The SPFL recommendation?

Still thinking the promote two and relegate none is the fairest solution with extra relegation to reset the leagues next season, yes it’s unfair on 3/4th but a line has to be drawn and no team outside the top spots and Falkirk was realistically going to win the leagues guaranteeing promotion and it gives them a great chance of promotion next season. Declare champions? I’d let Celtic and Rangers argue that one and then the other leagues follow their decision, not sure any of the others will be that bothered about the trophy over promotion.

Null and Void is unfair on teams in promotion spots who’ve played 3/4 of a season and we also have potential minefield with TV companies and other sponsors wanting their money back I expect Dundee Utd and Cove have spent big to guarantee promotion as well could null and void put them in financial trouble?.

Finish as is promote 1 relegate 1 sounds great to RRFC but it’s extremely harsh on the teams in the relegation spot and also Falkirk.

I like the idea of using this as an opportunity to reconstruct the leagues but let’s be honest the SPFL doing it at this short notice would make a pigs ear of it.

I think the 2 up no relegation with expanded leagues for 1 season would get voted through and it would also allow HL/LL to promote their champions meaning promotion right down the pyramid.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

But your argument is that teams currently deserve promotion and relegation. I am just putting your argument to bed.

No you aren’t, you are cherry picking a few examples that confirm that my not totally fair way of concluding things isn’t totally fair, but I’ve already conceded that it isn’t totally fair, just that it’s fairer than your not totally fair way of concluding things as it looks at a tangible form guide called the league table rather than relying on the leap of faith that an evidentially shit team were really really just about to become not shit. The teams being suggested for promotion and relegation weren’t picked out of a hat

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

But the alternative is not null and void, I just gave you 1 and Ann Budge claims the SPFL has 6 but only presented 1.

fair enough,

time will tell.

3 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

No you aren’t, you are cherry picking a few examples that confirm that my not totally fair way of concluding things isn’t totally fair, but I’ve already conceded that it isn’t totally fair, just that it’s fairer than your not totally fair way of concluding things as it looks at a tangible form guide called the league table rather than relying on the leap of faith that an evidentially shit team were really really just about to become not shit. The teams being suggested for promotion and relegation weren’t picked out of a hat

You said teams deserve promotion and relegation as they stand, they don't.

6 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

If the alternative is null in void i can

In the premier only one club gives a damn about null and void and that's Celtic. Hearts would welcome null and void and most other clubs would care to some degree or another about the dilution of funding in a bigger league.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

You said teams deserve promotion and relegation as they stand, they don't.

I’m not suggesting that we incorporate a rule going forward that we play some sort of musical chairs where the league table stands on a random Saturday when the music stops but given this unprecedented situation I see no distinction between choosing Stranraer or Cove to be in league 1 next season and my preference would be Cove on the actual evidence presented to me over the previous 8 or so months. Relegating Stranraer will be unfair but letting them stay up at Cove’s expense on the basis that Arsenal caught Man U 20 years ago, St Mirren came back once and Stranraer had a few players coming back from injury is, in my opinion, also unfair.

Guest SJP79
3 minutes ago, renton said:

In the premier only one club gives a damn about null and void and that's Celtic. Hearts would welcome null and void and most other clubs would care to some degree or another about the dilution of funding in a bigger league.

Live within your means and funding is not an issue, were talking about a 100k a season difference

44 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

How about we promote and relegate in situations where the top team form the league below has a greater points advantage over 2nd place than the points disadvantage of the 10th placed team has over 9th place.

Dundee Utd up / Hearts down because 14 > 4

Raith and Partick stay where they are because 1 < 2

Cove up / Stranraer down because 13 > 8

Edit:

Wait, that's dumb. Clubs are getting rewarded for big for being far behind second bottom in that scenario.

If (top team's points gap / bottom team's points gap) > 1, then have promotion and relegation.

Edited by Gordon EF

9 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

How about we promote and relegate in situations where the top team form the league below has a greater points advantage over 2nd place than the points disadvantage of the 10th placed team has over 9th place.

Dundee Utd up / Hearts down because 14 > 4

Raith and Partick stay where they are because 1 < 2

Cove up / Stranraer down because 13 > 8

Would probably be the fairest outcome but no chance it would go through! Also controversial but how about null and void but handicapping the race based on current points, so Stranraer start 8 behind Forfar, etc

Or null and void but revert to summer 19 management so Falkirk have to have Ray McKinnon in charge for the first however many games!

Edited by ribzanelli

8 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

Would probably be the fairest outcome but no chance it would go through! Also controversial but how about null and void but handicapping the race based on current points, so Stranraer start 8 behind Forfar, etc

Or null and void but revert to summer 19 management so Falkirk have to have Ray McKinnon in charge for the first however many games!

Yeah, I thought about something like that. If we "null and void" promotion etc, give everyone some points handicap based on current points totals. Stranraer start on 0, everyone else starts on the points difference between them and Stranraer / 2 or something.

58 minutes ago, kvz2000 said:

Absolute rubbish , the vote itself has no credibility as only one option put forward with a cash now incentive to vote yes , time will show what a farce the SPFL handling has been and some will lose their jobs .... if you do get awarded the title it will always be classes as a tainted title and not a true championship win ..... why why why are you all only looking at the one option ie ending the season early 

Because the season will not be extended. Football on hold until 10th June at the earliest. Player contracts end on 9th June. Tell me how many players do you have signed after the 9th June. Not many I bet and if we are talking about fairness then this season has to be concluded with the players we currently have not new signings. 

