Jump to content

Juniors teams that are linked with the old firm?


edinabear
 Share

Recommended Posts

If in 2020, we still need two sets of schools to teach wee kids that 2 + 2 = 4 so they can be brainwashed into identifying with a particular brand of sky fairy worship even though almost nobody under 60 goes to church regularly, it shouldn't be a huge shock when the tribalism that drives that absurdity continues to manifest itself in sport and culture.

For generations the Labour party that should have stood for rational secular humanism and working class unity happily went along with it, while the Tories were all too happy to keep the proles divided.  The SNP who could have made a difference have instead opportunistically tapped into the tribalism from back in the William Wolfe era right up to Alex Salmond in recent times as part of their politics of grievance. It's shite being Scottish and all the scenery in the world isn't going to change that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23 May 2020 at 09:32, LongTimeLurker said:

If in 2020, we still need two sets of schools to teach wee kids that 2 + 2 = 4 so they can be brainwashed into identifying with a particular brand of sky fairy worship even though almost nobody under 60 goes to church regularly, it shouldn't be a huge shock when the tribalism that drives that absurdity continues to manifest itself in sport and culture.

For generations the Labour party that should have stood for rational secular humanism and working class unity happily went along with it, while the Tories were all too happy to keep the proles divided.  The SNP who could have made a difference have instead opportunistically tapped into the tribalism from back in the William Wolfe era right up to Alex Salmond in recent times as part of their politics of grievance. It's shite being Scottish and all the scenery in the world isn't going to change that.

The bigot is having a giraffe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2020 at 12:42, Lokloyal said:

A lot of us living in Glasgow detest the Old Firm and that’s why we followed the juniors as you say.

Yet you'll still be happy to take the blue pound with the pollok treasurer rubbing his hands when no rangers game on a saturday pollok are at home. 

My brother in law constantly refers that you even have numerous comments on follow follow on a match day of people heading over to Iok games when rangers aren't playing you may be on a high horse but the reality is different. 

 

Edited by traffordab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2020 at 10:32, LongTimeLurker said:

If in 2020, we still need two sets of schools to teach wee kids that 2 + 2 = 4 so they can be brainwashed into identifying with a particular brand of sky fairy worship even though almost nobody under 60 goes to church regularly, it shouldn't be a huge shock when the tribalism that drives that absurdity continues to manifest itself in sport and culture.

For generations the Labour party that should have stood for rational secular humanism and working class unity happily went along with it, while the Tories were all too happy to keep the proles divided.  The SNP who could have made a difference have instead opportunistically tapped into the tribalism from back in the William Wolfe era right up to Alex Salmond in recent times as part of their politics of grievance. It's shite being Scottish and all the scenery in the world isn't going to change that.

That's what's referred to as a brain fart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way the Labour party in Scotland cosied up to the Roman Catholic church over the schooling issue in the first half of the 20th century was highly abnormal in terms of how socialist parties normally operated in that era elsewhere in Europe. Compare and contrast with how the socialist leaning parties and the Roman Catholic church were getting along in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror_(Spain)

End result was that the ancestral religious divide remains more significant than it might have if there had been a more mainstream form of socialist politics happening in working class communities and if that divide still pops up to the surface in a junior football context to some extent people really shouldn't be surprised. The powers that be in Scotland on both the left and the right were happy to have things stay that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, traffordab said:

Yet you'll still be happy to take the blue pound with the pollok treasurer rubbing his hands when no rangers game on a saturday pollok are at home. 

My brother in law constantly refers that you even have numerous comments on follow follow on a match day of people heading over to Iok games when rangers aren't playing you may be on a high horse but the reality is different. 

Reality is Ayrshire Junior fans were just Old Firm fans who couldnt get to Glasgow every other week so not sure what your point is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reality is Ayrshire Junior fans were just Old Firm fans who couldnt get to Glasgow every other week so not sure what your point is.
 

Id argue this is a factor in many clubs but perhaps not so much teams like Talbot where they appear to have a loyal (no pun intended) fan base. I dont doubt that on a whole ayrshire is a pretty ‘staunch’ place but perhaps its a lazy generalisation.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:


Id argue this is a factor in many clubs but perhaps not so much teams like Talbot where they appear to have a loyal (no pun intended) fan base. I dont doubt that on a whole ayrshire is a pretty ‘staunch’ place but perhaps its a lazy generalisation.

There's no perhaps about it. That ID exists for the sole purpose of causing bother. I would absolutely love to be a Mod on here sometimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The way the Labour party in Scotland cosied up to the Roman Catholic church over the schooling issue in the first half of the 20th century was highly abnormal in terms of how socialist parties normally operated in that era elsewhere in Europe. Compare and contrast with how the socialist leaning parties and the Roman Catholic church were getting along in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror_(Spain)

End result was that the ancestral religious divide remains more significant than it might have if there had been a more mainstream form of socialist politics happening in working class communities and if that divide still pops up to the surface in a junior football context to some extent people really shouldn't be surprised. The powers that be in Scotland on both the left and the right were happy to have things stay that way.

On the subject of causing bother...

1) Politics Thread for this p***

2) If this is the line you're taking then you don't know as much about socialism as you think you do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

There's no perhaps about it. That ID exists for the sole purpose of causing bother. I would absolutely love to be a Mod on here sometimes.

If you know that ID exists solely for that reason why did you decide to engage him in conversation a few minutes back in another thread?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you know that ID exists solely for that reason why did you decide to engage him in conversation a few minutes back in another thread?

Just for the craic?

I didn't realise I had. Thanks for pointing it out. I shall be extra specially vigilant for hereon in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2020 at 11:50, traffordab said:

Yet you'll still be happy to take the blue pound with the pollok treasurer rubbing his hands when no rangers game on a saturday pollok are at home. 

My brother in law constantly refers that you even have numerous comments on follow follow on a match day of people heading over to Iok games when rangers aren't playing you may be on a high horse but the reality is different. 

 

And yet our crowds are still the biggest in Scotland even when. Our fixtures are in direct competition with Rangers home games -so no we don’t need them at all.The fact that geographically they are the closest major senior football side to us is a factor we can do nothing about-unlike the geography of Ayrshire and the fact that wannabee OF fans wearing OF tops and turning up to support Beith or Kilbirnie have been consistently the worst behaved supports at Newlandsfield over the years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...