs in the lower league dislike the premier league so much why not stick together and then they would not get their way 

We did vote No along with yourselves, East Fife and Edinburgh City

Come on now, you come across as one of the more streetwise and sensible posters on here. 
If 3 leagues of 16 is being spoken about, surely you're not naive enough to realise it will contain at least two colt teams.

Haha I totally did not think of that, that better not be the case but now you have said it I can't see anything else. Shit

50 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're right, it could persuade the other side to back down. That would be a result, but kvz was saying the document was the result.

senior and junior council have confirmed SPFL have mislead clubs and carried the whole process in an unfair and biased manner 

this is what I said 

2 minutes ago, kvz2000 said:

senior and junior council have confirmed SPFL have mislead clubs and carried the whole process in an unfair and biased manner 

this is what I said 

In their opinion...and it's counsel, not council. One is a senior lawyer, the other empties your bin.

It needs an 11 to 1 majority from the 12 premiership teams for reconstruction. It wouldn't matter if all the lower league clubs stuck together and voted the same way.

You can only apparently change a no vote.

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Raith just released a statement saying it would be a 14 10 10 10 split. With 2 up into every league and no relegation.

That sounds like a uniquely shit league structure.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Just as a experiment, let’s  say we were able to start games about July 1, and agree to play the 8 or 9 missing games over 5 weeks. The players get compelled with extended contracts...so now the teams have to pay them. Do the basic maths, 20 players on as little as £200/week is £20,000 for the five weeks. Everyone pretty much agrees there would be no crowd, so no gate and associated revenues. And, to be honest, £20,000 is low for the players for five weeks and ignores the other club costs...and these are teams scrambling to gather a few thousand quid! That plan would bankrupt at least half the League One teams, most of League Two, and  fair number of Championship and Premiership sides would be digging in the sofa for loose change, with a couple failing too.

This is what the 'play to a finish in July, behind closed doors if need be' people are completely ignoring. As soon as players go back to training then clubs need to pay full salaries. I've read that players should get 6 weeks training which seems excessive, so let's so they get 4 weeks training from mid June before we start playing games mid July. Those 4 weeks alone would be an issue given there would be no prize money left to pay players, no gate receipts or season ticket money. Then an unknown period of time where matches are being played with no crowd. This would finish off many clubs.

I think the big worry for clubs would be being stuck in a situation where lockdown starts being pulled back so the ability to furlough is withdrawn, clubs have a full squad on their books because their contracts were extended to allow the season to completed, but that fans are not yet allowed to go to games, so clubs are tied in to paying players but can't get access to income. This would depend on the conditions of how lockdown was withdrawn, but I can see this being a real possibility.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Why are Raith bothered about being champions?

I get the promotion thing. I'm in favour of 2 up / 0 down as well but what's the point in naming champions.

It gives no practical or monetary advantage. You'll never get a championship winning game or get to watch the team lift the trophy and nobody will consider it a real championship.

I'd be practical, accept the promotion if it's on the table and don't make being named champions as a red line.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I get the promotion thing. I'm in favour of 2 up / 0 down as well but what's the point in naming champions.

That's also my preference but the amount of folk having sly digs at my club when their own club would do exactly as the Rovers have done is pushing me towards wanting to be announced as champs for the meltdowns. 

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

It gives no practical or monetary advantage. You'll never get a championship winning game or get to watch the team lift the trophy and nobody will consider it a real championship.

I'd be practical, accept the promotion if it's on the table and don't make being named champions as a red line.

There’s plenty of money to be made. Yes no championship winning game this year, but still a chance to sell merch and have photos with the trophy and probably the most important aspect financially would be being able to have flag day on the opening day of next season(tho it doesn’t sound as appealing in early winter). These will all boost the coffers, even if not as much as a normal title win.  As for it not being counted as a ‘real’ title, they don’t care, it’s to sell to their own fans, not opposition.