I'm glad your team are so cash rich that you dont need the cash now, maybe if you have so much cash you could sort that bog of a pitch out.

Finally if you want to complete a season that cant be completed by playing on the park then replicate the results from the 2nd quarter of the season. Then complete the 36 games add up the total points and that your final league position. 

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

Because the season will not be extended. Football on hold until 10th June at the earliest. Player contracts end on 9th June. Tell me how many players do you have signed after the 9th June. Not many I bet and if we are talking about fairness then this season has to be concluded with the players we currently have not new signings. 

I'm glad your team are so cash rich that you dont need the cash now, maybe if you have so much cash you could sort that bog of a pitch out.

Finally if you want to complete a season that cant be completed by playing on the park then replicate the results from the 2nd quarter of the season. Then complete the 36 games add up the total points and that your final league position. 

I'm not going to argue the right or wrongs about the situation but what happens to the players of clubs are still furloughing them after June 9th? I'm presuming if they moved to a new club the club would have to pay 100% of that players wage?

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Still thinking the promote two and relegate none is the fairest solution with extra relegation to reset the leagues next season, yes it’s unfair on 3/4th but a line has to be drawn and no team outside the top spots and Falkirk was realistically going to win the leagues guaranteeing promotion and it gives them a great chance of promotion next season. Declare champions? I’d let Celtic and Rangers argue that one and then the other leagues follow their decision, not sure any of the others will be that bothered about the trophy over promotion.

Null and Void is unfair on teams in promotion spots who’ve played 3/4 of a season and we also have potential minefield with TV companies and other sponsors wanting their money back I expect Dundee Utd and Cove have spent big to guarantee promotion as well could null and void put them in financial trouble?.

Finish as is promote 1 relegate 1 sounds great to RRFC but it’s extremely harsh on the teams in the relegation spot and also Falkirk.

I like the idea of using this as an opportunity to reconstruct the leagues but let’s be honest the SPFL doing it at this short notice would make a pigs ear of it.

I think the 2 up no relegation with expanded leagues for 1 season would get voted through and it would also allow HL/LL to promote their champions meaning promotion right down the pyramid.

The first line sums it up perfectly and it’s the fairest way to do it

Still thinking the promote two and relegate none is the fairest solution with extra relegation to reset the leagues next season, yes it’s unfair on 3/4th but a line has to be drawn and no team outside the top spots and Falkirk was realistically going to win the leagues guaranteeing promotion

You’re only 5 points ahead of 3rd place. Whilst I’m not suggesting Airdrie would go on to win the league I think you’ve forgotten that Raith aren’t the Brazilian team of 1970.

but that's just my opinion.

And you are entitled to have it as is Jim Duffy.
He is a part time football manager and works part time in the media. The club knew/ know this and I’m sure they are happy for him to express his opinion as long as he doesn’t say anything that would harm or bring the club into disrepute. From my knowledge of him not likely.
One thing for sure, given his vast football experience as a player,manager and pundit I would rather listen to his opinion than the nonsense spouted by others e.g. Sportsound yesterday. One exception being Roy MacGregor who was a breathe of fresh air with a rational balanced view in where we are and what’s needed.

It should never have been put to clubs. This is the SPFL trying to shift the blame and escape any repercussions. They're using the promise of prize money as a bribe.

There's no good outcome in all of this. Rangers aren't realistically catching Celtic and nobody is catching Dundee United. I doubt that Edinburgh City were catching Cove. But Raith weren't home and hosed - League 1 was still a proper title race. Hearts weren't guaranteed to go down. Neither were Thistle. Forfar might fancy their chances of 8th instead of 9th. Queen of the South are 3 points behind 8th. There's absolutely no way that the SPFL can justify calling the season now and deciding promotion and relegation when there was still strong chances that final league positions would be different.

The SPFL know this. What they want is to put the responsibility onto clubs because when the final decision is made and the inevitable shit show kicks off, the league can say that this is what clubs themselves voted for. It's an absolutely pathetic abdication of responsibility from the SPFL. They want clubs to do the dirty work and take all of the recrimination. The least bad option would be to void the season. Start 20/21 with the same league structure as 19/20, the same teams in each division and the same teams as European representatives. Get money out to clubs to ensure that we actually have 42 teams to start the 20/21 season, whenever that eventually is. Sure you're denying Celtic a title and you're forcing Dundee United and Cove to spend another year in the 2nd and 4th tiers respectively, but that's no worse an outcome than forcing relegation on Hearts and Thistle or denying Falkirk a proper shot at promotion. It's no worse than forcing play-offs on Forfar and Queen of the South.

When this is all over and whatever utter madness will come in the fallout - and there will be absolute chaos regardless of what decision is eventually made - the one thing that should unite all clubs is how utterly shameful the SPFL have acted. To use vital funding as some kind of bribe to con football clubs into doing the SPFL's job and accepting all of the blame is little short of criminal. The SPFL management just are not fit for purpose. They're rotten to their core and Scottish football really does need far better administrators running the game.

12 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

And you are entitled to have it as is Jim Duffy.
He is a part time football manager and works part time in the media. The club knew/ know this and I’m sure they are happy for him to express his opinion as long as he doesn’t say anything that would harm or bring the club into disrepute. From my knowledge of him not likely.
One thing for sure, given his vast football experience as a player,manager and pundit I would rather listen to his opinion than the nonsense spouted by others e.g. Sportsound yesterday. One exception being Roy MacGregor who was a breathe of fresh air with a rational balanced view in where we are and what’s needed.

Roy Macgregor.🤣🤣🤣 mr I trust the SPFL board. Come on.