Ordinary team - Great achievement

sjc

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

They did manage to lose home and away to the Faroe Islands in the 2014 Euro Qualifiers

Edit: beaten to it by @GordonS

Incredible to think that the manager for their defeat at home to the Faroes, just 18 months later, went on to lead possibly the most unlikely ever winners of the English Premier League. 

On 30/03/2020 at 13:24, Lurkst said:

Notts Forest in the late 70s for me, with one or two exceptions a fairly ordinary squad but with an extraordinary management team.

Admittedly I wasn't around for it, but it must have made that extraordinary management's team job allot easier when they could go out and break transfer records? 

14 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Wimbledon winning the FA Cup in 1988. They were shit.

They may not be the team that many have fond memories of but they weren't exactly shit.  They finished 7th in the old First Division the season  they won the cup and 6th the season before.  Obviously they were far inferior to the Liverpool team they beat, who were one of the best teams in Europe at the time.

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Admittedly I wasn't around for it, but it must have made that extraordinary management's team job allot easier when they could go out and break transfer records? 

True, but they had already won the league by then.

On 31/03/2020 at 14:18, GordonS said:

Incredible to think that the manager for their defeat at home to the Faroes, just 18 months later, went on to lead possibly the most unlikely ever winners of the English Premier League. 

I remember saying at the time that it was a laughably bad appointment and that they would go down that season...

12 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

I remember saying at the time that it was a laughably bad appointment and that they would go down that season...

Weren't they favourites to finish 20th? You were in good company. It was lightning-in-a-bottle stuff, the perfect coming together of people and circumstances that nobody could have foreseen. And to think it's entirely possible none of it would have happened in Nigel Pearson's son hadn't been in a racist sex tape...

N'golo Kante's career:

2013-14 - at the age of 24 he's promoted to Ligue 1 with Caen, just making the final promotion slot. 

2014-15 - finishes 13th in Ligue 1.

2015-16 - Premier League Champion; gets first cap at the age of 26, makes first competitive start for France at Euro 2016, get's a runners-up medal.

2016-17 - Premier League Champion; FA Cup runner-up

2017-18 - World Cup winner, FA Cup winner

So that went alright...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JTS98
On 01/04/2020 at 02:51, senorsoupe said:

Wigan 2013 FA Cup winners anybody?

Nah.

They won a cup  that most teams at the top end don't care about. They rested 9 players themselves for their first game.

They limped past lower league opposition in every round except the quarters and won the final against a Man City team that was in conflict with its coach and had a player sent off.

I don't think it's up there with fitba's great achievements.

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Nah.

They won a cup  that most teams at the top end don't care about. They rested 9 players themselves for their first game.

They limped past lower league opposition in every round except the quarters and won the final against a Man City team that was in conflict with its coach and had a player sent off.

I don't think it's up there with fitba's great achievements.

What about Hearts winning the league in 85?

Guest JTS98
19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What about Hearts winning the league in 85?

This is a pretty bizarre post. One more than one level.

Herfogle in 1999/2000.

A diddy club from a suburb of a subub that somehow won the Danish league. Their best player was a thirty-five year old John Jensen and the following season they were relegated.

In 2009 they merged with Koge (after an aborted attempt in 2007). I used to live near Herfogle and went to see them a few times in the Danish second tier (though I was a Naestved fan), there were rarely more than 350 folk at the games.

Any other clubs relegated the season after becoming national champions?

Mourinho's 2010 Inter team had very good players, but I don't think anyone other than peak Mourinho could have won the CL with that squad. Only Sneijder got in the top 10 of the Ballon d'Or that season. Milito didn't even get in the top 25, which was a travesty.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Herfogle in 1999/2000.

A diddy club from a suburb of a subub that somehow won the Danish league. Their best player was a thirty-five year old John Jensen and the following season they were relegated.

In 2009 they merged with Koge (after an aborted attempt in 2007). I used to live near Herfogle and went to see them a few times in the Danish second tier (though I was a Naestved fan), there were rarely more than 350 folk at the games.

Any other clubs relegated the season after becoming national champions?

Manchester City