Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Archie McSquackle

Dundee United v Celtic (1981 Scottish Cup Semi-Final Replay)

Recommended Posts

The BBC Scotland channel is showing this game in its entirety tonight as part of their ongoing series.

For those shocked by the challenges and lack of cards in the 1991 final shown last week, their website has a teaser showing a challenge by Pat Bonner on Billy Kirkwood which he somehow doesn't receive a card for. Wow, just wow!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52127632

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The BBC Scotland channel is showing this game in its entirety tonight as part of their ongoing series.

For those shocked by the challenges and lack of cards in the 1991 final shown last week, their website has a teaser showing a challenge by Pat Bonner on Billy Kirkwood which he somehow doesn't receive a card for. Wow, just wow!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52127632

In fairness, Scott Brown gets away with worse these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love seeing players playing with socks rolled right down and no shin pads.

Especially in that era when naughty tackles were pretty much ten a penny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only extended highlights rather than the whole game but it's been a cracker with some real quality play from both sides. Commentator's pronunciation of Bonner has annoyed me much more than it should though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Commentator's pronunciation of Bonner has annoyed me much more than it should though.

Alistair Alexander was still calling him Boner in the 90s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Alistair Alexander was still calling him Boner in the 90s.

 

He also called McAlpine McCallum at one point of maximum involvement. I also was amazed at the no shins Provan and Bannon since I tended to think of those days as robust. There was some good football on show today . I had not appreciated how Sturrock was but It showed that Murdo McLeod was not a right back. Sad also to see both Tommy Burns and Frank Kopel-both taken too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DAVIDB69

Wasn’t there a tendency to call Hamish Mcalpin rather than Mccalpine with Alexander a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Wasn’t there a tendency to call Hamish Mcalpin rather than Mccalpine with Alexander a lot

I think you remember it accurately. Maybe he was told to stop  free advertising for a famous construction company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...