Scotland on YouTube

On 04/04/2020 at 08:47, baillieinleeds said:

You couldn’t blame the Country for feeling confident in the upcoming World Cup. To destroy a brilliant Czech team was brilliant. Jordan’s powerfully headed first goal gave the team confidence

The South American friendlies tour was not a disaster !

We beat Chile 4 - 2 ( iirc )  , robbed in a 1 - 1 draw by Argentina !!! , lost to Brazil

On 03/04/2020 at 16:01, IggyStooge said:

Stick some links in the OP and you'd have a winner of a thread, especially since we're all bored out of our collective gourd.

I'll kick it off with (presumably) the man you are referring to as 'The King'.

802570308_Screenshot_2020-04-03KennyDalglishKingKennyBestGoals.png.8bf758a5cac1b02ad111a5ef4886a856.png

🤩 NOW... That's what I call world class.

LAWMAN !!!

Jim Baxter - never mind 1967

1963 his first goal against

Gordon Banks

1965   created Greig's      

goal against Italy

On 23/04/2020 at 10:02, baillieinleeds said:

This was a great squad. It’s disgusting how we went from world class to nothing more than piss poor

That squad was not at all appreciated, because they were a big step down on what we'd had within the previous 5-10 years. Dalglish, Souness, Miller, Narey, Hansen, McGrain, Strachan, John Wark, John Robertson, Joe Jordan, Steve Archibald, Paul Sturrock... it just went on and on. This team had just failed to get out of their World Cup group and lost to Costa Rica, which is why only 12,000 turned up (including a 15 year old me). Even though they went further than any Scotland team ever before - qualifying for the Euros meant we made the last 8 of a tournament, and we finished a very creditable 3rd in the group - they didn't get the same respect as the teams of the 1980s.

Thanks for posting this, because it confirms that a childhood memory I had was true. I'd remembered Tom Boyd catching Hagi out, tearing down the wing and putting in the ball that led to the goal. As time went on I doubted that memory - why would Tom Boyd be on the right, against Hagi on their left? But here he is, almost exactly as I remembered.

Great times. Maybe we'll beat Serbia and create some more.

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That squad was not at all appreciated, because they were a big step down on what we'd had within the previous 5-10 years. Dalglish, Souness, Miller, Narey, Hansen, McGrain, Strachan, John Wark, John Robertson, Joe Jordan, Steve Archibald, Paul Sturrock... it just went on and on. This team had just failed to get out of their World Cup group and lost to Costa Rica, which is why only 12,000 turned up (including a 15 year old me). Even though they went further than any Scotland team ever before - qualifying for the Euros meant we made the last 8 of a tournament, and we finished a very creditable 3rd in the group - they didn't get the same respect as the teams of the 1980s.

Thanks for posting this, because it confirms that a childhood memory I had was true. I'd remembered Tom Boyd catching Hagi out, tearing down the wing and putting in the ball that led to the goal. As time went on I doubted that memory - why would Tom Boyd be on the right, against Hagi on their left? But here he is, almost exactly as I remembered.

Great times. Maybe we'll beat Serbia and create some more.

We did have McCoist and M#J# ( for a while ) up front

Paul McStay in midfield with John Collins ,  Gary MacAlister , Murdo ( playing in Germany made me a better player ) McLeod

Edited by ewan14

6 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

We did have McCoist and M#J# ( for a while ) up front

Paul McStay in midfield with John Collins ,  Gary MacAlister , Murdo ( playing in Germany made me a better player ) McLeod

Sure, but Daglish, Souness, Hansen and Robertson were multiple European Cup winners. As good as McCoist and Mo Johnston were, I don't think they were on that level.

Paul McStay achieved nothing beyond Scottish football. John Collins had a good stint in Monaco but wasted his potential by moving to Celtic. Murdo McLeod was 32 by the time of this game and the fact he only won 20 caps tells you about his competition. Gary McAllister was a cracking player but a step down on his predecessors. One of the English league's top scorers, Graeme Sharp, could barely get in the Scotland squad and Hansen and Archibald weren't in the initial squad for 1986.

The only position where we arguably got stronger was in goals.

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Sure, but Daglish, Souness, Hansen and Robertson were multiple European Cup winners. As good as McCoist and Mo Johnston were, I don't think they were on that level.

Paul McStay achieved nothing beyond Scottish football. John Collins had a good stint in Monaco but wasted his potential by moving to Celtic. Murdo McLeod was 32 by the time of this game and the fact he only won 20 caps tells you about his competition. Gary McAllister was a cracking player but a step down on his predecessors. One of the English league's top scorers, Graeme Sharp, could barely get in the Scotland squad and Hansen and Archibald weren't in the initial squad for 1986.

The only position where we arguably got stronger was in goals.

McStay was good for the national team though

Sharp was overrated !

Goram definitely improved the team

( Brian Irvine played in the 2 - 1 victory over Romania )

Edited by ewan14