The true derby

Blackie Gold

On 07/04/2020 at 10:08, glensmad said:
On 07/04/2020 at 10:01, Monalie said:
Definitely Arthurlie v Pollok.

It depends what you're looking for I suppose. If it's a "local derby", it has to be Neilston for Arthurlie. Pollok's ground is much closer to Rutherglen than it is to Barrhead.

Newlandsfield is also closer to both New Tinto and McKenna Park than it is to Dunterlie. This Pollok Arthurlie derby thing is a relatively new thing. 

Newlandsfield is also closer to both New Tinto and McKenna Park than it is to Dunterlie. This Pollok Arthurlie derby thing is a relatively new thing. 
I would say the Pollok v Arthurlie rivalry only really got going seriously in the mid to late 1980s when Arthurlie started to regularly challenge for trophies. For example, nobody was billing the 81 Junior Cup final as a derby match.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Brig O said:

I would say the Pollok v Arthurlie rivalry only really got going seriously in the mid to late 1980s when Arthurlie started to regularly challenge for trophies. For example, nobody was billing the 81 Junior Cup final as a derby match.

Correct - I don't remember much rivalry with Pollok prior to the 81 cup final.

Arthurlie v Neilston was always the local derby. 

17 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Correct - I don't remember much rivalry with Pollok prior to the 81 cup final.

Arthurlie v Neilston was always the local derby. 

Agree-when I started watching Lok in the late 70s I think the big derbies would have been Bens or a wider Glasgow derby v Peasy.Arthurlie were a Renfrewshire team who we played from time to time but never saw them as the derby team.It was the late 80s when Arthurlie started to compete well in competitions that we then faced them in bigger ties giving rise to the derby status.That then developed into the big one as tended to draw consistently big crowds and usually with something to play for.Theres no doubt we have missed these games in recent years though.

Agree-when I started watching Lok in the late 70s I think the big derbies would have been Bens or a wider Glasgow derby v Peasy.Arthurlie were a Renfrewshire team who we played from time to time but never saw them as the derby team.It was the late 80s when Arthurlie started to compete well in competitions that we then faced them in bigger ties giving rise to the derby status.That then developed into the big one as tended to draw consistently big crowds and usually with something to play for.Theres no doubt we have missed these games in recent years though.
You should expect Arthurlie to be a much stronger team next season.

On 09/04/2020 at 14:41, glensmad said:
On 09/04/2020 at 14:38, Lokloyal said:

You should expect Arthurlie to be a much stronger team next season.

And yet they’ve released 13 players 🤔,strange one 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, glensmad said:
41 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:
Before 2030 Rutherglen Glencairn will play Clyde in the real local derby. Especially when Clyde start grounding with you guys.

That won't be happening.

They'll not be ground sharing or not playing in the same league? Or both?