Summer Football

PRICEY

For me, summer football for amateurs/juniors would be far better, reckon the clubs would get much higher attendances with SPFL leagues finished for the summer break, would definitely go to my local amateur or junior team far more if it was summer football.

On 23/04/2020 at 10:03, ABC123. said:

Is there a normal summer league and if so is there any teams about Ayrshire ?

There's the 5 team summer league on the Isle of Arran, which is technically Ayrshire.

• 6 months later...

100% . It should be looked at now as a serious option but it probably wont!!  Dont see any competitive football at this level now until spring.

Amateur football has been hung out to dry and shown exactly where it ranks in importance by the powers that be, SportsScotland , the SFA and the SG. 

8 hours ago, Redondo said:

100% . It should be looked at now as a serious option but it probably wont!!  Dont see any competitive football at this level now until spring.

Amateur football has been hung out to dry and shown exactly where it ranks in importance by the powers that be, SportsScotland , the SFA and the SG. 

Watched a wosfl stream on Saturday. 

Away team  travelling around 25 miles with 4 backroom staff,11 players on the park plus at least 10 standing on the touchline. Probably at least 2 committee there and the 2 boys doing the camera work.

Not sure if they travelled by coach but if not that's at least 28 cars if they've stuck to the rules.

We've been shafted big time by the authorities to allow 'professional' teams to play.

I don't want to stop the pro teams but it's crap that amateur football is stopped. 

Being an ex player myself, because of the current situation I would have loved to play in the summer - leading into a restart proper for season 21/22 that would see the end of pre-season training for once ! What a thought, the amateurs/grassroots had been playing well around Bristol before the lockdown - just happy to be playing. Hopefully you'll get back asap.

On 18/11/2020 at 21:20, Gazzah said:

Countless times it’s been discussed but never gets any further than this. No brainer for me now start back March for training then into games I’m April two games a week.

How many teams are going to realistically be able to fulfil 2 fixtures a week april-june? Don't think it's as simple as that. Guys work, injuries, family will all get in the way. Not to mention the reliability of some players, if they get a couple of losses, will they bother with coming back twice a week for the privilege. 

Then there's the issue of pitches, it was an issue when it restarted in September and will be an issue when we eventually get going again. Midweek parks are notoriously hard to come by so getting all amateur teams playing midweek isn't going to be that simple. 

I think most leagues will go to 1 game v everyone else in the league to get some sort of season going, or run right thru until August, but again pitches will be an issue doing that unless councils keep the grass open right through.

Read somewhere on P&B that Edinburgh amateurs maybe cancelled until well into 2021, was that right ?  Guess that with the pitch problems I read on here, maybe that's the best thing. Get pre season done and then look to restart for next season ,21/22.  Wonder if any clubs will fold, after having a year off ? Good luck