How are we all doing?

Been ok so far, everyone I care about are playing by the rules, which is one less worry. My granddaughter who is profoundly disabled, youngest son who has kidney problems, wife is frontline and obviously my 80 year old mum are the biggest concern. Not seeing the grandkids is hurting like hell, but FaceTime is helping. This site really comes into its own in tough times, I’ve never logged off yet without a smile on my face, stay safe guys and gals 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm much the same - always was. Actually there are times when I don't even want the company of our immediate family, there have been occasions when they visit I just disappear.

Conversely, missing the grandchildren, although 3 of the stepdaughters keep in regular touch, one was on "visual" phone the other day - no idea what it's called - 2 year old grandaughter grabbed the phone and shot upstairs to her eldest sister to show her granny.

I can imagine why some people find it hellish though, tbqh.

Yeah there must be some folk who are always in and out of each other’s houses.  It must be a huge culture shock for them adjusting to the new regime.

40 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Been ok so far, everyone I care about are playing by the rules, which is one less worry. My granddaughter who is profoundly disabled, youngest son who has kidney problems, wife is frontline and obviously my 80 year old mum are the biggest concern. Not seeing the grandkids is hurting like hell, but FaceTime is helping. This site really comes into its own in tough times, I’ve never logged off yet without a smile on my face, stay safe guys and gals 

I'll give you a smile- weeks of not having to buy a round eh? You must be in hog heaven! :P

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Sounds weird but today felt good because it reminded me of the old Sundays before the 90s when just about everything was closed and there was no traffic on the roads. 

That would have been the 1890s.

Cue “you’ll remember that ha ha”.

12 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I'm saying you should give whatever advice you need to and park it there with the worry, worrying does nowt for anyone, I know my kids worry about me but I implore them not to, it adds zero positivity to your life. 

When they regularly tell me on the phone that they understand the gravity of the situation before then informing me that they have plans to invite the neighbours over for drinks later in the week or go out for walks with friends, I don’t believe I can fully ‘park’ my advice or worrying. Not sure how you can determine that they are ‘bearing my burden’ more than vice versa. 

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Sounds weird but today felt good because it reminded me of the old Sundays before the 90s when just about everything was closed and there was no traffic on the roads. 

It's like the early 80s. The only things that were open were Boots and for some reason Habitat. We kids got to look at a lot of Terence Conran furniture that the folks couldn't afford. We also got taken to the museum a lot.

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

It's like the early 80s. The only things that were open were Boots and for some reason Habitat. We kids got to look at a lot of Terence Conran furniture that the folks couldn't afford. We also got taken to the museum a lot.

That’s right I remember going to MFI a lot. Cardboard televisions.

:lol:

In fact if the polis are checking up on where you're taking your exercise then I'm going to go back to my youth and go "garden hopping" among the schemes and tenements.

Probably get caught seeing as I'm unfit but it could be fun!

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I am at my most content when I am alone working in the house with total silence all day, every day so actually this is fine for me.

Funnily enough, it turns out that voluntarily working this way is fine but the second Boris mandated it, I immediately wanted to go out into public areas in an act of defiance. Only lasted a day. Fine now.

For those who recall my toilet blocking incident of some months ago, well there's been another incident.

My toilet blocked again this morning. And in a moment of pure joy which brought tears to the eyes of this proud dad, my youngest came into my office (she followed protocol by knocking and then being needlessly made to wait for 30 seconds in a show of power on my part before I acknowledged her by saying "Enter!"), and said "Daddy, there's a massive poo blocking the toilet ..... and it wasn't me who put it there". Those of you unfamiliar with my previous story will wonder why I was so proud of her for this? Simply because a few months ago, she'd have had no problem sitting on that pan and adding her own parcel to the swamp and then flushing the already full toilet causing another flood. Progress is progress.

dVWHBC6edUYV.gif.8c74864cf530e127936199b3cba20ef6.gif

I've been in self isolation for a bit longer than most as had a bit of a tickly cough and self isolated before the lockdown. 

Doing ok in the circumstances. I live by myself so am used to my own company.

I'm divorced, so missing my kids quite a bit. They would normally be here a few nights a week. Fortunately, I know their Mum is being very sensible. The thought of not seeing them for weeks/months is horrible however.

My Mum is doing as she's told as she is higher risk. She lives 50 miles away, but my Sister is keeping her in supplies. 

WFH at the moment. I'm only two months in to a new job, so still in my probation period. When the inevitable need to reduce headcount comes, I'll be the easiest to get rid of.

Crazy times. Stay safe a'body!

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If you are completely self isolating you can surely go round and see your kids? It'd be no different to you living together. 

We'll see how it goes. The ex is being super  cautious at the moment. She is of the point of view that as we live in different towns, are having to visit different shops etc is maybe increasing the risk and it also involves additional travel. 

Her job at the moment is involved with funerals, so she has a bit of a bleak outlook as to the whole situation in general.

Edited by Futureboy

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Good idea. Give the kids coronavirus. 

Thankfully it doesn't seem to do much to children. 

1 minute ago, Futureboy said:

We'll see how it goes. The ex is being super  cautious at the moment. She is of the point of view that as we live in different towns, are having to visit different shops etc is maybe increasing the risk and it also involves additional travel. 

Her job at the moment is involved with the funerals, so she has a bit of a bleak outlook as to how this will pan out.

Given the amount of social contact still going on in shops I'd say a father not seeing his kids is overkill. 

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Thankfully it doesn't seem to do much to children. 

Given the amount of social contact still going on in shops I'd say a father not seeing his kids is overkill. 

Unfortunate choice of phrase.

Been locked down for a week because I'm still a trainee. That's frustrating in itself. My Mrs hates being stuck in the house under normal circumstances so she's struggling a bit. We have been tagteaming the kids so aren't getting under each others feet. The oldest one loves her crafts and occupies herself at the best of times so she's fine. The baby has decided to start fighting her sleep and we think she's teething as well so her crying is fast becoming the soundtrack to our isolation which is getting to me at times.

Overall it's been OK but I really can't wait to get back to work. I love my days off but this really isn't a holiday. The feeling of not being allowed to go and do as I please outside gives me a smothering feeling but I try not to think about it.

I have a new found respect for unemployed people on minimum benefits. This is a necessity just now but if this was my day to day life I would very quickly fall into a depression I imagine. Days have absolutely no meaning just now. I went to put the bins out but it was the wrong day.