How are we all doing?

This thread should be interesting reading if the lockdown is extended by a further three weeks.
As an aside, this experience has given me a little insight into what retirement might look like and it’s not good.  OK we won’t have restrictions like we do now but getting up every morning with nothing ‘essential’ to do is not looking too appealing.

Na f**k that. Everyone I know who has retired says they cant remember how they managed to squeeze in a full time job.

Some of the ones who were dedicated to working openly admit regret at having worked too long.

The worst thing I can say about folk who don't opt to take a retirement once they can afford to is that I pity them, more than I pity any other group of people, at having reached that stage in life with their life still being so empty.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Na f**k that. Everyone I know who has retired says they cant remember how they managed to squeeze in a full time job.

Some of the ones who were dedicated to working openly admit regret at having worked too long.

The worst thing I can say about folk who don't opt to take a retirement once they can afford to is that I pity them, more than I pity any other group of people, at having reached that stage in life with their life still being so empty.

As a generalisation there may me some merit in that post.  But applying generalisations to individuals is not a sensible approach.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

^^^Civil Servant in the Pandemic Planning Department.

Look how it's all fallen seamlessly in to place though. God willing I survive this and I expect to be in the Honours List. But they'll probably waste my nomination on a nurse or somebody who'd be happier with a box of Celebrations.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I felt like going the full Peter Finch this morning, opening the window and shouting "I'm mad as hell" etc.

Didn't. Just used the frustration to do some tidying instead. Made some soup and now I'm lazing about like a well fed cat.

Tomorrow: repeat.

Aye, soup can be a bit gassy.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As a generalisation there may me some merit in that post.  But applying generalisations to individuals is not a sensible approach.

Yeah maybe. I work in an industry that takes time from you. For that reason, retirement is looked at with some reverence generally. 

When a friend retires, I can honestly say I could not be happier for them. I am bursting with joy to see pal get handed some time back to enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This thread should be interesting reading if the lockdown is extended by a further three weeks.

As an aside, this experience has given me a little insight into what retirement might look like and it’s not good.  OK we won’t have restrictions like we do now but getting up every morning with nothing ‘essential’ to do is not looking too appealing.

I'm loving it! (Retirement, rather than lockdown.)

2 minutes ago, HooseLee said:

The guy lost his legs in the Falklands war and you're taking the pish.  Out of order  the guy is a war hero.  

Did he tell you what side he was on?

Shift pattern at work includes a long weekend every third week, so not due back til Wednesday.

Normally absolutely buzzing when it comes around with plenty of plans to make the most of it, maybe a nice meal out or an overnight visit somewhere. Some time spent tackling the to do list around the house, or an away day at the fitba' if it ties in (how good does an away day sound right now)?. 

Not this time, obviously. Can't go anywhere, and unable to source materials required to crack on with work in the garden etc. Frustrating as f*ck, and it's only early a.m. on my first day off!! 

On another note, my teabreak yesterday was in Glasgow city centre and staff area was busier than I was comfortable with at this time, so I used the time for my daily exercise and went a walk around town instead. 

Extremely weird and eerily quiet. Looking along the whole length of Buchanan St, from top to bottom at 10 in the morning and counting only a dozen or so people, when there would normally be hundreds bustling around, was quite surreal. Suppose it means folk are following advice though. 

Is it too early for a T. ??!! 

26 minutes ago, DosserDel said:

Shift pattern at work includes a long weekend every third week, so not due back til Wednesday.

Normally absolutely buzzing when it comes around with plenty of plans to make the most of it, maybe a nice meal out or an overnight visit somewhere. Some time spent tackling the to do list around the house, or an away day at the fitba' if it ties in (how good does an away day sound right now)?. 

Not this time, obviously. Can't go anywhere, and unable to source materials required to crack on with work in the garden etc. Frustrating as f*ck, and it's only early a.m. on my first day off!! 

On another note, my teabreak yesterday was in Glasgow city centre and staff area was busier than I was comfortable with at this time, so I used the time for my daily exercise and went a walk around town instead. 

Extremely weird and eerily quiet. Looking along the whole length of Buchanan St, from top to bottom at 10 in the morning and counting only a dozen or so people, when there would normally be hundreds bustling around, was quite surreal. Suppose it means folk are following advice though. 

Is it too early for a T. ??!! 

It's 5 past four where I am - fill your boots! 

I've been working from home all week this week and I'm actually astounded at the difference to pretty much all aspects of my working life. I'm happier, I'm starting work at my actual start time rather than lying in bed to the last minute before rocking up right on the flexi-time deadline, I'm far more productive and silly things that would usually piss me off has been water off a ducks back. Usually I'd spend all day on here just to pass time but I've barely looked at it. Menial tasks that I've been putting off for months are now all done.

This global crisis is probably helping, I don't have customers phoning me giving me abuse because something wasn't delivered yesterday, they're all quite understanding and wishing me all the best. Same goes for people in general now really, everyone is being kind to each other, we're helping the elderly and vulnerable, we're housing the homeless, showing support for critical services (although financial support would probably help more) and most importantly we're all keeping ourselves clean and as healthy as possible. There really is no reason all that stuff should stop when we're allowed outside again, but I won't hold my breath.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Congratulations throbber 👍

Thanks mate. Probably not the best time to be pregnant but the staff at hospital really helped reassure the Mrs about it all so it has really lifted our spirits.