Summer Football

PRICEY

Its been touched on in another thread,but I thought the subject deserves a thread of its own......

Whats your thoughts on the Amateurs moving to summer football?.

For me something major has to change in the Amateur game,almost every week you hear of  of clubs folding and would imagine quite a few  will  not survive this shutdown.Whats your thoughts?

The problems that exist other than the weather in winter will still plague the amateur game in sumer. Lack of commitment, sponsorship, facilities.  Personally I find astro horrible to play on in the summer weather. They will still cost the same regardless of the season.  The problems will still exist  regardless. When we do return I think a few teams will have fallen by the wayside. We will probably see the teams that are well established and well run survive. We might be surprised when we do get back and find that players now appreciate how fortunate they are to be involved in our great game. 

For me it’s a no brainer. Can play two games a week most of the season which should help
Commitment. Let’s not lie you have a training session or a game on a wed night and we all know what one is getting the numbers. The ability to shift a couple games to Fridays too is appealing. No need for expensive winter training parks either. Better weather which gets more people watching . The last few months setting up parks or even standing at the side while the rain and wind batter down isn’t enjoyable at all for anyone. Then have the games getting called off for frost on morning of game
Wasting everyone’s time.

Sounds good but what about all schools pitches and council pitches that are not available June till August where are most teams playing there games then ?

Council would need to keep
The parks open. At a time they need all the money they Can get through bookings. Lots of the schools are open year round too.

!00% all for summer football, it is a no brainer, all our biggest crowds and most other teams are when it is sunny, or warm. Where there is a will, there is a way, anything can be changed. Over the season we will all have players on holiday, working etc,  same for every team, games on nice green grass parks, 2 games guaranteed on, unless there was unnatural, and unprecedented freaky weather. We could even set the full fixtures list, for the full season at the start, so we know who we get every week in advance, I would vote for it tomorrow.

Without repeating every one else but it's also a no brainer for me as well. This unprecedented crisis also gives us the perfect opportunity to give it a whirl. The interest on and off the park during the lighter nights and better weather will be night and day by comparison to the way it is at the moment. Crowds are at an all time low and its purely because of the conditions. Seeing 90% of matches played on grass has to be a good thing too. Not just because that's where the game should be played but also the money it will save clubs will be welcomed massively. Player interest will double overnight and I think it could save the amateur game which I'm sure we will agree has been on its arse for a couple of seasons now 

I'm clearly in the minority but regardless of my opinion. Its hardly un natural or unprecedented. It took the Lee's 3/4 attempted to play the first game of the season this season. That's when everyone elses games were on. Was that down to unnatural weather or more than likely the early season squad we had available? The weather isn't gona solve Amateur problems. Far from it. Yes more people may want to watch the games but going by the vast majority of seasons teams are weaker on the park May - September.

!00% all for summer football, it is a no brainer, all our biggest crowds and most other teams are when it is sunny, or warm. Where there is a will, there is a way, anything can be changed. Over the season we will all have players on holiday, working etc,  same for every team, games on nice green grass parks, 2 games guaranteed on, unless there was unnatural, and unprecedented freaky weather. We could even set the full fixtures list, for the full season at the start, so we know who we get every week in advance, I would vote for it tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

I'm clearly in the minority but regardless of my opinion. Its hardly un natural or unprecedented. It took the Lee's 3/4 attempted to play the first game of the season this season. That's when everyone elses games were on. Was that down to unnatural weather or more than likely the early season squad we had available? The weather isn't gona solve Amateur problems. Far from it. Yes more people may want to watch the games but going by the vast majority of seasons teams are weaker on the park May - September.

I'm my experience our squad is weaker in the winter. Boys waking up in the morning and saying f**k playing in that. Yes holidays will play a part in summer football of course but imo the positives outweigh the negatives 

Council would need to keep
The parks open. At a time they need all the money they Can get through bookings. Lots of the schools are open year round too.
Lots of the schools with pitches aren't owned/managed by the council though? The grass pitches would still be taking a beating if getting played on twice a week continuously for 6 months and the inability to do any maintenance on them in winter months means they would be unavailable at the start of the following season.

Sent from my J8210 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Lots of the schools with pitches aren't owned/managed by the council though? The grass pitches would still be taking a beating if getting played on twice a week continuously for 6 months and the inability to do any maintenance on them in winter months means they would be unavailable at the start of the following season.

Sent from my J8210 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Yes the schools we use are not owned by the council and are open all year round. As for the pitches the amount of maintenance done on them mid season is null they let it grown and then cut.Of course will be a bit of wear and
Tear involved but be fine by the time the season starts. Similar to the pitches just now that havnt been used since start of December.

I can honestly say iv never heard of a player not playing due to weather. If u have players like that u really need shot of them. I know thats a common training excuses but surely not a game. This generation of players are already pampered enough now we are tslling about restructuring over 100 years of football to accommodate it.

I'm my experience our squad is weaker in the winter. Boys waking up in the morning and saying f**k playing in that. Yes holidays will play a part in summer football of course but imo the positives outweigh the negatives 

19 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

I can honestly say iv never heard of a player not playing due to weather. If u have players like that u really need shot of them. I know thats a common training excuses but surely not a game. This generation of players are already pampered enough now we are tslling about restructuring over 100 years of football to accommodate it.

It's not so much pampering but trying to get the most enjoyment out the game for players and everyone that is involved. Which is why we are involved at amatuer level for the love of the game. I agree with you if you have players that toss it off because of weather then they players probably aren't worth the hassle. I would be turning up whatever the weather but I would prefer to play in summer.

3 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Restructuring 100 years of football to ensure we have another 100 years. 
I would live to see it before my playing days come to an end, It’ll never happen tho, because the dinosaurs at the SAFA and attitudes like your own. 

16 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Without players you dont have a game. Simple. I agree they are pampered but even in the professional game players have it all their own way. Like it or loathe it this is the way football is currently. Summer football would increase interest on and off the park massively, I dont really think theres any doubt about that. Sure clubs might find themselves missing a player or two july/august time but that's the only slight negative I can see

I actually believe the current co vid situation could present an opportunity. 

Once the current crisis ends the current season should be played to a conclusion, the leagues could start again next March and play through the summer.  I’ve been playing football in its current format for the past 17 years and can say the thought of playing a game in the wind and rain on an Astro doesn’t excite me.