Jump to content

Vote on Curtailment of the season


Recommended Posts

The season should be finished. It is only early April and any lengthy continuation of this partial lockdown will bankrupt the country. There are already murmurings re how the lockdown can be relaxed, here and in other countries. The lockdown was introduced to help the NHS from being overrun in the short term. Not for any other reason. 

Is this not more to do with Doncaster panicking because they have some fancy new TV deal in place for the start of next season and they don't want anything to jeopardise it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Div2 Increase to 18 teams with Brora Kelty Bonnyrigg joining the extended Div 1. Play 34 no split. 1st Promoted, 2nd 3rd Playoffs. 17th 18th relegated, 16th Playoffs. Season 2021/22 18 Teams. 

Why would LL get two teams promoted and the HL only one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Why would LL get two teams promoted and the HL only one? 

I was only selecting teams who were clearly going to win something, and in the case of HL LL there was only these three. Yes unfortunately those that wouldn’t have won a league but might have been a playoff hopeful aren’t being rewarded. Anyway i doubt it happen, but I think there will be an expansion to some leagues for next season, whenever that will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

After today’s response from Clubs, I’m convinced the lunatics have actually taken over the asylum.

Rather than any attempt at consensus, it’s all out war from those with vested interests and I’m sure we will see the demise of some Clubs now.

 

 

That's the way it has been and will always be .  No shock there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PELE said:

The season should be finished. It is only early April and any lengthy continuation of this partial lockdown will bankrupt the country. There are already murmurings re how the lockdown can be relaxed, here and in other countries. The lockdown was introduced to help the NHS from being overrun in the short term. Not for any other reason. 

Is this not more to do with Doncaster panicking because they have some fancy new TV deal in place for the start of next season and they don't want anything to jeopardise it.

I agree with him. 
why f**k up next season as well as this one and lose vital revenue.

according to STV, it looks like the championship clubs will decide on this proposal. Premier and lower leagues look like getting 75%. Championship clubs split down the middle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is the only sensible solution on the table.

We can't null and void the season as that means clubs and the SPFL would be open to law suits to repay money. Why screw up next season and the sponsorship in place if you can potentially get back on track.

I believe my team Queen's Park would have made the play-offs and would have had a great chance of winning them. Unfortunately there is no time or possibility of playing these. Time to put the good of football as a whole before my Club. We start next season in League 2. Let's win it!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PELE said:

The season should be finished. It is only early April and any lengthy continuation of this partial lockdown will bankrupt the country. There are already murmurings re how the lockdown can be relaxed, here and in other countries. The lockdown was introduced to help the NHS from being overrun in the short term. Not for any other reason. 

Is this not more to do with Doncaster panicking because they have some fancy new TV deal in place for the start of next season and they don't want anything to jeopardise it.

Okay finish the season but what are you going to do about the players who are out of contract in either May or June?  To maintain sporting integrity, if you want to conclude the season, then surely clubs would be forced or obliged to retain the same squad as they have at the moment.  Would it be fair for a club to bring in a new squad to play the remaining games in July or August?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Okay finish the season but what are you going to do about the players who are out of contract in either May or June?  To maintain sporting integrity, if you want to conclude the season, then surely clubs would be forced or obliged to retain the same squad as they have at the moment.  Would it be fair for a club to bring in a new squad to play the remaining games in July or August?

Clubs cannot be forced to retain any player beyond the expiry of their contract and players likewise are free agents once their contract expires

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Clubs cannot be forced to retain any player beyond the expiry of their contract and players likewise are free agents once their contract expires

Yes I know that but would it be fair if, just for arguments sake, Brechin released all their squad and spent heavily on a far superior squad to play out the remaining games and in doing so get out of the relegation spot to the detriment of other teams who either retained their squad or were unable to strengthen it.  Or in your case if QP do the same and in doing so relegate you out of the play off spot.  Would you accept that as being fair?

There is no easy answer to this situation - whatever outcome there will be winners and losers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Yes I know that but would it be fair if, just for arguments sake, Brechin released all their squad and spent heavily on a far superior squad to play out the remaining games and in doing so get out of the relegation spot to the detriment of other teams who either retained their squad or were unable to strengthen it.  Or in your case if QP do the same and in doing so relegate you out of the play off spot.  Would you accept that as being fair?

There is no easy answer to this situation - whatever outcome there will be winners and losers.

