Scotland on YouTube

Since being furloughed, I’ve been trawling through some of our Scotland games from days gone by. When you see some of the names of players we produced, wow. The King, Jinky, Harvey, wee billy bremner, Souness etal. Makes you proud. Sorry if this offends. When you compare and contrast with what we have today. How far this country has regressed is beyond depressing

Stick some links in the OP and you'd have a winner of a thread, especially since we're all bored out of our collective gourd.

I'll kick it off with (presumably) the man you are referring to as 'The King'.

802570308_Screenshot_2020-04-03KennyDalglishKingKennyBestGoals.png.8bf758a5cac1b02ad111a5ef4886a856.png

🤩 NOW... That's what I call world class.

Edited by IggyStooge

Stick some links in the OP and you'd have a winner of a thread, especially since we're all bored out of our collective gourd.
I'll kick it off with (presumably) the man you are referring to as 'The King'.
802570308_Screenshot_2020-04-03KennyDalglishKingKennyBestGoals.png.8bf758a5cac1b02ad111a5ef4886a856.png
🤩 NOW... That's what I call world class.

The very man, couldn’t run. But was always in the right place at the right time. Could pick out a pass from anywhere in the field.

You couldn’t blame the Country for feeling confident in the upcoming World Cup. To destroy a brilliant Czech team was brilliant. Jordan’s powerfully headed first goal gave the team confidence

13 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

First time I've seen this one.  Some thoughts:

- England must have been raging to have created that many chances and not scored.

- That Wembley pitch is an absolute tattie field.

- When did the Saltire overtake the Lion Rampart as the flag of choice for Scotland fans?

- That ball from Provan to Archibald was a thing of beauty. 

47 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

First time I've seen this one.  Some thoughts:

- England must have been raging to have created that many chances and not scored.

- That Wembley pitch is an absolute tattie field.

- When did the Saltire overtake the Lion Rampart as the flag of choice for Scotland fans?

- That ball from Provan to Archibald was a thing of beauty. 

Enjoyed watching that again for several reasons. Scotland won. I was there. It was my second visit to Wembley 1967 being the other. I think/hope my memory is correct that it was the " ban us from Wembley" song and the banner "Hello Mr Croker we are here" occasion, after the 1977 goalposts situation. We got tickets via a contact at Luton Town and were able to mingle quite easily, as very few England fans bought tickets. The Lion Rampant was the flag of choice in those days indeed.  And to see Steve Archibald in a positive light was quite good.

I watched the highlights of the 2007 Italy final game qualifier. I knew I shouldn’t have. I’d forgotten a couple of things;

How close Hutton’s header in the first half was

How bad a miss McFadden’s was

How ridiculous a decision is was for the free kick that led to the Italy winner

In fact that whole game was singularly the worst refereeing performance I think I have ever seen.  Wasn’t all against us but just completely inept and the guy came across as an arrogant arsehole.

I watched the highlights of the 2007 Italy final game qualifier. I knew I shouldn’t have. I’d forgotten a couple of things;
How close Hutton’s header in the first half was
How bad a miss McFadden’s was
How ridiculous a decision is was for the free kick that led to the Italy winner

In fact that whole game was singularly the worst refereeing performance I think I have ever seen.  Wasn’t all against us but just completely inept and the guy came across as an arrogant arsehole.

I was raging about that for years

I was raging about that for years
I was proper dejected for ages after that game too. Before kickoff was the most hyped-up atmosphere I've ever seen - Glasgow absolutely crackling with tension. Sadly, I thought we would continue on an upwards trajectory on the following campaign. Instead, we followed the George Burley trajectory straight off a cliff edge [emoji46]

The only highlight of a dismal campaign
This was on a world cup highlights show on BBC 1 yesterday afternoon.

Another game shown with a Scotland connection was Denmark 6 Uruguay 1 from Mexico 86. Uruguay suffered a red card in the first half and the Danes ran them absolutely ragged.
It makes our inability to even fluke a 1-0 win against Uruguay in even more favourable circumstances in the next round of matches all the worse. Just classic Scotland.

On 03/04/2020 at 08:59, baillieinleeds said:

Since being furloughed, I’ve been trawling through some of our Scotland games from days gone by. When you see some of the names of players we produced, wow. The King, Jinky, Harvey, wee billy bremner, Souness etal. Makes you proud. Sorry if this offends. When you compare and contrast with what we have today. How far this country has regressed is beyond depressing

It's not offensive at all, it's a fair point.

There's so many reasons as to why we have slipped further and further down. 

Kids having other things to do besides football.

Parents not wanting their kids to play football.

Lack of decent facilities, compared to some not all countries.

Our countries alcohol and drug issues.

Obesity 

And I'm sure many more fair points.

But you have to consider as we're maybe getting worse are other countries improving. I think it's fair to say yes, alot of other national teams have improved dramatically. All of the smaller nations have improved on their technique, fitness and organisation. So our decline is made to look worse.

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

This was on a world cup highlights show on BBC 1 yesterday afternoon.

Another game shown with a Scotland connection was Denmark 6 Uruguay 1 from Mexico 86. Uruguay suffered a red card in the first half and the Danes ran them absolutely ragged.
It makes our inability to even fluke a 1-0 win against Uruguay in even more favourable circumstances in the next round of matches all the worse. Just classic Scotland.

Thanks for the heads-up; I will need to look this up.

To be fair, that Danish team were (Red and White) Dynamite... Also, with regards to Uruguay, any team with The Prince (Francescoli) in their ranks can't be classed as complete diddies. El Diego and his men did indeed fluke a 1-0 win against them in the next round.

I wonder what could have been if Scotland had progressed and met Argentina instead... Or maybe I don't want to know.