Favourite Non-football football songs.

So there are songs which I will forever associate with football regardless of the songwriter's original intention. I want to hear your favourite songs which have a footballing association for you. I want to hear also a wee explanation of the link (as long or as short as you please, most of us have time on our hands).

Italia 90. In footballing terms it won't be regarded as a classic. many of the knockout games were decided by penalty shootout and a highly functional (and dull as f**k) German team lifted the trophy after defender Andy Brehme scored from the spot. It remains the most potent and vivid childhood memory and the year I came of age as a football fan. Warming up for the tournament my mum got me the sticker album which, for me, remains a gold standard in sticker albums. Seeing all the teams, the different faces from all over the world (I grew up in EK which wasn't exactly diverse) and the different types of names (the Korean fellas with their three names and the Egypt team with 5 players called Mubarak) really fired my imagination and I fell head over heels in love with football.

This song was used as the theme song and the TV highlights program would run some action replays at the end of the show to Pav belting out "All'alba vincero!!" and I still see Leighton spilling the ball at Muller's feet when I hear this 30 years later. 

I'm very much a classical music fan and love the opera, but for me this isn't an opera song about a prince confident in his ability to win the princess. It's about the agony of watching my team concede a late winner to Brazil, it's about Gazza greetin, it's about Schilacci scoring against Uruguay on a pishing wet night and it's about knowing who Juan Cayasso is.

There is actually a correct answer to this question, and it's this...

My moment of stardom- quite a few folk who aren't even Motherwell supporters told me they saw me in that video. Just be glad you can't actually hear me. My singing is bad enough but my voice went long before the end.

For other songs, I've always been really impressed by Sunshine On Leith and have a nostalgic soft spot for Carnival de Paris.

I'm not a fan of Muse in the slightest but I've got a special place in my heart for Starlight due to its use in Sky's coverage of our Euro 2008 qualifiers. That was my first proper Scotland campaign that I was really invested in, and I was naive enough to genuinely think we might do something.

If I close my eyes I don't have to look at that whiny pointdexter Matt Bellamy and can instead see Lee McCulloch curling one past a Ukrainian goalie.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

On 29/03/2020 at 22:47, Al B said:

There is actually a correct answer to this question, and it's this...

I was going to say that one! It beats mournful pish like Paper Roses or Field of Athenry

There used to be a tradition of playing Frank Sinatra at Tynecastle after a big win and, as tunes to swagger out to go, it's a belter.  

"Thank you for being a friend" by Andrew Gold, better known as the theme from the Golden Girls, frequently get trotted out after a defeat

I didn't like that song to begin with

I choked up at this on the BBC.

M83's - Outro

Loved the song ever since!

Also, still my best day as an Aberdeen fan, and I was a regular through the Fergie years!

I genuinely had to wipe away a few years as I took my seat that day!

Yours

aDONis the big Jessie.

Edited by aDONisSheep

On 30/03/2020 at 03:02, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not a fan of Muse in the slightest but I've got a special place in my heart for Starlight due to its use in Sky's coverage of our Euro 2008 qualifiers. That was my first proper Scotland campaign that I was really invested in, and I was naive enough to genuinely think we might do something.

If I close my eyes I don't have to look at that whiny pointdexter Matt Bellamy and can instead see Lee McCulloch curling one past a Ukrainian goalie.

The soundtrack to many a heartbrraking night, Sky used that for years. Great song!

The tannoy songs at FP were very specific and on the same rotation for about (what felt like) 10 years. I dunno if they are the same these days. I seem to have sub conscientiously blocked them out.

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The tannoy songs at FP were very specific and on the same rotation for about (what felt like) 10 years. I dunno if they are the same these days. I seem to have sub conscientiously blocked them out.

They need to bring back the Queen/Proclaimers mash ups. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

They need to bring back the Queen/Proclaimers mash ups. 

Not before the Hey Ya/We Will Rock You gets an airing!

For me, Sunshine on Leith is the winner in this. 

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

How would anyone know what they play at Fir Park?