What is proposed by the SPFL is fair enough - It is spurious to claim there is sporting integrity to complete a season say 6 months after it stopped because so many variables will be different 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Here is how to resolve this.

No Winners No losers. No Champions. No Relegations No Trophies.

Premiership 2020/21 Increase to 13 teams, with Dundee United joining PL. Play 24,  Split 6/7,  Play 10/12.  13th and 12th relegated, 11th Playoffs Season, 2021/22 12 Teams. 

Championship 2020/21 Increase to 14 teams with Raith Falkirk Airdrie Montrose East Fife joining Championship.  Play 26,  Split 7/7, Play 12.  1st Promoted 2nd 3rd Playoffs.  14th and 13th relegated, 12th Playoffs. Season 2021/22 14 Teams

Div1/Div2 Increase to 18 teams with Brora Kelty Bonnyrigg joining the extended Div 1. Play 34 no split. 1st Promoted, 2nd 3rd Playoffs. 17th 18th relegated, 16th Playoffs. Season 2021/22 18 Teams.

No League Cup or Tunnocks Cup 2020/21. 

Free weeks here and there, not a problem.

As I understand it, UEFA have said that calling the leagues *might* result in teams losing out on European football. Reading between the lines, that's the reason for the delay in not calling the Premiership. 

Having no league placings from this season automatically forfeits having  any Scottish teams in Europe next season. You can't have qualification from a season that didn't happen. Aberdeen might feel hard done by with the league positionings with regard to Europe, but it's either that or nothing.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there pretty major financial implications around not calling the leagues. I agree that there needs to be some sort of reconstruction as a compromise for Thistle, Hearts etc. but the major issue here is clubs getting money in their pockets to survive. 

 

Edited by an86
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Okay finish the season but what are you going to do about the players who are out of contract in either May or June?  To maintain sporting integrity, if you want to conclude the season, then surely clubs would be forced or obliged to retain the same squad as they have at the moment.  Would it be fair for a club to bring in a new squad to play the remaining games in July or August?

That is why a decision should be made to end the season now  .Expiring   contracts should be reviewed and wage payments negotiated but given the exceptional circumstances I think any player expecting his contract to be honoured in full would be deemed very selfish and irresponsible.   

I think most clubs will want to be as fair as they can as most employers out there are trying to do with their staff but there are obviously  limitations . 

 

Also it will give clubs plenty of time to negotiate new contracts with players they intend to retain and sign new players who are out of contract elsewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind Cove being declared Champions as City were unlikely to catch them. I'd have liked a chance at the play-offs although there's no guarantee we would have got through them as we've had mixed results against Cowden, QP, Elgin or Stirling this season 

I'll be annoyed at Hearts not going down if there's no reconstruction. What makes them different from Stranraer who are in line to be relegated apart from they're a big club and Stranraer aren't.

Also bagsy no winter trips to Brora. Ta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Clubs cannot be forced to retain any player beyond the expiry of their contract and players likewise are free agents once their contract expires

UEFA have said if the season has to be extended they will allow for the extension of contracts for short term and adjust the transfer window accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Null & Void , is completely unreasonable & the easiest way out for them in charge to decide it, they need to come up with fair solution, their is defnitely no guarantee we will see the play off's next season or even the one after that, the players worked their socks off, to get in this position, hope their is way to handle it fairly now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SuperCowden said:

Null & Void , is completely unreasonable & the easiest way out for them in charge to decide it, they need to come up with fair solution, their is defnitely no guarantee we will see the play off's next season or even the one after that, the players worked their socks off, to get in this position, hope their is way to handle it fairly now

The problem is that folks' views on what is fair is predominantly based on what benefits their team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There sums up Scottish fitba. No decision will please everyone. Somebody has to make a decision, putting in to clubs is the governing body’s way of getting out of making the ultimate decision and every club will be voting with their clubs interest at heart so ending it now will be the decision, as it’s the minority who are losing out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

UEFA have said if the season has to be extended they will allow for the extension of contracts for short term and adjust the transfer window accordingly.

But they can't force players to stay beyond their current contracts.

For me the season has to be curtailed with positions adjudicated; the only question is the how.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No but players can’t go anywhere else till they open a transfer window. I agree that the best thing is to finish the season now but what happens if SPL restart their season and as a consequence are not ready to start the new season at the same time as other leagues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...