Vote on Curtailment of the season

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye , I agree. 

We are hearing about players in the EPL who have indicated that they are not happy to resume playing until they can be assured they will be safe.  That will most likely be the case up here as well , especially if clubs can't guarantee testing as you suggested.   ................Coupled with the fact that there are quite a few  players who don't actually like football and only play because they are good at it and it is a good earner. 

Can’t imagine many players not liking football. I’ve never met one.

If we don't want to call it disliking football we do see a lot of players with premier league teams in their teens, drift down the leagues until they are with league 1 or 2 teams age 21-23 and give up well before age 30 so they do fall out of love with the game. Sit down with a bit of paper and write down all the players to play for your club in the last 5 years. Big number and fair proportion will be out of the game.

Best player at their school, going to be next Lionel messi then suddenly it's training twice a week in depths of winter at run down team.

Edited by true fan

38 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We had a whole squad of them this season. :lol:

Seriously though I have come across quite a few really good players through the years who couldn't give a shit about football , didn't watch it on tv and hated even talking about it .  Big Raymond Allan is one that would surprise you.  Loves his golf but hates fitba. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

We had a whole squad of them this season. :lol:

Seriously though I have come across quite a few really good players through the years who couldn't give a shit about football , didn't watch it on tv and hated even talking about it .  Big Raymond Allan is one that would surprise you.  Loves his golf but hates fitba. 

I've met loads like him, they like playing, not training and have little interest in other teams or leagues. I think supporters like to think we're all the same and love the game, but it's a myth.

I remember reading about Ray Wilkins asking the boys in his Chelsea youth team if they'd watched Barcelona the previous night on the telly. None had.

In terms of two well known names, Steven Thompson says that he doesn't like the game & wouldn' watch it if he wasn't paid to do so - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm - & David Batty was famously a player that didn't have anything to do with the game beyond what he needed to in terms of training & playing. The three amigos were discussing him on MOTD the other week.    

On 16/05/2020 at 22:06, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Aye, everyone in the same league with no relegation.

45 team league (promote Kelty, Brora, and Bonnyrigg).  Each team plays each other once.   Each team gets 22 home matches.  Other than the Old Firm Derby which is at Hampden.  Job done.

6 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

In terms of two well known names, Steven Thompson says that he doesn't like the game & wouldn' watch it if he wasn't paid to do so - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm - & David Batty was famously a player that didn't have anything to do with the game beyond what he needed to in terms of training & playing. The three amigos were discussing him on MOTD the other week.    

Two out of??? And Batty obviously the exception too. Haven’t met either of them.

3 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

45 team league (promote Kelty, Brora, and Bonnyrigg).  Each team plays each other once.   Each team gets 22 home matches.  Other than the Old Firm Derby which is at Hampden.  Job done.

Why Bonnyrigg over a HL team? I'm sure Locos or Fraserburgh had a mathematical chance of winning the league. More Central Belt bias me thinks.

This virus is going nowhere soon. Business, including football, and the general public are going to have to take the risks associated with getting back to as near to normal sooner or later. This thing is possibly going to be here in a year. Do we mark time until then?

Start up in September? Those who aren't comfortable with this, players and fans, can opt out. Sounds tempting to me.

30 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Start up in September? Those who aren't comfortable with this, players and fans, can opt out. Sounds tempting to me.

They can opt out of participating, but they can't opt out of any increase in cases that starting football back too quickly might bring. 

AN86 - bet you a pint that the pubs will be open in Englandshire in September.  

My point is that there is going to be a risk until this thing disappears and it's not going to disappear.   Is it ever going to be 100% safe?  I don't think so   I wonder how safe those on the London trains feel? At some point, we'll need to head out too. And it won't be that safe then either.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

AN86 - bet you a pint that the pubs will be open in Englandshire in September.  

My point is that there is going to be a risk until this thing disappears and it's not going to disappear.   Is it ever going to be 100% safe?  I don't think so   I wonder how safe those on the London trains feel? At some point, we'll need to head out too. And it won't be that safe then either.

They may be, with strict distancing. I think the physical contact aspect of the game is hugely problematic below the top level, if you don't have frequent testing. Basically, everything is a problem until we have a vaccine or treatment. Contact sports will suffer as a result. 

No idea what winter will bring either in terms of a possible spike. So many unknowns. I noticed that a gig at the Hydro in late October has been cancelled. If concerts aren't possible by that point, I have my doubts as to whether we'll be seeing football. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm preparing myself for the long haul when it comes to football. 

On 23/05/2020 at 13:35, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto.  Said he had no passion for the game unless he was having a kickabout with his mates.  Happy to say he played purely for the money.

Gabriele Batistuta said in interview that he didn't like football, it was just his job.  Apparently never talked about the game with his team-mates.  Ended up getting obsessed with polo. 

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The reason we know about these players is that they are very much the exception to the rule. The majority of footballers like football and watch it regularly.

I think you would be surprised at the amount at each club who could take it or leave it .  You are probably right about the majority though. 

That said though , the point being made initially was that the ones who are not so passionate about it might have found some other pursuits before we get back to any kind of football . Especially the ones out of contract . This along with supporters getting out of the habit might see football in Scotland becoming a minority sport.  

On the other hand this break might have the opposite effect and we might have a resurgence in popularity. I very much doubt it but we can always live in hope. 

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto.  Said he had no passion for the game unless he was having a kickabout with his mates.  Happy to say he played purely for the money.

Gabriele Batistuta said in interview that he didn't like football, it was just his job.  Apparently never talked about the game with his team-mates.  Ended up getting obsessed with polo. 

Can’t remember meeting those two so wouldn’t know.