Classic football - youtube

pandarilla

Fairly self - explanatory, and going on from bbc Scotland showing classic cup finals.

We've all got a lot of free time so what are the classic games that just need to be watched again?

The more obscure the better. But the classics are famous for a reason.

I'm currently enjoying the Milan Liverpool final. The utter dominance of Milan in the first half needs to be seen to be believed.

Edited to add just how fucking lucky liverpool were. Milan clearly got complacent (kaka is fixing his socks when the first come back goal goes in). The goals are from sheer determination and will-power rather than quality football. And the double save from dudek was ridiculous. Probably the most unexpected save of all time?

One of my favourite games ever, and maybe the best team performance I've ever seen, with such a dramatic and satisfying ending, was the Germany - Italy semi in 06.  

Italy were absolutely fucking stunning that night, and so brave. Four years earlier they had gone out to S Korea on golden goal after being in the lead and very comfortable. They shut up shop and were punished.

That game created a scar on the psyche of Italian football, catenaccio died that night in Sapporo forever. Then Juventus were relegated due to the match fixing scandal immediately before the WC in 06 and it was a shameful period for Italian football.

They went into that tournament with a cloud hanging over their entire game and country, and a squad entirely domestic based. Their performances and ultimate victory restored the pride in Italian football and acted as redemption for the whole country.

The sheer desire they showed that night was remarkable, allied with intelligence, discipline, tactical nous, patience, bravery and quality, they just would not be denied and I don't think I've ever seen a whole team function so well and completely. Every part of them was top drawer and at full tilt.

Lead by one of the game's great managers and personalities at the zenith of his powers, it was the crowning moment in his career and that of so many great players.

Going back to the bravery they showed and the death of catenaccio, bear in mind they were playing Germany in Germany, and a very good German side at that, they started the game with one striker on the park, went to two, and finished with three. 

Two of European and world football's real heavyweights going toe to toe on the biggest stage of all,thats as good as it gets, and from the Italians it was the most complete performance you'll ever see.

If I could go back and watch one game again, even although there have been some incredible Barcelona performances over the years, and experience it again, it would probably be that one.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

Man Utd vs Bayern 99 CL Final:

https://footballia.net/matches/manchester-united-bayern-munchen

Liverpool vs Arsenal at Anfield '09:

https://footballia.net/matches/liverpool-fc-arsenal-fc-premier-league-2008-2009

Chile vs Italy 1962, Italian commentary (Battle of Santiago):

https://youtu.be/QwLC_URnvcM

Motherwell vs Hibs 2010:

I have no idea how embed a YouTube video but Yugoslavia 3 - 4 Spain at Euro 2000 is a game that sticks with me. I always had a soft spot for Spain as perennial under achievers. I remover having to go into my works afterward telling people it was the greatest game of football iv ever seen. 

8 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

I have no idea how embed a YouTube video but Yugoslavia 3 - 4 Spain at Euro 2000 is a game that sticks with me. I always had a soft spot for Spain as perennial under achievers. I remover having to go into my works afterward telling people it was the greatest game of football iv ever seen. 

Only Platinum members and the P&B Bears are afforded this facility.  Happy to help you out: