Changes made to football in the past generation - good and bad

16 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Football used to be a simple game with most decisions being black and white.  You just needed 4 jackets and a ball and off u go. You were either offside or no offside. There was no phases or interfering with play pish. Handball had to be deliberate there was no silhouettes or natural or un natural positions. Physical contact was allowed.  You were told always to go in for a challenge 100 percent or you may get hurt. Now if you go in 100 percent you get a red card whether you take the ball cleanly of not.  Yes in the 70s and 80s dangerous tackling was needing clamped down on to reduce injuries but it's gone far too much the other way. Apart from the pass back rule I cant really think of another rule change that has made football better. It was a great game that has been ruined by constant tinkering by folk that have never played the game.

You have nailed it for me, the only other thing I would change is defenders being able to shield/obstruct a forward from trying to get to a ball which they have no intention of playing miles from the touchline bring back the good old shoulder charge. It would be good to get some referees that are willing to keep the game going rather than have us watch them wag fingers self importantly 

59 minutes ago, peternapper said:

You have nailed it for me, the only other thing I would change is defenders being able to shield/obstruct a forward from trying to get to a ball which they have no intention of playing miles from the touchline bring back the good old shoulder charge. It would be good to get some referees that are willing to keep the game going rather than have us watch them wag fingers self importantly 

I concur mate.That is one of the most negative tactics in football which should've been outlawed years ago. Yet they're more bothered about which way you can kick the ball from centre.  Another is stopping bounce balls. Anything to prevent any physical contact what so ever. Bounce balls used to be a highlight of the game in the old days that really got the crowd going.

58 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I concur mate.That is one of the most negative tactics in football which should've been outlawed years ago. Yet they're more bothered about which way you can kick the ball from centre.  Another is stopping bounce balls. Anything to prevent any physical contact what so ever. Bounce balls used to be a highlight of the game in the old days that really got the crowd going.

We seem to be singing from the same sheet Shadwell Dog, are you per chance a grumpy old man like myself. 😄

Positives,  Passback rule, 3 points for a win, 10 team divisions (I know I'm in the minority here), Play offs, Pie & Bovril, League cup group system, the hospitality & lounge at Bayview. The work done by volunteers at smaller clubs, EFTV.

Negatives, Bosman ruling & the effect of football finances, especially at lower levels, squads changing completely every year or so, Sky tv, too much football on tv driving fans from attending the game, diving, VAR (lord don't bring that into Scotland), Non Champions in the 'Champions league', Pyramid system, Colts teams in the Challenge cup, Soulless & Characterless Meccano stadia, English Premiership, artificial pitches. People being negative towards our game often comparing it to the glitz & glamour of EPL, having never been to a game in their lives.

Guess the above tells me, I'm just a boring fart that doesn't like change & clearly more of a glass- half-empty kinda guy, but I knew that already!

I think the Champions League has been awful for football.

With a few exceptions, it has concentrated money and power in the hands of fewer than a dozen clubs, to the detriment of all others.

The matches are stale and lifeless. It doesn't matter who gets drawn in what group, you can pretty much pick 12 of the last 16 without too much guesswork required.

Give me the European Cup - champions only, unseeded draw - any day.

I think the Champions League has been awful for football.
With a few exceptions, it has concentrated money and power in the hands of fewer than a dozen clubs, to the detriment of all others.
The matches are stale and lifeless. It doesn't matter who gets drawn in what group, you can pretty much pick 12 of the last 16 without too much guesswork required.
Give me the European Cup - champions only, unseeded draw - any day.
It also ruins the leagues in smaller counties with small TV incomes by their champion League qualifier being awarded tens of millions of pounds.

This results in a massive imbalance in available funds for transfers and wages between teams within the same league.

For similar reasons, I was also against home teams keeping 100% of the matchday receipts.
(Admittedly this change was longer than a generation ago)