Motherwell v Dundee Utd, 1991

Busta Nut

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

They show Hibs vs Rangers but make up for it with the 2002 final Rangers 3-2 Celtic.

Not sure what Celtic win is a "classic" final. Maybe one of the late wins against Aberdeen or Dunfermline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Scottish_Cup_Final

I don't think they will show 2016 because of the pitch invasion. Too much social disorder for social distancing.

55 minutes ago, jock_the_squak said:

That's made my weekend. Just about in tears at the end of that. What a fkin day that was and what a night as well. 

I was OK, then saw a few in the crowd who are no longer with us.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Is that a bit of New Order over the closing credits?

Seemed to be the English credits. I mind at the time the FA cup final was on too. BBC Scotland do their own thing then too?

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Scottish_Cup_Final

I don't think they will show 2016 because of the pitch invasion. Too much social disorder for social distancing.

Bottle job if they don't show it. One of the best finals of recent times with an actual competitive game.

Looked up the 1989 final. That seems more likely to wind up Rangers fans.

Dribble the ball out foryour own throw as the ref looks on and does nothing.

I tried but I still can't get any enjoyment out of that at all. It's a festering wound that will never heal.

On the way home we stopped at Auchterarder for chips. I got a fish supper and was half way through and my pals dad asked if I "had had enough for just now" thinking I was getting to get to take it back in the car I said yes and he took it off me and binned a full fish and half my chips.

Really just topped the day off and I think about that fish a lot. 

Aye, that cock, Jim McInally lost the plot fae memory... That United team wasn't half a team of c***s when you think about it... 

Jim McInally

Dave Bowman 

John Fatarse

Alan Main

Maurice its yer Donald duck

Freddie van der Hoorn

... And last but not least, Darren fucking Jackson... I'd still love to batter his c**t in

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Was there not some boot throwing and other activities by the United team at the end?  Didn't notice it on the coverage.

There were certainly a couple of judicious edits, including the close up of the ball boy flicking the V's at the United fans after Darren Jackson equalised.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

I think there were 3 red cards after the final whistle (McInally, Bowman and Clark(?) IIRC). Jim McInally lost the plot and fired the ball and his boots into the away end on the final whistle (which was quite funny to me at the time)

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I think there were 3 red cards after the final whistle (McInally, Bowman and Clark(?) IIRC). Jim McInally lost the plot and fired the ball and his boots into the away end on the final whistle (which was quite funny to me at the time)

There were 4 reds for the seething Arabs.

There is a link on wikipedia https://web.archive.org/web/20160811055058/http://www.dufcarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=1919

Jackson, Clark, McInally and Freddy van der Horn.

Bowman didn't spoil his MotM performance by getting sent off. McInally got the red card for chucking his boot at the ref, not for kicking the ball into the crowd.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1991/may/20/newsstory.sport

Quite apart from the extraordinary number of goals - this was the highest-scoring Scottish Cup final since Celtic's 6-1 demolition of Hibernian in 1972 - there were other dramatic incidents. And there may be more to come when, as seems likely, Jim McInally is disciplined by the Scottish Football Association for a fit of temper after the final whistle when he hurled a boot in the direction of the referee, David Syme.

McInally's frustration may have been understandable because Syme's performance did not come up to the players'. But Motherwell had far more reason to use him for target practice for his astonishing leniency when John Clark, the burly United defender, made two outrageous challenges on Ally Maxwell.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

This is Dave Bowman telling the story a couple of years ago

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/classic-scottish-cup-final-was-so-painful-for-dundee-united/

Believing Main had been fouled at the winning goal, several players confronted referee David Syme in the tunnel afterwards and that led to bans being dished out.

“Jimmy McInally had blisters so he’d taken his boots of out on the pitch and unfortunately one of them seemed to bounce off the ref’s head,” said goal scorer Bowman.

“We did certainly feel their fourth goal shouldn’t have stood so that, and the fact we lost, meant it might have been a classic final but for us there was no consolation.

“Thankfully, we went on to win the cup three years later.

“However, nothing really ever makes up for the ones you lost.”

So it seems the boot actually hit the ref in the head. I'm trying to find out how long a ban he got for it.