The true derby

Blackie Gold

Talbot v Cumnock is classed as the true derby match in our neck of the woods due to the close proximity of the two sides, but what would Glenafton, Lugar, Kello or Muirkirk claim as a derby. I always thought Pollok v Arthurlie was the ultimate derby but I have been told Neilston v Arthurlie is the true derby match. What would you claim was the real derby match for your side?

Definitely Arthurlie v Pollok.

It depends what you're looking for I suppose. If it's a "local derby", it has to be Neilston for Arthurlie. Pollok's ground is much closer to Rutherglen than it is to Barrhead.

I suppose if you're looking for true local derbies in terms of geography rather than between two teams who are necessarily at the same level,at that point in time, you'd need to look back at the old pre-reorganisation sectional groups which were always structured that way...in the old Central Region there were quite a few; Bellshill v Thorniewood, Shettleston v VoC, Greenock v the Port, Bens v Ants, Shire v Ashfield, the four way thing with the Clydesdale clubs and so on.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, Monalie said:

It depends what you're looking for I suppose. If it's a "local derby", it has to be Neilston for Arthurlie. Pollok's ground is much closer to Rutherglen than it is to Barrhead.

'True' derby, not 'local' derby, that's why I went for Pollok v Arthurlie.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:
3 hours ago, Monalie said:

Newlandsfield is also closer to both New Tinto and McKenna Park than it is to Dunterlie. This Pollok Arthurlie derby thing is a relatively new thing.