Motherwell v Dundee Utd, 1991

Busta Nut

Looking back, I don't grudge the Steelmen too much as it meant a sharing round of trophies away from the usual suspects.

But for a time after the match, years probably, I resented Syme for chopping off Hamish French's effort for another player being offside over 50 yards from goal, yet not noticing anything wrong with Ian Angus' third for 'Well.

It was some game though, think it gave Motherwell their first opportunity at European football.

If this was as live, I would have been in the ground for about an hour by this point - I was nervous as f**k and couldn't do anything else. We were standing in Section J in the covered terracing (probably listening to the Pipe Band)

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Worth sticking up some clips of 'The Road To Hampden'

I was lucky enough to be at every game on that cup run - although the semi final replay and the final are all time classics for 'Well supporters, that Falkirk game was one of the best cup ties I've ever been at. Falkirk brought a brilliant support through and both teams just got fired in - can't remember many better early rounds games since....

Watching some of the earlier rounds waiting for this, the size of the crowd at the Falkirk game and indeed at cappielow for the replay is unbelievable.

Would never see a crowd like that these days.

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Watching some of the earlier rounds waiting for this, the size of the crowd at the Falkirk game and indeed at cappielow for the replay is unbelievable.

One of the first games against Rangers at Fir Park I went to in the late 80's (pre Hillsborough) had 23,000 at it - seems totally mental now....

19 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The official crowd for the Cappielow QF was 5400 which really isn't that big tbh: we got 1000 more when beating Kilmarnock at the 3rd Round stage in 2007.

if a Hampden semi-final was at stake I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least the same size of crowd today.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

But for a time after the match, years probably, I resented Syme for chopping off Hamish French's effort for another player being offside over 50 yards from goal,

rules are rules, (that was the rules then)