Changes made to football in the past generation - good and bad

23 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

What changes to football have you seen as positive and what has been negative?

Positive

1. The play-offs

2. The pass-back rule

Negative

1. 10 team leagues

2. Bosman (from smaller club perspective)

Agree on the positives and despite going to nearly all games I detest the 10 team set up. There is a staleness about playing 4 times and often more. Even the split might be less tedious.  I know what you mean about Bosman and the disappearance of the transfer market resources for smaller clubs but the previous contract laws/holding registrations was a real restriction on the ability of the worker to change jobs. I think I remember Airdrie making life really difficult for Chris Honour to move on in the early 90s. Its a question of the power of a business over the economic freedom of a worker, and we will all have differing views. The other bugbear for me is squad numbers beyond 1-11 ( and subs are ok to 18/19 if you don't like 13-an old fuddy duddy I am )

Positives:

Playoffs and league re-structuring

Online presence of smaller clubs with better media coverage.

Compared to a decade ago, it feels like more young people are going to games - lots of lower league clubs have an 'ultras' element which could be helpful in developing clubs moving forwards. 

Negatives

Sky and BT: There's an over-saturation of football for fans to watch. Regardless of the actions taken by the authorities, fans can easily watch top class football from their own home now either online or on TV.  Folk would rather this than trudge out to their local grounds in the freezing cold/rain. 

Agree on the positives and despite going to nearly all games I detest the 10 team set up. There is a staleness about playing 4 times and often more. Even the split might be less tedious.  I know what you mean about Bosman and the disappearance of the transfer market resources for smaller clubs but the previous contract laws/holding registrations was a real restriction on the ability of the worker to change jobs. I think I remember Airdrie making life really difficult for Chris Honour to move on in the early 90s. Its a question of the power of a business over the economic freedom of a worker, and we will all have differing views. The other bugbear for me is squad numbers beyond 1-11 ( and subs are ok to 18/19 if you don't like 13-an old fuddy duddy I am )

I used to think that about the squad numbers, but since we’ve started using them this season I think it makes us look a lot more professional. See a fair amount of kids (and unfortunately some adults) with players names and numbers on the back too. IMO it’d be better having it mandatory throughout the leagues.

38 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

See a fair amount of ...... adults with players names and numbers on the back too.

This, and this alone, should be more than enough reason for squad numbers/ player names on shirts to cease with immediate effect.

To add to this - it is incredibly creepy/ unnerving to see a grown man/ woman wearing a football shirt with the name/ number of someone half their age on the back. Quite clearly the behaviour of someone who should be on 'the list' IMO.

Edited by SimonLichtie

4 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I used to think that about the squad numbers, but since we’ve started using them this season I think it makes us look a lot more professional. See a fair amount of kids (and unfortunately some adults) with players names and numbers on the back too. IMO it’d be better having it mandatory throughout the leagues.

I did say I was an old fuddy duddy but I agree with you that in the modern world, it makes a lot of commercial sense. For years other fans had no idea who our players were because the numbers were too small to see, even if you had a team sheet. The names do matter to the upcoming fans and I have reluctantly endorsed it. I did notice on the Chase today that numbered jerseys only came in ( in England I presume) in 1933. Maybe my Dad who was an Airdrie fan then was also a traditionalist!  The other big change is that the facilities in our stadia are miles better , although the standing terraces did have more "atmosphere" .  Hope that Scott Stewart had a good intro to Gayfield sports, Take care

Positives:

Playoffs and league re-structuring

Online presence of smaller clubs with better media coverage.

Compared to a decade ago, it feels like more young people are going to games - lots of lower league clubs have an 'ultras' element which could be helpful in developing clubs moving forwards. 

Negatives

Sky and BT: There's an over-saturation of football for fans to watch. Regardless of the actions taken by the authorities, fans can easily watch top class football from their own home now either online or on TV.  Folk would rather this than trudge out to their local grounds in the freezing cold/rain. 

Agree with all of this but particularly the football on TV thing.

Too many people exposed to wall-to-wall top level football won’t even entertain going to a league one ground to watch the shite football on offer.

I never watch football on TV, doesn’t interest me unless Rovers are playing.

For me it’s all about the atmosphere and the tribalism and the sense of belonging to your club.... but if you decide you’re a Liverpool/ Man City/ PSG fan and can see ‘your team’ on telly every week you’ll never get the chance to experience the sheer ecstasy of a last minute equaliser away to Forfar.

And that’s a shame because that’s what football is about.

Ironic then that I think the biggest positive in the last decade or so is being able to see lower league diddy sides like mine in a highlights package every week.

8 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Agree with all of this but particularly the football on TV thing.

Too many people exposed to wall-to-wall top level football won’t even entertain going to a league one ground to watch the shite football on offer.

I never watch football on TV, doesn’t interest me unless Rovers are playing.

For me it’s all about the atmosphere and the tribalism and the sense of belonging to your club.... but if you decide you’re a Liverpool/ Man City/ PSG fan and can see ‘your team’ on telly every week you’ll never get the chance to experience the sheer ecstasy of a last minute equaliser away to Forfar.

And that’s a shame because that’s what football is about.

Ironic then that I think the biggest positive in the last decade or so is being able to see lower league diddy sides like mine in a highlights package every week.

I endorse what you say and the last bit about highlights, or even lowlights, is one I had not thought about. It's what I tend to check across the League we are in. I think club websites have also improved.  

12 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Positives... Play offs

Negative. The loss of the Polsteyrene cup for a proper bovril

Forfar still do bovril in a polystyrene cup, excellent it was too. Their bridies are very overrated though.

The introduction of the play offs was good and gives more teams something to aim for, but there's something slightly strange about finishing 4th in a 10 team league and still being able to go up :lol:

Got to say, I'm a huge fan of VAR for killing the immediate joy in Premier League games. They've chatted for years about big incidents like Lampard vs Germany in the World Cup and it's came back to bite them in the arse. I'd love to see more folk go to VAR-less games like the lower leagues when they aren't having to wait 2 minutes for a goal to be confirmed. 

Positives
Four divisions so smaller teams can win something
Moves towards a pyramid

Negatives
Voting a team with no history straight into the fourth tier in 2012
Failure of the other top 12 teams to reform the voting structure in 2012
Stupid rule changes e.g. new drop ball and substitution rules
VAR

Football used to be a simple game with most decisions being black and white.  You just needed 4 jackets and a ball and off u go. You were either offside or no offside. There was no phases or interfering with play pish. Handball had to be deliberate there was no silhouettes or natural or un natural positions. Physical contact was allowed.  You were told always to go in for a challenge 100 percent or you may get hurt. Now if you go in 100 percent you get a red card whether you take the ball cleanly of not.  Yes in the 70s and 80s dangerous tackling was needing clamped down on to reduce injuries but it's gone far too much the other way. Apart from the pass back rule I cant really think of another rule change that has made football better. It was a great game that has been ruined by constant tinkering by folk that have never played the game.

I did say I was an old fuddy duddy but I agree with you that in the modern world, it makes a lot of commercial sense. For years other fans had no idea who our players were because the numbers were too small to see, even if you had a team sheet. The names do matter to the upcoming fans and I have reluctantly endorsed it. I did notice on the Chase today that numbered jerseys only came in ( in England I presume) in 1933. Maybe my Dad who was an Airdrie fan then was also a traditionalist!  The other big change is that the facilities in our stadia are miles better , although the standing terraces did have more "atmosphere" .  Hope that Scott Stewart had a good intro to Gayfield sports, Take care

Scott Stewart struggled with injury a wee bit at the start of the season (Ian Campbell said that they discovered he’d been playing injured for over a year), but since then has been an important part of our team. Big fan of him.

Not sure if i class this a positive or a negative tbh as both have their arguments for and against but the change from 2 points for a win to 3 points for a win i think putting it back to 2 would be a positive for league challenges.

12 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Not sure if i class this a positive or a negative tbh as both have their arguments for and against but the change from 2 points for a win to 3 points for a win i think putting it back to 2 would be a positive for league challenges.

are you ray McKinnon? bet youd love two  draws to get you the same points as one win!

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

are you ray McKinnon? bet youd love two  draws to get you the same points as one win!

ooya thats below the belt for this time in the morning ..lol